No more Detroit Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Detroit Fire

They are being downsized, and there will be no more overtime due to their huge budget problems in the city.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Yes, it's true, to an extent. The whole department isn't going away, but many resources are.

Ten engine companies, four ladder companies, and one special technical resource were closed permanently on July 2, due to lack of staff. The staff that had run those companies - roughly 190 personnel - were demoted to fill in positions elsewhere in DFD.

Overtime has been forbidden for the rest of the 2012-2013 fiscal year.

Standard first alarm/box responses have been cut from 3 engines 1 ladder 1 chief to 2/1/1.

160+ more members were laid off earlier in June.

Detroit is in dire straits, and if you have any sightseeing to do in the Motor City, I suggest you do it fast before it burns.

Confuzzled

Really have to pay less attention to rumor sites.

It is true though that DFD is about half the size it was 40 years ago. But so is the city in terms of buildings and people.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's not "rumor sites" - I have seen photos of the actual memos from the Chief of Department.

MI-Detroit-orders-cuts.jpg

UPDATED: Detroit sends out order closing 15 fire companies. 200 firefighters to be demoted. | STATter911.com

It's true that a number of the companies have been unstaffed for a good while prior to them being officially closed, but there's no rumor or unjustified fearmongering about it.

Detroit has been in dire straits for over a decade, and they were just hurled full-force out of the frying pan. It's not going to get better.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Jay - it's quite possible that he is referring to the OP.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm a professional photographer and artist. In the course of my job, I have had the experience on four different week long trips of chasing DFD to document the insanity they have to deal with continuously, non-stop, day in and day out. And insanity is probably being overconservative.

Find me another city in the country where you only have a 50/50 chance and zero confidence of the closest hydrant working or not being vandalized. Or how about another department where it's not crazy, but sometimes reality to wait for the arrival of officers with rifles before they can actually attack an abandoned structure. Show me another place in America where going to work guarantees a working box alarm.

The city is killing itself, and it's people. Even a photographin' Jersey boy can see that. Detroit is imploding. And yeah, sure money is tight. But at the end of the day, there are consequences for every action. And this one...heh...this is going to kill people and fuel the fire (no pun intended) that is Detroit's destruction.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
This is just sad. A city that was once prosperous and a major player, now trading public safety for cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.