shiawassee county /owosso michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgold31

I have heard nothing from their dispatch and with their pulling of all patrols off the road due to fundind there may not be any traffic.2 state police officers have been assigned to cover about 1000 square mile of the county.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
I am in central Livingston County and have been hearing Shiawassee County Traffic all day today. The talk groups I am hearing now as I type this are 1093 with a label of 78P911 and talk group 1588 with a label of 78E911. I am using a Radio Shack PRO-197.

oldgold31

shiawassee county

sir i have been listening on radio reference,and my phone app .i will be getting a home patrol this week to see what i am missing

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
The Shiawassee County Police & Fire feeds on Broadcastify are offline, which is one disadvantage to scanner apps.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I have heard nothing from their dispatch and with their pulling of all patrols off the road due to fundind there may not be any traffic.2 state police officers have been assigned to cover about 1000 square mile of the county.

Just to clarify, they have not pulled ALL of their patrols, according to the news broadcasts they were going to lose about 1/2 of their officers. Also, Shiawassee County is 541 square miles.

kb8rvp

sir i have been listening on radio reference,and my phone app .i will be getting a home patrol this week to see what i am missing

Make sure if you get the home patrol you install the Uniden Sentinel software for the home patrol on your computer and do the database updates before you try programming with the zip code programming. Otherwise it may have old information and not work. If you need any help sent me a private message.

oldgold31

shiawassee county

i received my uniden home patrol 1 today and am trying to get shiawassee county/owosso and i cant get it to receive any transmissions from them .I am told i need to do something to my radio to get them??

oldgold31

officers shiawassee

Just to clarify, they have not pulled ALL of their patrols, according to the news broadcasts they were going to lose about 1/2 of their officers. Also, Shiawassee County is 541 square miles.
i had heard only 2 officers would be left onwith no road patrol and several state troopers were assigned from flint.

oldgold31

i am not having any luck sending a private message i have had a latest update on my home patrol 1 and cannot get shiawassee county to work .I added miles on my receiver thinking i was not receiving them still nothing .I can scroll thru and see the county in my data but no transmissions. anyone care to help me.

kmi8dy

i live in owosso michigan and in tucson arizona. in owosso now and have no problems hearing. i have heard msp posts 35, 34, and 33 helping out in shiawassee county. probly more but have not heard them yet. thre is 2 to 5 msp cars from differant posts surrounding shiawassee county. it all depends on the day of the week and time frame. they know their busy days and busy hours, so that when they have more or less coverage. some msp cars are doing 3 hour, 4 hour, 6 hour, 8 hour, and ten hour shifts. some if not most of the 3, 5,or 6 hour shifts are overtime.

county fathers are now thinking of raising the sales tax from 6 % to 7%, in shiawassee, county. this is what happens when you hire (vote in) a sheriff that has never held the job before.

oldgold31

I think there is way too much politics in that county everybody on top is making loads of money and resident would like to know where the money went
I found out by living in the adjacent county my radio would need a yagi Antenna to receive as they are about40 mile away

kmi8dy

their is a trick to listen to next door counties . the p25 system can be teeeked so fine that scanners can not pick up signals just 2 or 3 miles outside the county unless it is hooked up to a 60 ft tower or higher. but it looks you are in clinton county this trick only works when the next door county operates on the same system, (mpscs). clinton works on the edacs system along with ingham and eaton counties. anyway the trick is as follows:the county that you live in must be the 800mhz mpscs system.(about 2/3 of michigan counties are now working off the 800khz mpscs p25 system) . you program the next door county as you would if you lived there with the major exception..........you program the frequencies that are used in YOUR county along with YOUR counties re-banding info. REMEMBER the next door county MUST be mpscs 800 mhz p25 system as the same county you live in. i live in owosso and can hear livingston, genesee, saginaw, grahm counties everytime, all the time.even useing the supplied antenna when new.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
their is a trick to listen to next door counties . the p25 system can be teeeked so fine that scanners can not pick up signals just 2 or 3 miles outside the county unless it is hooked up to a 60 ft tower or higher. but it looks you are in clinton county this trick only works when the next door county operates on the same system, (mpscs). clinton works on the edacs system along with ingham and eaton counties. anyway the trick is as follows:the county that you live in must be the 800mhz mpscs system.(about 2/3 of michigan counties are now working off the 800khz mpscs p25 system) . you program the next door county as you would if you lived there with the major exception..........you program the frequencies that are used in YOUR county along with YOUR counties re-banding info. REMEMBER the next door county MUST be mpscs 800 mhz p25 system as the same county you live in. i live in owosso and can hear livingston, genesee, saginaw, grahm counties everytime, all the time.even useing the supplied antenna when new.

That has nothing to do with your scanner programing. You can't manipulate a trunk system from a scanner. The frequencies you program are what you will receive regardless of what alpha tags you add in. The reason you are getting all that traffic in Owosso is because the system is designed (with few exceptions) to broadcast all Owosso radio traffic on all towers in the counties surrounding Owosso county, as well as any tower a MPSCS radio might be affiliated with if its outside its home area. As such any radio traffic from a county next to Owosso will also be heard in Owosso which helps to form that ring around the county.

oldgold31

adjoining countys reception on P25

So are you saying if my county has p25 i can listen thru my county to others?I listen to michigan state police here in ingham/eaton county and sometimes can receive Barry county which is just as far as shiawassee in the other direction .I have heard shiawassee county 1 time when their cars were on the western most county line and it was maybe from livingston county tower.

kmi8dy

i recieved this info from a couple of radio techs when they were re- banding shiawassee county the first time back in i think dec or jan 2014. i and a friend were eating lunch at the mcdonalds in corunna.i did forgot to say that both counties have to also have the same wacn # and the same system id #. and it will onlly work on next door counties, in otherwords you can not live in shiawassee county and listen :to a county in the up

for oldgold31;
if your county has the p25 system as the primary system and not as a secondary system behind a primary edac's system, you can listen to a few more msp posts i can hear most of district 1, 2 ,3, 5, 6.

Last edited:

kd8ati

Feed Provider
The trunk system is setup so radio users in Owosso county are not only heard on the Owosso tower but also a ring of towers around the Owosso site. This helps with coverage and radio affiliation. There are very few exceptions to this such as Detroit PD which are confined to just the Detroit simulcast.

Keeping that in mind... if you live in Owosso county and have the Owosso tower programmed in to your scanner you will not only get Owosso traffic (assuming they are all on the statewide system) but also radio traffic from any other tower which Owosso helps to make up part of that ring. So for example you will likely hear radio traffic in Livingston county because the Owosso site helps to make that ring around the Howell site, again assuming the Livingston agencies are allowed to be used on other towers, which is far as I know they are.

So for me I can get a lot of the traffic from Washtenaw county on the Northville tower because the Northville towers helps make up that ring of towers around Washtenaw.

Now here is another piece of info to make it even more interesting. Because this is a statewide system most radios are allowed to roam outside of their home area which is usually defined as the towers closest to their jurisdiction (think back to cell phone roaming before the nationwide plans). So lets say a deputy from Wayne County has their radio turned on their dispatch channel and is in Owosso doing a prisoner pickup or dropoff. Because that radio is on Wayne County sheriff dispatch and is affiliated to the Owosso tower you will hear that dispatch traffic on your scanner from the Owosso tower... assuming for whatever reason you would have Wayne county dispatch programmed in to your scanner for that tower.

All in all it is a good idea to program every tower you can get from your location. That just widens the coverage area of stuff you can listen to

kmi8dy

So are you saying if my county has p25 i can listen thru my county to others?I listen to michigan state police here in ingham/eaton county and sometimes can receive Barry county which is just as far as shiawassee in the other direction .I have heard shiawassee county 1 time when their cars were on the western most county line and it was maybe from livingston county tower.

oldgold31 ---

i believe your in eaton county. their primary system is the edac's system. they do have a p25 mpscs system but is not a primary system they have to have some way, in case of a real state wide emergency, to talk to departments outside of their jurisdiction (simocast) , as per the new federal guidelines.and all the problems that were encoutered and discovered during the 911 disaster in new york..the good side is that eaton ,ingham , clinton counties have been useing the edac's system for many years now and their is talk of a new system.but...... then again thats at least 5 years in the making. and that system will most likely be a p25 mpscs phase 2 system .

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
oldgold31 ---

i believe your in eaton county. their primary system is the edac's system. they do have a p25 mpscs system but is not a primary system they have to have some way, in case of a real state wide emergency, to talk to departments outside of their jurisdiction (simocast) , as per the new federal guidelines.and all the problems that were encoutered and discovered during the 911 disaster in new york..the good side is that eaton ,ingham , clinton counties have been useing the edac's system for many years now and their is talk of a new system.but...... then again thats at least 5 years in the making. and that system will most likely be a p25 mpscs phase 2 system .

Eaton County's primary system is NOT EDACS, they use UHF conventional channels. They also do NOT have the MPSCS nor do they have/use MPSCS radios. They use their UHF conventional radios and their main channel is patched to 23P911 on the MPSCS. Ingham and Clinton are on EDACS.
The talk of a new system being 5 years in the making.....where did you get your information on that time frame? Also, where did you get your information it will be the MPSCS? and phase 2? The MPSCS infrastructure is NOT setup to do phase 2 at this point, however all the newest radios are phase 2 capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.