RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Massachusetts Radio Discussion Forum

Massachusetts Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Massachusetts.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 1:34 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default Any advice on what scanner I need?

Hello All. I live in Massachusetts, relatively close to a prison. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me decide what scanner I need to be able to listen to Massachusetts state prisons? Also Massachusetts state police. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 2:22 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kingman Arizona.
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceinthehole View Post
Hello All. I live in Massachusetts, relatively close to a prison. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me decide what scanner I need to be able to listen to Massachusetts state prisons? Also Massachusetts state police. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Looks like some MSP is on A p25 system, and some is on a Motorola smartzone system. I don't know about prisons, but I would probably recommend a p25 phase 2 scanner
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 2:40 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHAS12 View Post
Looks like some MSP is on A p25 system, and some is on a Motorola smartzone system. I don't know about prisons, but I would probably recommend a p25 phase 2 scanner
Pricing them out now! Thank you! Do you know how I can find out about the department of correction frequencies? Will I be able to pick them up on this scanner? Thank you again for your help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 3:14 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,753
Default

MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving prisoners around the state.

Cedar Junction and Concord are on a combination of UHF and conventional 800 Mhz channels.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information and recommendations.

Last edited by garys; 04-21-2017 at 3:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 3:19 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving patients around the state.

Cedar Junction and Concord are on a combination of UHF and conventional 800 Mhz channels.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information.
Thank you! I live in the route 2 corridor. I am interested in NCCI Gardner and the Shirley complex. Not sure what scanner I need to pick those up. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 3:26 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default

I am interested in NCCI Gardner and the Shirley complex. Just don't know which scanner to buy go listen in. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 3:40 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving prisoners around the state.

Cedar Junction and Concord are on a combination of UHF and conventional 800 Mhz channels.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information and recommendations.
NCCI gardner?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 5:27 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,753
Default

Information is here,
MA Department of Correction (DOC) - Scan New England Wiki

There is nothing at all digital used by the DOC.

If there are other things you want to listen to, then digital might be desirable. Also, in the future, there will be more systems moving to digital, either trunked or conventional. Worcester is already there, so if you want to listen to them, you'll need a digital scanner of some flavor.

Of course, you'll also have to decide if you want a new or used scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceinthehole View Post
NCCI gardner?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 7:01 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
Information is here,
MA Department of Correction (DOC) - Scan New England Wiki

There is nothing at all digital used by the DOC.

If there are other things you want to listen to, then digital might be desirable. Also, in the future, there will be more systems moving to digital, either trunked or conventional. Worcester is already there, so if you want to listen to them, you'll need a digital scanner of some flavor.

Of course, you'll also have to decide if you want a new or used scanner.
Just out of curiosity, would my radio shack pro-97 still be able to pick up NCCI Gardner? I can't get anything on that anymore. I greatly appreciate your reply.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2017, 8:31 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,753
Default

It will cover the frequencies and will work for Motorola Type II trunking. Whether it will receive the signals or not depends on how far you are from there, how much power the transmitters put out, and other variables. I would certainly try it since you already own it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceinthehole View Post
Just out of curiosity, would my radio shack pro-97 still be able to pick up NCCI Gardner? I can't get anything on that anymore. I greatly appreciate your reply.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions