Downriver Mutual Aid Project 25 TRS Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The Downriver Mutual Aid Authority has hired Cassidian Communications, Inc. to build their new Project 25 TRS. The new digital radio system should be completed by the end of the year, with everyone switched over to the new network. This is the discussion thread for all posts regarding this new radio system. Please post your findings here.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Ron.
So the way I read it, Cassadian will be providing the repeaters and backbone and PSAP stuff, and Downriver going to buy the handhelds and mobiles from someone else. Maybe Cassadian can bid on that too.

Think this will still be P25? Or some other sort of thing, like Tetra?

Wonder why the article says they need new towers. Seems like they got 4 good towers already. Wonder if the one in Flat Rock is actually owned by the state? It's a mirror image of the state tower 1/4 mile away. Maybe the state paid for three of the four. A Riverview official told me they own the tower on the land preserve. I'm not sure if he meant it belong to Downriver Mutual Aid, or it belong to the city of Riverview. It was erected before Downriver went 800, and they were cell phones carriers on it before Downriver.

Thunderbolt

Thanks Ron.
So the way I read it, Cassadian will be providing the repeaters and backbone and PSAP stuff, and Downriver going to buy the handhelds and mobiles from someone else. Maybe Cassadian can bid on that too.

This should be interesting, as the mobile and portable radios will going out to bid very shortly. I understand the new Downriver TRS, will take advantage of 256-bit AES Encryption key standard, possibly even using triple-phase technology. As to how this will be applied, is anyone's guess at this time?

Think this will still be P25? Or some other sort of thing, like Tetra?

Yes, this will be a P25 Phase One TRS, but it will be upgradeable to Phase-II technology once an industry standard is agreed upon.

Wonder why the article says they need new towers. Seems like they got 4 good towers already. Wonder if the one in Flat Rock is actually owned by the state? It's a mirror image of the state tower 1/4 mile away. Maybe the state paid for three of the four. A Riverview official told me they own the tower on the land preserve. I'm not sure if he meant it belong to Downriver Mutual Aid, or it belong to the city of Riverview. It was erected before Downriver went 800, and they were cell phones carriers on it before Downriver.

From what I gather, they will be upgrading the current radio towers incrementally. They will reduce the number of frequency pairs on the old system as users migrate from the old Motorola Type-II TRS, to the new P25 TRS. Once the last agency switches over, the old system will be deactivated. It's all a part of a planned migration process.

73's

Ron

SCPD

QRT
Encryption

.... I understand the new Downriver TRS, will take advantage of 256-bit AES Encryption key standard, possibly even using triple-phase technology ....

I hope the only system I listen to does not becomes unmonitorable.

Do you know, In this sort of encryption, does the key change all the time? Or does it stay the same? Or is that a choice during set up, to have it change on a regular basis or stay the same key for a while?

I'm going to read up on what triple phase technology is.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Regardless of what it means - the end result will be the same. You will never hear it again.

nsrailfan6130

Should get interesting for some of the borderland communities (referring to Romulus, as well as Huron & Sumpter Townships, & South Rockwood) as far as interops when downriver goes encrypted.

SCPD

QRT
Inter Ops

Should get interesting for some of the borderland communities (referring to Romulus, as well as Huron & Sumpter Townships, & South Rockwood) as far as interops when downriver goes encrypted.

I'm sure there will be some sort of bridge set up.

Although they are technically Monroe County, without a doubt, South Rockwood will be on the new Downriver system. It's the same community. To have them on two systems that can't hear and talk to each other "live" would be like having Dearborn split between East and West. They go back and forth more than a politician running for office.

If I remember right, Rockwood is 13-1 thru 13-6, and South Rockwood is 13-7 and 13-8 on Downriver. And I believe Rockwood is the PSAP for both. I usually have the talkgroups that far south locked out, so that may not be right any more.

MrMushroom

Premium Subscriber
I to listen to downriver hope they don't crypt everything. Good thing i didnt buy the new psr800 or the pro108 was looking at them the other day. I guess soon almost everything will be encryped only reason i bought the 106 was for downriver

jzq1vk

Downriver Mutual Aid

I to listen to downriver hope they don't crypt everything. Good thing i didnt buy the new psr800 or the pro108 was looking at them the other day. I guess soon almost everything will be encryped only reason i bought the 106 was for downriver

Exactly. I've enjoyed listening to them for the last 4+ years with my 396T, but I may just put it up for sale and find another hobby if they encrypt everything. If I can't listen to what's going on in my own backyard then what's the point of having my own scanner. I realize there's a lot of other stuff to listen to, but nothing else really interests me other than local police and fire.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Is anyone even sure that everyone is going encrypted? Just because the system has that feature does not mean that everyone is going to use it.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks

I read up a little on this CORp25 today. Thanks for giving me something to do at work, Ron.
Please keep us posted if you get any info on the radios that are going to be used.

tjdey

Downriver Central Dispatch Talkgroups gone missing?

(Ron - I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post in advance - I'm not sure what's correct.)

After a number of years of monitoring local police dispatch in Lincoln Park, MI I have lost the ability to pick up this township's police/fire dispatch. This is 95% of the use I get out of this radio. Radio Reference shows this town is still part of the Downriver Mutual Aid Public Safety System Trunking
System and gives TGID's:

Downriver Mutual Aid Public Safety System Trunking System, SE Wayne County, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies

I have tried Talk Group ID's 49456 (Lincoln Park Police Dispatch) and 50480 (LP/Wyandotte/Southgate/Allen Park joint dispatch - see above link). I used to get the joint dispatch TGID just fine until about a month ago - now just silence. I still hear all secondary LP radio traffic. Does anyone know of a new frequency, or whether they have gone encrypted? Most if not all other Downriver TGID's are still working fine, obviously not encrypted. This makes me hopeful LP dispatch might still be heard.

Thanks in advance,

Tim D.

Thunderbolt

From here on out until the new Project 25 TRS is up and running, the existing Motorola ASTRO TRS, will have some talkgroup changes done. I am not sure about which agencies these changes will affect, but I understand that all of the consoles will need to be reconfigured and upgraded. This may cause certain talkgroups to be patched into others. It would be a good idea to leave your scanners open in search mode to find these changes.

73s

Ron

I'm listening to Downriver Central Dispatch right now on 50480. I listen to DRCD daily and I haven't noticed any issues here. I also hear them patched on 49456. So both of those talkgroups are active with DRCD.

tjdey

Fixed it - thank you!

Geomagnetic Storm - yep, you're right... they're still there. Once I had your assurance that this was the case, I went back into my scanner settings, deleted the old settings and entered the Downriver dispatch data from scratch. I'm not sure what got corrupted, but it works now.

Many thanks indeed!

-Timothy

N8TXX

Scanner Enthusiast
Geomagnetic Storm - yep, you're right... they're still there. Once I had your assurance that this was the case, I went back into my scanner settings, deleted the old settings and entered the Downriver dispatch data from scratch. I'm not sure what got corrupted, but it works now.

Many thanks indeed!

-Timothy
Hi Tim, I don't seem to be picking up Lincln Park anymore? Do you know what you did to fix it?
Thanks,
Tom

SCPD

QRT
Vhf?

Hi Tim, I don't seem to be picking up Lincln Park anymore? Do you know what you did to fix it?
Thanks,
Tom

You know, in the database, there's been a new listing under LP for a few months now.
155.580 Says its MotoTrbo. And it's Police/Citizen's Watch.
If you're not hearing LP anymore, could they be over there?
I'll start paying attention, see if I notice any VHF antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.