St. Clair River Float Down Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

firephotographer50

Premium Subscriber
Hey Everyone,

There may be some interesting listening today from around noon till 5pm. The annual St. Clair River Float down is supposed to take place today. People will be entering the water by Lighthouse Beach (north of the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron) and exiting the river in Marysville at Chrysler Beach. Last year the Port Huron Fire Department, US Coast Guard, Clay Twp FD, Ira FD and many others were on the water trying to keep people safe. I heard that there were close to a thousand people that floated down the river last year. The coast guard is closing the river to all motorized river craft from noon till 5pm today. Last year they used many of the G, H and I-EVENT channels along with each individual FD's TG on the MPSCS system. This morning I've heard a lot of traffic on G-Event 5, but I'm sure more TG will open up as the event progresses.

Just wanted to give a heads up.
Thanks.

tcg

I just got in and turned on the scanner. Sounds like a mess up there. They're pulling people out left and right. Add in the international water thing and they have their hands full.

If I wasn't so tired I'd take a ride up there with the camera.

QwKiE

yes you are right

Lots were missing and pulling lots in with Sheriff and coast guard by the black river I heard a tornado warning for lower lake huron in affect right now to. I have heard them from both sides Canada and US 4 and 5 at a time are being I guess like saved. MPSCS chanel 7

firephotographer50

Premium Subscriber
The float down is an annual event that takes place about this time of year. Back in the 1980s it was a huge event with thousands either participating in the water or watching from the sidelines. Then the Coast Guard put an end to the event for close to twenty years. Now the citizens of Port Huron are restarting the tradition and it seems to be getting larger each year.

The agencies I heard and observed when I went today included the Ira Twp. Fire Department, St. Clair Fire Department, Marine City Fire Department, Algonac Fire Department, Marysville Fire Department--all for their rescue boats--the Port Huron Fire Department for Chief 2, Rescue 1, Squad 1 and Rescue Craft 13, Tri-Hospital EMS with multiple rigs stationed along the shore, St. Clair County Sheriff Marine Division, Sarnia Police Boats, St. Clair County Sheriff Dive Team, Macomb County Sheriff Marine Division, Port Huron Police Bike Patrol, United States Boarder Patrol, United States Department of Homeland Security Helicopter and the United States Coast Guard with multiple vessels and their helicopter.

Anyone wishing to see pictures of the public safety vehicles from this event can see them at my website (see the url in my signature).

QwKiE

the word was

USCG pulled over 645+ from the water exhusted or very cold could not get to shore and Canada was doing the same on the other side of the Lake St Claire I was watching from the river cam lotsa people involved was kinda funny watching all the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.