CG Sectors using the new cg/lant freqs for routine ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

archduke

Premium Subscriber
With most CG sectors,stations and now most of the SafeBoats, MLBs, and the new UTBs all equipped with Rescue 21 radio gear it seems that there is a general shift away from using the customary operations channels (21, 23, 81 and 83) for routine communications.

Example: Sector LI Sound which in the past always used Ch 23 for SAR has now abandoned Ch 23 for the new "CG121" (they seem to add an extra "1" to the CG21 designation).

Sadly, when I have programmed the "CG" channel (16X.XXXMhz) into my scanner all I hear is hash/static. Can anyone tell me if the CG is using digital emission which could be heard if I invested in a newer scanner that decodes digital transmissions OR is the Coast Guard actually encrypting as well?

I understand that the CG might want to make their Law Enforcement operations impossible to monitor... but it's a shame that the Coast Guard is moving away from keeping SAR operations readily listenable to by the multitude of boaters whom the CG openly asks to be their 'eyes and ears' every time an UMIB urgent marine information broadcast is sent out.

Can anyone who really knows whether its digital or encrypted being used on the CG/lant channels clue me in please?

ecps92

Yes it is a P25 System. Enc depends on the Operation and Sector.
Your milage will vary. Boston is 98% Enc, while Southern New England is 98% Un-Enc.

Depending on your Sector, they still use CG-## or NET-### or CG-###
all the same frequency, just a different Alpha-Tag designator

Typical NAC will be $293

With most CG sectors,stations and now most of the SafeBoats, MLBs, and the new UTBs all equipped with Rescue 21 radio gear it seems that there is a general shift away from using the customary operations channels (21, 23, 81 and 83) for routine communications.

Example: Sector LI Sound which in the past always used Ch 23 for SAR has now abandoned Ch 23 for the new "CG121" (they seem to add an extra "1" to the CG21 designation).

Sadly, when I have programmed the "CG" channel (16X.XXXMhz) into my scanner all I hear is hash/static. Can anyone tell me if the CG is using digital emission which could be heard if I invested in a newer scanner that decodes digital transmissions OR is the Coast Guard actually encrypting as well?

I understand that the CG might want to make their Law Enforcement operations impossible to monitor... but it's a shame that the Coast Guard is moving away from keeping SAR operations readily listenable to by the multitude of boaters whom the CG openly asks to be their 'eyes and ears' every time an UMIB urgent marine information broadcast is sent out.

Can anyone who really knows whether its digital or encrypted being used on the CG/lant channels clue me in please?

Last edited:

ecps92

I don't know, might you ?? Or might Santa ! :D

Thank you to both Christopher_Lynch and ecps92 for the instant responses. Very helpful!

"Typical NAC will be $293" Does this mean what I would be likely to pay for a digital capable scanner?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Below is a link to our wiki base glossary about NACs, what they are and what scanners can handle them...

NAC - The RadioReference Wiki

Keep in mind that you don't necessarily need NAC capability to copy a P25 signal - a 396T or 996T from Uniden, for example, can't decode NACs but it will handle the P25 just fine

73 Mike

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to set the record straight, my P25 scanner is unable to decode their digital signals. That leads me to believe they're not using P25 but rather another codec, or possibly 3DES encryption which has been used by federal law enforcement for decades. Being reception of Long Island Sound is spotty at best I'll reserve comment on that particular group.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Just to set the record straight, my P25 scanner is unable to decode their digital signals. That leads me to believe they're not using P25 but rather another codec, or possibly 3DES encryption which has been used by federal law enforcement for decades. Being reception of Long Island Sound is spotty at best I'll reserve comment on that particular group.

Sector LIS is about 50-50 clear and encrypted.

NML-21

Coast Guard

The Coast Guard is P25 capable but aren't currently using it. There really is not a need yet. They are however using DES encoding due to the whole CNN thing. Any and all operations and training missions must now be DES encrypted. Question: Is the Coast Guard using P25? Answer: No, the Coast Guard is not using P25.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Any and all operations and training missions must now be DES encrypted."
That's odd, I hear Manasquan on a regular basis and they're in the clear. Rarely is anything encrypted and then only one boat while the shore station and others are clear. That's odd in itself, maybe like the cops they haven't figured out what that switch is for. (;->)

As an aside, had that exercise in the Potomac a while back been encrypted the media frenzy over the Coast Guard shooting at a terrorist would never have happened.

kennyblues

The Coast Guard is P25 capable but aren't currently using it. There really is not a need yet. They are however using DES encoding due to the whole CNN thing. Any and all operations and training missions must now be DES encrypted. Question: Is the Coast Guard using P25? Answer: No, the Coast Guard is not using P25.

In the Sector Boston area the only use of DES/Analog is on the VHF-FM Marine channels, with little use of DES encryption. ALL traffic on the CG-### channels is P-25 with varying percentages of encryption.

ecps92

Hmmm, All the new LMR [listed in the WIKI] former LANT now CG-33 or CG-### or NET-### are P25 and the only Sector running P25/Enc is Boston [unless a boat comes in with the wrong or outdated key]

Sector Southern New England, Long Island and Northern New England are P25 w/o the Encryption

DPD1

The Coast Guard is P25 capable but aren't currently using it. There really is not a need yet. They are however using DES encoding due to the whole CNN thing.

You for sure know this to be true? Because that would be a real shame.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I believe the new standard calls for AES-256 encryption, not DES. I know USSS uses AES for their P25 encryption.

Sector New York has been switching more channel 21A ops to CG-111, with 95% encryption being used. I think CG-111 here is not repeated though, the signal degrades a LOT when I am about 5-6 miles inland from the shore.

Cskib32087

My Uniden scanner does NAC and it will say ENC if it is P25 encrypted I caught some CG boats on LI sound using CG121 Encrypted the other day and then a few same ch P25 no encryption. So with everyone picking up CG on digital im thinking that they are using digital around here.

kb2vxa

Banned
Just to bring you up to speed, over the past few weeks there has been a sharp rise in routine traffic on the LANT channels using unencrypted P25. As I write there is a drill being conducted on CG (1)14 by boat station Manasquan regarding an outboard engine fire. There's also some activity on the 345.000MHz AM Operations frequency but I haven't connected it with anything yet.

ecps92

Memories ! LANT ?? Wow. You don't hear that term anymore, since they went P25 :wink:

How about, anyone picking up the UHF that Chris Paris mentioned in a past blog.
MT Fed Files: More Coast Guard UHF Activity!

Some [P25/Enc] recent activity here in New England, but hard to ID who it might be since the generic $293 is used. :evil:

Just to bring you up to speed, over the past few weeks there has been a sharp rise in routine traffic on the LANT channels using unencrypted P25. As I write there is a drill being conducted on CG (1)14 by boat station Manasquan regarding an outboard engine fire. There's also some activity on the 345.000MHz AM Operations frequency but I haven't connected it with anything yet.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
How about, anyone picking up the UHF that Chris Paris mentioned in a past blog.
MT Fed Files: More Coast Guard UHF Activity!

Some [P25/Enc] recent activity here in New England, but hard to ID who it might be since the generic $293 is used. :evil:

Yes I logged a transmission on my scanner recorder pro last night on 412.975. It didn't record the NAC. I had it in NAC search mode but unfortunately the BCD396XT flashes the NAC on the display and the software doesn't always catch it. But it was encrypted. 2 Bars on the S-Meter.

Bob
Milford, Ct.

ecps92

:confused: Wondering if a few folks can compare times [New England] on the transmissions, curious if it's a base TX [wide area] or Local [Boats] we are hearing...

Yes I logged a transmission on my scanner recorder pro last night on 412.975. It didn't record the NAC. I had it in NAC search mode but unfortunately the BCD396XT flashes the NAC on the display and the software doesn't always catch it. But it was encrypted. 2 Bars on the S-Meter.

Bob
Milford, Ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.