RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Michigan Radio Discussion Forum

Michigan Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Michigan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 4:28 PM
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

WARNING! Stay on topic, or start another thread about online audio feeds hurting our hobby in Michigan.

73's

Ron

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 12-29-2012 at 5:24 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2013, 6:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We are into February and still no change. Are they having problems or maybe the change is not going through?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman10 View Post
We are into February and still no change. Are they having problems or maybe the change is not going through?
The problem is that the U of M and Washtenaw County analog trunking systems need to reband first, before the new Downriver TRS can go online. Two of channel pairs belong to the aforementioned entities, which need to be cleared first. With that said, the U of M should be rebanding within in the next 45 days if all goes well. However, Washtenaw County has been pushed back until June, 2013.

73's

Ron

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 02-10-2013 at 2:36 AM..
Old 02-09-2013, 1:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

the longer it takes the better for us. before the new systems goes encryption
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, hopefully it takes forever! Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.
Old 02-22-2013, 6:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I need help! I recently bit the bullet and bought a BCD396XT Digital Scanner so that I can monitor Police and Fire in Southeast Michigan. I live in Flat Rock so this system is of interest to me. I was an avid scanner listener until the mid 90's and stopped when everything went digital trunked due to the cost to monitor it. I've tried programming my scanner to pick up the new system and get nothing. Seems like the learning curve is pretty steep. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Uniden's documentation is a joke; I found the easier to read scanner instructions which seem to help a little but really could use a hand. I'm not a complete idiot; I've been a ham for 20 + years and understand radio which really makes this frustrating.
Old 02-22-2013, 9:16 PM

Default Downriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8QGC View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I need help! I recently bit the bullet and bought a BCD396XT Digital Scanner so that I can monitor Police and Fire in Southeast Michigan. I live in Flat Rock so this system is of interest to me. I was an avid scanner listener until the mid 90's and stopped when everything went digital trunked due to the cost to monitor it. I've tried programming my scanner to pick up the new system and get nothing. Seems like the learning curve is pretty steep. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Uniden's documentation is a joke; I found the easier to read scanner instructions which seem to help a little but really could use a hand. I'm not a complete idiot; I've been a ham for 20 + years and understand radio which really makes this frustrating.
Sorry John, I got a Radio Shack, so not too sure on the Uniden.
Look at the link below. You don't need to enter all 20 frequencies that Downriver uses into your scanner.
If it works like mine, you only need to enter the control channel, 868.750, and the scanner will use the control channel to scan the other 19 freqs for you.

Most Downriver cities dispatch on their own primary dispatch channel(see list in link), but Flat Rock generally dispatches on "Police - South Area Primary" When you get your scanner going, the 5-digit numbers on the left side of this link will be what you see your scanner display.

It's better to find some sort of "Programming Unidens for Dummies" somewhere on the net, instead of trying to use the manual. First and foremost, learn how to lockout talkgroups. You will soon lose interest in everything north of Pennsylvania. I got lucky, there are many sites that show how to program my Shack scanner, I'm sure there are many for yours too.

Downriver Mutual Aid Public Safety System Trunking System, SE Wayne County, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited by Wyandotte; 02-22-2013 at 9:25 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but I need help! I recently bit the bullet and bought a BCD396XT Digital Scanner
You might want to visit the Uniden Web site, and install the latest firmware for your scanner. This will help to clear up any audio or performance problems. You can download it off the Web.

Uniden Web site

73's

Ron
Old 02-23-2013, 6:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Update...

Thanks fellas; really I was loosing it!

I got the adapter cable to attach my scanner to my laptop and downloaded the firmware update. Then I got Freescan and built up the system using the software.

I have no clue about what I did or how I did it which is scary however now it works like a champ....

Thanks for the tips... Now that I've took the plunge and paid the $$$ to monitor them they are going to go encrypted ? That majorly sucks!
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 8:33 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Thanks for the tips... Now that I've took the plunge and paid the $$$ to monitor them they are going to go encrypted ? That majorly sucks!
Thats just what a lot of people assume. No one will really know for sure until the system is up & running and you are listening to it.
Old 02-23-2013, 4:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Glad you got it working, I was going to suggest Butel Arc Patrol, that is what I use for my Uniden BC785D and it was a breeze. I live in Brownstown very close to Flat Rock and have been listening to scanners in downriver for quite some time. I still have my BC785D, I let my brother use it, it's still a great scanner. When you get one of these working well you have a feeling of accomplishment. I now use a Home Patrol 1 and a GRE PSR-800, but in the end they all work about the same.
Old 02-25-2013, 9:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yeah no kidding thanks guys...

I'm a scanner guy from way back.. When I started listening to PD and Fire North Downriver PD was on 155.490 and South Downriver PD was on 155.640 VHF Simplex. Most of downriver fire was on the same freq but I don't remember it.

I quit monitoring when they all started this 800 Mhz digital crap. Didn't want to part with the $$$ to listen to them.

I was wondering why I never heard Flat Rock PD on their dispatch channel.. I hadn't programmed the mutual aid talk groups. After you guys pointed me to that I did and got em all now..

The curve is steep but I think I'm finally making some headway. I got downriver, western wayne, and a lot of MSP stuff programmed. Gonna work on Detroit next I work downtown.

Good to be back in the hobby.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

I heard from a reliable source that Cassidian is adding a 5th radio tower in the area of I-75 and West Road. Apparently, the base for the tower has been poured. Can anyone confirm this?

73's

Ron
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is a new tower that is standing there!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Quote:
There is a new tower that is standing there!
How tall would you say it is?

Ron

Last edited by Thunderbolt; 03-21-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2013, 1:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe 80 or 100 feet? I was wondering what it might be for.
Old 05-11-2013, 5:09 PM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

From a reliable source, this TRS may start out as a P25 Phase II, rather than a traditional Phase I. Apparently, Cassidian wants to make this system a "technical showcase" of their capabilities in delivering next generation P25 data and voice interoperability solutions. However, no final decision has been made at this time regarding what phase it will operate in.

73's

Ron
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Default New tower

There is a new tower going up at West Jefferson and Vreeland road in Trenton. If you look close at the picture, you can see the safety wire securing the workman up there. I assume this is not a cell tower because there is an existing cell tower about a quarter of a mile down the road. Do you think this is part of the new Downriver Mutual Aid system?
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

A new radio tower has been erected on Schaeffer Highway, north of Greenfield and the Rouge River. Apparently, it's 400' tall and has lights on it. Sounds like this might be part of a new radio system, or part of the Downriver Mutual Aid Project 25 TRS?

73's

Ron
Old 06-22-2013, 5:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i wondering if someone confirm the following details of the current downriver system
The system has not been rebanded yet and
Coverage Type: SmartNet
Digital Mode: CQPSK

Also if anyone has had success monitoring this with the no affilate menthod would be curious to hear from you. This system is giving me a hell of a time
thanks
Email : kd8eyf - at - digitalham.info

Last edited by KD8EYF; 06-22-2013 at 5:41 PM..

Tags