Russian open Skies TU-154 just crossed into US airspace:

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

194E97 RU/RA-85655 currently north of Detroit headed west. Made layover at CFB Trenton last night.

Last edited:

ChrisABQ

What is the purpose of them being here in the US. Last week, I saw two unknown jets going in for landing at Kirtland AFB, Abq, NM, were not American fighters, possibly Euro fighters, but looked more like Mig's to me.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is the purpose of them being here in the US. Last week, I saw two unknown jets going in for landing at Kirtland AFB, Abq, NM, were not American fighters, possibly Euro fighters, but looked more like Mig's to me.

It's about openness and transparency:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_Open_Skies
We get to spy on them, they get to spy on us. It not just US/Russian, there are a few other countries involved.

As for the foreign fighters, there's lots of training done here in the US with other countries.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
a TU-154 is a passenger aircraft. No spying going on.

This one is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-154
"The Russians also converted a Tu-154M to serve as an Open Skies Monitoring aircraft. They used the Tu-154M-LK-1, and converted it to a Tu-154M-ON. When the aircraft is not flying over North America, it is used to ferry cosmonauts around. China is also believed to have converted one Tu-154 to an electronic countermeasures aircraft.[19]"

edogrady

Premium Subscriber
I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction. Have flown on the 154 a few times (terrible seats). Back then, late 80's and early 90's, the 134 was the a/c assigned to the cosmonaut training center. They had 2 or 3 I believe. Flew on them a number of times to Baikonur along with cosmonauts as well as civilians. Actually got to fly one of them for a few minutes. Did see a 134 once that appeared to have been in use for ELINT purposes but can't swear to it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
From what I could find they use one of the open sky planes for multiple purposes, cosmonaut transport and Open sky. I guess when the economy is lean, they make due where they can.

car2back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_Open_Skies

There are some private contractors in the US that own MIGS, etc thatserve in aggressor roles during USAF training exercises.

car2back

From what I could find they use one of the open sky planes for multiple purposes, cosmonaut transport and Open sky. I guess when the economy is lean, they make due where they can.

They also have 2 Tu-214ON built for Open Skies, but IIRC they haven't been put into service in that role yet.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Watched online yesterday as this aircraft landed at Travis AFB. Seems like they spent the night, no doubt enjoying a good meal and some nice California weather. I'm sure those guys hate those layovers.

VE3RADIO

I saw this plane a few weeks ago over Belleville, ON... Here is a pic.
b196fa200a55e263d9e658e30f53070a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.