RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Michigan Radio Discussion Forum

Michigan Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Michigan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 7:27 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
The Michigan state system is a P25 system. There is no such thing as rebanding on a P25 system.
Ehh, you say potato - I say hydrodynamic creations.

MPSCS Rebanding Announcements
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8ati View Post
uhhhh what?!?! Rebanding is the changing of frequencies.
Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
MPSCS, Sprint/Nextel and the FCC call it rebanding. I guess they are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
Ehh, you say potato - I say hydrodynamic creations.

MPSCS Rebanding Announcements
This just proves the power of Motorola. When the spectrum adjustment agreement was devised, everyone was calling it "spectrum adjustment", "frequency re-refarming", "frequency adjustment", etc. When Motorola realized they had to change their LCN tables to allow for the new frequencies somebody there coined the phrase "reband" and the act of doing it would become "reabanding". Neither of those words exist in the English language. Since the majority of all Public Safety trunking systems in the US are Motorola, guess what became the default phrase? Just because it is in widespread use doesn't make it correct. So, I will continue to preach the facts, you may choose to believe what you will, but the Motorola coined word "reband" only applies to Motorola 800 MHz trunking systems and nothing else. By the way, did you notice the only systems in the RR Database that get a "rebanding" flag are Moto 800 MHz systems?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Default Rebanding in Macomb Co.

I am trying to find out information on what I need to do to my scanners in order for them to receive correctly after the rebanding. I am not sure if it is complete but I know the north end of the county has been getting their radios rebanded and might be done by now.
I have not heard any radio traffic on the county FD or PD lately.
I hear the State PD and that is about it.

I have the Uniden BCD396T, BCD996T, and the BCD996XT

Thanks for any help on this

Steve
RVFD
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Iam hearing everything fine as we speak Chesterfld. Sterling Hgts M.C.R.C.Even St.Cl.Clair co.on.
CC 868.9875
Old 02-21-2013, 1:35 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbe View Post
I am trying to find out information on what I need to do to my scanners in order for them to receive correctly after the rebanding. I am not sure if it is complete but I know the north end of the county has been getting their radios rebanded and might be done by now.

Steve
RVFD
If you are talking about the MPSCS and changing frequencies, then all you will have to do is change the frequencies when they do. It would be nice if you reported the new ones to us as a submission, so we can update the DB.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2013, 1:55 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag View Post
"frequency re-refarming"
Refarming isn't in the dictionary.

Quote:
When Motorola realized they had to change their LCN tables to allow for the new frequencies somebody there coined the phrase "reband" and the act of doing it would become "reabanding"
Are you sure? The FCC has been using that phrase forever, referring to Sprint "rebanding" (i.e. leaving 800MHz for another band.) The vacated channels are in the 854-860 range. The FCC refers to those as the "rebanded frequencies." Since the move of MPSCS to that range is due to Sprint rebanding, the term can be used with MPSCS.

The county next to me uses an EDACS system (i.e. not Motorola in any shape of the word.) They moved from the 860's to the 850's. They called it...

drumroll please...

rebanding.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:18 PM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdale View Post
Are you sure? The FCC has been using that phrase forever, referring to Sprint "rebanding" (i.e. leaving 800MHz for another band.) The vacated channels are in the 854-860 range. The FCC refers to those as the "rebanded frequencies." Since the move of MPSCS to that range is due to Sprint rebanding, the term can be used with MPSCS.

The county next to me uses an EDACS system (i.e. not Motorola in any shape of the word.) They moved from the 860's to the 850's. They called it...

drumroll please...

rebanding.
Rob, I now understand why people find you irritating and when you start "spouting" things that you are unknowledgeable about, you really shine in your ignorance.
  1. Sprint only came into the picture when they bought Nextel in 2005.
  2. In July of 2004, the FCC adopted a plan to fix the problem, note that this was after they had investigated the problem for several years and this plan is what we are dealing with now. As you so dramatically put it; the FCC called it ... drumroll ... restructure of the 800 MHz band. Another term used at the time was reconfigure. At no time in 2004 was the non-word "reband" used.
  3. The FCC started using the term "reband" and "rebanding" after Motorola started using it. I think (but don't have the document any more) this was first used in 2005. However, to the best of my knowledge, they only use those terms in informal communications. In formal communications or documents it is still "reconfigure" or "restructure".
  4. Take a look at the Transition Administrator web site, note that the organization is not "The Official Rebanding Manager" but rather "The Official Reconfiguration Manager."
EDACS has nothing to do with rebanding, despite what ignorant people think.

P25 has nothing to do with rebanding, despite what ignorant people think.

All trunking systems in the 800 MHz (and some non-trunking) are subject to reconfiguration. Only Motorola 800 MHz systems are subject to rebanding.

The problem with using the term rebanding when referring to reconfiguration is that it brings with it confusion where there should be none. Reconfiguration of frequencies (for the scanner folks) only means that frequencies need to be changed. Rebanding involves much more effort.

By the way, I have no problem with ignorance; ignorance is solved by accepting new or (in this case) correct information. I only have a problem with folks that won't admit they are wrong, despite over-whelming evidence to the contrary.

Oh, and with that, please accept my apology; I mis-typed the word, where I wanted to just type re-farming, somehow I used the word "re-refarming", sorry for the typing error.
Old 02-21-2013, 6:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Rebanding (also called Reconfiguration) refers to the changes within the 800 MHz band that are taking place nationwide"

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by rdale; 02-21-2013 at 7:15 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 7:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbe View Post

Steve
RVFD
Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what to do with your scanner to receive the new frequencies. However here is some useful info.

Just because the radios have been rebanded/restructured/reframed whatever word you choose, does not mean they are using the new freq's yet. All they are doing is simply preparing the radios for the switch to the new freqs by programing the radios with the new frequencies while keeping the old ones programmed in the radios at the same time. I believe (someone correct me if im wrong) MPSCS plans to flip the switch at all the sites all at the same time to bring them down to the new frequencies. This has not, and will not be done until every MPSCS radio in the state has been reprogrammed. So unless the PD/FD you refer to has changed talkgroups, you should not be having any issues receiving them.