RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Michigan Radio Discussion Forum

Michigan Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Michigan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 6:49 AM

Ok
1st Community EMS is not on either talk group (other then A714 and A747 who run Southgate downriver) its all HealthLink and Regional EMS which has a shared dispatch. Some genius decide that we would have separate TG's but in dispatch be patched together so the dispatcher does not have to listen to two radios, however, did poor patchwork.
12211 is HealthLink and 12209 is REMS. If you are listening to 12211 you will hear HL clear and REMS garbled, and opposite when listening to 12209. Yes, that is the same in our trucks.

The trucks and dispatch all have 800mHz trunked radios, the crappy quality is the poor patch work not a VHF patch.

redfordman38 has it right other than the dispatch situation. I can only speak for HL and REMS. We have the same dispatcher with separate TG's 12211 and 12209 brought together on one radio for the dispatcher, which creates a patch (or whatever you want to call it) onto the other TG that is very bad quality.

CEMS, DMCE, and BMTS all have TG's but are not yet operational.
We all have a dispatch TG and a secondary TG

For now CEMS is on there VHF with no simulcast to the MPSCS, or any 800mHz.
I believe the CEMS dispatch freq also has DMCE and BMTS on it as well, with one dispatcher

Community EMS (part owned by Botsford Hospital) is a part owner in all the "joint venture companies"
Oakwood Healthlink, DMC Express, Botsford Medical Transportation Service, Regional EMS, and even linked with companies in Texas and Florida

any other question let me know and ill try to find out

Pro-96

Last edited by macari77; 02-11-2010 at 7:20 AM..
Sponsored links

Old 02-12-2010, 2:17 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by macari77 View Post
Ok
1st Community EMS is not on either talk group (other then A714 and A747 who run Southgate downriver) its all HealthLink and Regional EMS which has a shared dispatch. Some genius decide that we would have separate TG's but in dispatch be patched together so the dispatcher does not have to listen to two radios, however, did poor patchwork.
12211 is HealthLink and 12209 is REMS. If you are listening to 12211 you will hear HL clear and REMS garbled, and opposite when listening to 12209. Yes, that is the same in our trucks.

The trucks and dispatch all have 800mHz trunked radios, the crappy quality is the poor patch work not a VHF patch.

redfordman38 has it right other than the dispatch situation. I can only speak for HL and REMS. We have the same dispatcher with separate TG's 12211 and 12209 brought together on one radio for the dispatcher, which creates a patch (or whatever you want to call it) onto the other TG that is very bad quality.

CEMS, DMCE, and BMTS all have TG's but are not yet operational.
We all have a dispatch TG and a secondary TG

For now CEMS is on there VHF with no simulcast to the MPSCS, or any 800mHz.
I believe the CEMS dispatch freq also has DMCE and BMTS on it as well, with one dispatcher

Community EMS (part owned by Botsford Hospital) is a part owner in all the "joint venture companies"
Oakwood Healthlink, DMC Express, Botsford Medical Transportation Service, Regional EMS, and even linked with companies in Texas and Florida

any other question let me know and ill try to find out
Wow great info, finally answered most of my questions. I guess Rob was wrong, there is a 24/7 patch.
But I still don't understand why the patch is needed at all if there's 2 talkgroups. Why do REMS rigs need to hear HL calls/rigs and vice versa? I understand them both needing to hear the dispatcher, but why is the patch needed? Why does the dispatcher need to be on both TGs at the same time?

Last edited by Flintstone4680; 02-12-2010 at 2:52 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 6:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone4680 View Post
Wow great info, finally answered most of my questions. I guess Rob was wrong, there is a 24/7 patch.
When Fred says I was wrong, then I'll admit I was wrong...
Old 02-12-2010, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
When Fred says I was wrong, then I'll admit I was wrong...
I think Macari actually knows what he's talking about, he actually works for Health Link. Fred's a web designer and you're a TV weatherman who lives 60 miles away so why are you even on this thread?
Old 02-12-2010, 9:22 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know Macari nor do I know his radio tech experience. I'm not saying he's wrong, but his story doesn't completely match up with what most people here know to be true. I can't see how a talkgroup patch can have issues. Most (all?) talkgroup patches are not physical connections that can be scratchy, but "computerized" for lack of a better term. That's all I'm saying.

(PS Fred is a little more than a "web designer" and I am a little more than a "TV weatherman." So watch who you're insulting when people are trying to help.)
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2010, 9:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know Macari nor do I know his radio tech experience. I'm not saying he's wrong, but his story doesn't completely match up with what most people here know to be true. I can't see how a talkgroup patch can have issues. Most (all?) talkgroup patches are not physical connections that can be scratchy, but "computerized" for lack of a better term. That's all I'm saying.

(PS Fred is a little more than a "web designer" and I am a little more than a "TV weatherman." So watch who you're insulting when people are trying to help.)
I wasn't "insulting" either of you, I was just saying you don't seem to know what you're talking about. Yeah you got your ham tickets but you obviously don't know squat when it comes to complicated radio systems like the MPSCS. Also, you don't live in Flint, you can't monitor the talkgroups in question and you know nothing about the companies that use them. If you have more questions than answers when you read the original post, just move on to the next one and quit wasting everyone's time.

Last edited by Flintstone4680; 02-12-2010 at 9:29 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 9:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It has nothing to do with ham tickets either. Since I have had a MPSCS radio on my desk for nearly 10 years (not a scanner, a MPSCS radio,) and was the first person with a digital scanner for receiving MPSCS signals in the state, and have gone through MPSCS training from the state, I would just stop with the assumptions if I were you.
Old 02-12-2010, 9:35 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with ham tickets either. Since I have had a MPSCS radio on my desk for nearly 10 years (not a scanner, a MPSCS radio,) and was the first person with a digital scanner for receiving MPSCS signals in the state, and have gone through MPSCS training from the state, I would just stop with the assumptions if I were you.
Whatever, you have been completely useless in this thread, you haven't answered a single thing I've asked, all you want to do is argue and contradict me and be a know it all, and ask 3 questions for every 1 that I ask.

And owning an MPSCS radio doesn't make you an expert on the system. Any Tom Dick or Harry can buy one on ebay for the right price.
Thats like watching House and then thinking you're ready to practice medicine.

Anyways, getting back on topic,Macari is 100% right about the audio quality. When HL rigs talk on 12209, it sounds terrible, almost like a weak AM broadcast station, its all garbled, buzzy and staticy. But when REMS rigs talk its crystal clear. Something was definitely screwed up when that patch was made and it has got to be fixed ASAP, or just deleted altogether.

Last edited by Flintstone4680; 02-12-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Maybe its not a "patch", call it what you want. I do know for sure that on the Dispatch radio console it is on Dispatch CH 1.

The reason for having the two TG brought together is so the dispatcher can listen to one radio and we wont be talking over each other. Why we dont just all go to one TG or the other, no idea.

Pro-96
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Any Tom Dick or Harry can buy one on ebay for the right price.
That is not true.

Quote:
I understand them both needing to hear the dispatcher, but why is the patch needed?
My guess would be that they are patched so one dispatcher can effectively dispatch all of the units. I don't know if you have any experience with public safety radio use (or anything similar) but it's awful hard to work with two different talkgroups at the same time. If they are patched then they won't divide the dispatcher's attention and step on each other.

Why they don't all just hop onto the same talkgroup and dump the patch...I'm not positive. MPSCS does restrict most talkgroups to a certain geographical area to save system resources and limit "system busy" problems. That could be what happened with these two talkgroups and they are trying to get around the problem by applying a patch, I doubt it though because the NCC would probably tell them to stop. Subpar equipment and incorrect patching could cause the audio quality problems.

I've gotta say Flintstone4680, you seem pretty worked up over this whole thing considering you have no stake in it other than listening in. Money is a huge roadblock in doing the MPSCS thing right plus they are out of room for now....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaw View Post
That is not true.

My guess would be that they are patched so one dispatcher can effectively dispatch all of the units. I don't know if you have any experience with public safety radio use (or anything similar) but it's awful hard to work with two different talkgroups at the same time. If they are patched then they won't divide the dispatcher's attention and step on each other.

Why they don't all just hop onto the same talkgroup and dump the patch...I'm not positive. MPSCS does restrict most talkgroups to a certain geographical area to save system resources and limit "system busy" problems. That could be what happened with these two talkgroups and they are trying to get around the problem by applying a patch, I doubt it though because the NCC would probably tell them to stop. Subpar equipment and incorrect patching could cause the audio quality problems.

I've gotta say Flintstone4680, you seem pretty worked up over this whole thing considering you have no stake in it other than listening in. Money is a huge roadblock in doing the MPSCS thing right plus they are out of room for now....
Well like I said its pretty annoying trying to listen to local EMS rigs when half the traffic is AM radio quality stuff from 2 counties over.
Old 02-12-2010, 3:45 PM

I locked it out months ago
Old 02-12-2010, 4:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I Looked all over that fred guys web page. moses.bz - About Me didn't see anything about him being a web developer... By the looks of it he has people for that..
Old 02-12-2010, 6:58 PM

Default Too much Freds on my hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8fsm View Post
I Looked all over that fred guys web page. moses.bz - About Me didn't see anything about him being a web developer... By the looks of it he has people for that..
I think the posts about Fred this and Fred that, is referring to Flintstone, not you. But I could be sadly mistaken.
Old 02-12-2010, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyandotte View Post
I think the posts about Fred this and Fred that, is referring to Flintstone, not you. But I could be sadly mistaken.
I'm not Fred. I'm talking about w8fsm. He told me he built websites for Tri County Times.

Last edited by Flintstone4680; 02-12-2010 at 9:06 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2010, 7:40 PM
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

To simplify things in our database, would it be better if we grouped this all under "Botsford Health System?"

73s

Ron
Old 02-14-2010, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
To simplify things in our database, would it be better if we grouped this all under "Botsford Health System?"

73s

Ron
Negative

Under Community EMS like it is
but:

12211 Should be HealthLink EMS Dispatch

12212 may be HealthLink EMS Alternate Dispatch, but ill double check and let you know.

ill get the rest of the companies TGs even though they are inactive for now, they should be up shortly

Pro-96
Old 02-14-2010, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Negative

Under Community EMS like it is
but:

12211 Should be HealthLink EMS Dispatch

12212 may be HealthLink EMS Alternate Dispatch, but ill double check and let you know.

ill get the rest of the companies TGs even though they are inactive for now, they should be up shortly
tell them to fix the crappy patchwork while you're at it
Old 02-14-2010, 6:08 PM

we have all complained about it. They will change it once the companies grow even more that 2 dispatchers are needed.

Pro-96
Old 02-14-2010, 6:13 PM

Quote:
we have all complained about it. They will change it once the companies grow even more that 2 dispatchers are needed.
I hope its soon.