Detroit Police Radio System Working After 2-Hour Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

WU8Y

Detroit Police Radio System Working After 2-Hour Shutdown « CBS Detroit

Detroit police say the department’s communications system is working properly again after a technical issue disrupted radio operations.

The department says a tower malfunction caused the system’s main server to overheat, resulting in a shutdown about 2:20 a.m. Monday that lasted about two hours. During the shutdown, officers were dispatched to high-priority calls via their personal cellphones.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Given previous failures I get the impression that system is held together with toothpicks and bubblegum.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
(a) Aren't they on MPSCS?

(2) If so, why didn't their radios just shunt to alternate sites when "theirs" went down?

SCPD

QRT
You forgot to add put together with electrical tape and duct tape combo along with silly glue and coat hangers. It is only as good as its designed and money put into it. If they didn't set it up properly it won't revert to any thing. What's more surprising is as many times this new system has failed don't they use fail soft or simplex? 110 watt mobile in simplex is allot when your on all or nothing moments. They must be on a new trunk system plan. Pay as you go and if you can.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
(a) Aren't they on MPSCS?

(2) If so, why didn't their radios just shunt to alternate sites when "theirs" went down?

Yes and no. They have a "spur" of MPSCS for the city. The city radios do not affiliate with non-city towers, except in special circumstances.

This keeps the city traffic corralled on to the city towers, so as not to impact the rest of the network.

A few years ago, during a major outage, the fire department's operations were on a couple of the statewide interoperability TG. I did not hear any police traffic, but they must have had something similar in effect.

Sent via Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If I recall one of the last big failures was when they attempted to test the backup.... Which promptly failed. Scary stuff to be without radios in any city, let alone Detroit.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yet another reason to stay out of Detroit! Even when the 911 system is up and working properly, getting he help you need in a timely manner is a crap-shoot at best!

No offense to the fine men and women working in PD/FD, and EMS, they all do their best! But the broken antiquated (or total lack of) equipment they're forced to work with is pathetic! :roll:

RayAir

They are very short staffed. Last I heard they were lucky to have 1-2 officers per 10 square miles when an ideal model would be 5-6.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They are very short staffed. Last I heard they were lucky to have 1-2 officers per 10 square miles when an ideal model would be 5-6.

As bad as Detroit is, I find that difficult to believe. Do you have any source of those numbers?

RayAir

As bad as Detroit is, I find that difficult to believe. Do you have any source of those numbers?

That is what I was told when working with a MCSO deputy during a training week back in 2010. Really don't want to divulge any other details I saw publically.

Golay

About 100

This video is four years old, and may not be accurate. At about 2:10, the narrator says that "at any given time, there are about 100 officers on the street".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNSrW6PAeI

As far as the subject of the original post, I thought that the last time the system went down, they said then that they were going to put up stand alone fallback repeaters throughout the city.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
I wish there were more information??

Was it simply a server overheating? if so why- everyone knows server room's gotta be kept cold

why no/ not enough redundancy

what the heck... wish we had more details on this. Even speculation on our part- anyone have any ideas? I am genuinely curious.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
If the server (or whatever they really mean) overheated, someone wasn't properly monitoring it or maintaining the equipment. The facility should have monitoring sensors of some sort that will alert the proper staff if the temperature on the equipment or in room reaches critical temperatures.

You'd think this would be something they do if all of their Fire, EMS, and Police run off the site with no backup.

opps2016

So let's clear a few things up. First off it wasn't a server that over heated, yes servers are temp controlled and monitored. A relay in the UPS failed which killed the core, which means no alarms could go out because of the total failure. Second the system is maintained by Motorola not the City. Most other non city users where able to roam outside the city towers unfortunatly the city tags don't roam outside of the city with a few exceptions, this particular issue falls squarely on the MPSCS.

If the server (or whatever they really mean) overheated, someone wasn't properly monitoring it or maintaining the equipment. The facility should have monitoring sensors of some sort that will alert the proper staff if the temperature on the equipment or in room reaches critical temperatures.

You'd think this would be something they do if all of their Fire, EMS, and Police run off the site with no backup.

RayAir

Is this just related to Detroit or is this a bigger issue?

Over the last few days I've heard things like "our computers are down again" and "in about 5 minutes all mobiles will be down for about 7 minutes, use your preps."

Maybe the mobiles or preps going down for a short time might be updates, but not sure why the computers are going down so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.