When is Livonia going to be switched over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdm2172

It has been over 40 days and still Livonia has not switched over. Does anyone know when they will move to the new system?

szron

So after MPSCS will switch to TDMA (I assume there will be no scanners for that) Livonia will leave their old EDACS and join right?
What about neighboring cities. I always wondered why Livonia wasn't in Western Wayne Mutual system. And what will happen to Wester Wayne Mutual? Will those cities join into MPCSC eventually (or at least link TGs).

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
So after MPSCS will switch to TDMA (I assume there will be no scanners for that) Livonia will leave their old EDACS and join right?
What about neighboring cities. I always wondered why Livonia wasn't in Western Wayne Mutual system. And what will happen to Wester Wayne Mutual? Will those cities join into MPCSC eventually (or at least link TGs).

For now, the MPSCS will remain a Phase 1 system. Hopefully, by the time they decide to start migrating to TDMA Phase 2 technology, there will be a scanner on the market that can decode this new modulation method. With that said, Livonia will switchover to the MPSCS, and deactivate their old EDACS TRS in the near future. Then the frequencies from the old Livonia TRS will become part of the MPSCS.

The reason Livonia was never a part of the Western Wayne Mutual Aid (WWMA) TRS, was incompatibility of radio technology used by both systems. Currently, the WWMA TRS, is at the end of it's lifespan and needs to be replaced. They are evaluating the best options for them to pursue in upgrading to Project 25 technology.

It is strongly hoped the WWMA will not follow the same direction that Downriver Mutual Aid (DMA) chose in going with a different radio vendor other than Motorola. This will make them an isolated island, rather than being on the same network as the rest of Wayne County, much like the Oakland County OpenSky system that has had the same effect in isolating them from the rest of Michigan. Hopefully, the WWMA will make an announcement shortly on which direction they are going to move in.

73s

Ron

szron

It is strongly hoped the WWMA will not follow the same direction that Downriver Mutual Aid (DMA) chose in going with a different radio vendor other than Motorola. This will make them an isolated island, rather than being on the same network as the rest of Wayne County, much like the Oakland County OpenSky system that has had the same effect in isolating them from the rest of Michigan. Hopefully, the WWMA will make an announcement shortly on which direction they are going to move in.

73s

Ron
WWMA is at the end of lifespan? It's a digital system after all...

And I would be truly afraid that they might go into Oakland's OpenSky. They have all their databases with them (CLEMIS and RMS)...

Well... I hope that they will switch to MPSCS and actually utilize it's features. Even in WWMA they never (at least when I was there for a year) used MA TGs that they have at their disposal. And there was plenty of occasions (Franks Furniture to name one).

kd8ati

Feed Provider
WWMA is at the end of lifespan? It's a digital system after all...

And I would be truly afraid that they might go into Oakland's OpenSky. They have all their databases with them (CLEMIS and RMS)...

Well... I hope that they will switch to MPSCS and actually utilize it's features. Even in WWMA they never (at least when I was there for a year) used MA TGs that they have at their disposal. And there was plenty of occasions (Franks Furniture to name one).

That is still true. On a rare occasion (for PD) they might talk to each other on the C2C TG or the direct dispatch on the city they want. For Auto-Aid FD activations the responding agencies will just tune right to the fire dispatch for the city they are responding to.

As far as dispatcher to dispatcher for BOL's, or other mostly police related activity, they still heavily use the 155.370 Intercity freq. As far as outside Western Wayne... Southfield, WCSO, MSP station 20, Detroit (if they answer), Novi, and most of the communities along and north of M-14 and west of I-275 in Wayne County all have Intercity capability. Sometimes they also use Statewide 2 on MPSCS.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like this morning was the day. So far PD-911 has been all encrypted. Fire is in the clear and also broadcasting on 155.625. Current CC is 868.8250

Paul

szron

craptastic....

If WWMA will switch to MPSCS they will be also encrypted? Eh... seems that the community will loose anything to listen.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Sounds like this morning was the day. So far PD-911 has been all encrypted. Fire is in the clear and also broadcasting on 155.625. Current CC is 868.8250

Paul

Does anyone know why Livonia PD went encrypted? That one kind of threw me for a loop. Is this just a test of their encryption capabilities or is this permanent?

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Another question...

I have heard people who are on the Wayne CO Sim like Livonia affiliating to other towers like Southfield. Does anyone know if this is going to be true of all users on the Wayne CO Sim or just some? The reason I ask is because trying ti decode this sim is almost has bad is trying to decode Detroit's Sim. If I can get the same signal on a non-simulcast tower, I will try.

DougG2001

Livonia has always wanted the police unmonitorable. Years ago they kept trying to fully take all pd coms to digital on their old system, but the system kept crashing. So I guess they finally got their wish to be unmonitorable. Just wait I bet an officer will hit the encrypt button by mistake unless they programmed everything so they can't take encrypt off

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Does anyone know why Livonia PD went encrypted? That one kind of threw me for a loop. Is this just a test of their encryption capabilities or is this permanent?

Yes, encryption will be permanent on all Livonia Police talkgroups. According to a LPD officer that I know, they do not want their radio traffic streamed over the Internet. Likewise, they have been upset over the fact the audio from their high speed pursuits end up being posted on YouTube. So they decided to take full advantage of voice encryption to put a stop to it. :(

73's

Ron

Last edited:

roadman1977

Livonia Encrypted

Livonia is encrypted. I hope down the road they change their mind but it is probably wishful thinking on my part. I was looking forward to hearing them on MPSCS...I did not care for their EDACS system. Oh well, still plenty of other cities to listen in on.

jacobsmith

Yes, encryption will be permanent on all Livonia Police talkgroups. According to a LPD officer that I know, they do not want their radio traffic streamed over the Internet. Likewise, they have been upset over the fact the audio from their high speed pursuits end up being posted on YouTube. So they decided to take full advantage of voice encryption to put a stop to it. :(

73's

Ron

I suppose it's just a matter of time, the USA was just really lucky to have a little more stalling time, most agencies all over the world go encrypted once they go digital...

Status
Not open for further replies.