Current MARS HF Freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Does anybody have a list of active HF MARS Freqs? I usually find them by tuning just below the amateur bands but I don't have a current up to date list of them and have had a hard time finding any on the web.

K9WG

We had a couple old timers on my Army boat that wanted to make some morale calls over MARS when we were underway. I handed them the Inmarsat phone, I didn't think too many people still used it for that. What exactly are they doing these days?

MARS Mission Statement

* Provide Department of Defense sponsored emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.
* Provide auxiliary communications for military, civil, and/or disaster officials during periods of emergency.
* Assist in effecting normal communications under emergency conditions.
* Create interest, and furnish a means of training members in military communications procedures.
* Provide a potential reserve of trained radio communications personnel.
* Handle moral and quasi-official record and voice communications traffic for Armed Forces and authorized U.S. Government civilian personnel stationed throughout the world.
* Conduct an appropriate Amateur Radio program as a part of the annual celebration of Armed Forces Day.

K9WG

The frequencies are NOT secret. All traffic is transmitted in the clear. The only thing that is not published is the frequency designations and their respective frequencies (i.e. RB = 4xxx.x KHz)

rexgame

Drexel Hill, Upper Darby Twp, Delaware Co, Pennsyl

MARS Mission Statement

* Provide Department of Defense sponsored emergency communications on a local, national, and international basis as an adjunct to normal communications.
* Provide auxiliary communications for military, civil, and/or disaster officials during periods of emergency.
* Assist in effecting normal communications under emergency conditions.
* Create interest, and furnish a means of training members in military communications procedures.
* Provide a potential reserve of trained radio communications personnel.
* Handle moral and quasi-official record and voice communications traffic for Armed Forces and authorized U.S. Government civilian personnel stationed throughout the world.
* Conduct an appropriate Amateur Radio program as a part of the annual celebration of Armed Forces Day.

Yeah, I read their mission statement too, what I mean is what are they actually doing in terms of ops, not powerpoint.

Mdfenley

Premium Subscriber
If I had a Ham radio and License, I would participate in the MARS program. When I was in the Navy and overseas, we used the MARS program a lot. We were in the Med when the Gulf Conflict started and I was designated as the MARS Operator. I spent many off duty hours helping Sailors make phone calls back stateside for free. INMARSAT can't do that.

K9WG

Yeah, I read their mission statement too, what I mean is what are they actually doing in terms of ops, not powerpoint.

Well, depending on the service and region, everything from guarding static to participating in communication drills. when I was associated with USAF MARS I participated in several exercises including Ardent Sentry and Operation Deep Freeze. The latter I helped provide a link between MARS and ARES. Army MARS has pre-staged equipment at some major airports in cooperation with TSA. I know the New England Army MARS is very active with local EMA.

rexgame

Drexel Hill, Upper Darby Twp, Delaware Co, Pennsyl
Well, depending on the service and region, everything from guarding static to participating in communication drills. when I was associated with USAF MARS I participated in several exercises including Ardent Sentry and Operation Deep Freeze. The latter I helped provide a link between MARS and ARES. Army MARS has pre-staged equipment at some major airports in cooperation with TSA. I know the New England Army MARS is very active with local EMA.

Cool, thanks for the info. I had never actually heard of MARS before the old guys asked about making phone patches, with and they couldn't really describe what it was or who ran it. Then again, I never heard of ham radio until after I was out of the military, and I was a radio-operator, lol.

Mdfenley, I had my guys on both Army boats I was on, just use the Inmarsat-B for phone calls underway or the Navy's SALTS system for e-mail (that actually went through the Inmarsat, anyway). If we were tied up in Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Oman, Djibouti etc. cell phones or a few hard lines were the order of the day. Any time anyone ever questioned all the phone calls on the satellite bill, I told them they were for MWR.

CalebATC

Is it fairly hard to get involved? Is there a lot of training involved? I only have my Technicians, but plan to upgrade in January for February, what are the requirements? Do you have to be a General or higher licence class? Could I join the USN or USAF MARS since I am 14? I didn't think it was near as major as yall are talking about, now I want to get involved! :)

Thanks!

K9WG

Is it fairly hard to get involved? Is there a lot of training involved? I only have my Technicians, but plan to upgrade in January for February, what are the requirements? Do you have to be a General or higher licence class? Could I join the USN or USAF MARS since I am 14? I didn't think it was near as major as yall are talking about, now I want to get involved! :)

Thanks!
No, it is not difficult to get involved however I do believe there is an age requirement. Check out: Military Affilate Radio System If you have any other questions let me know.

73 de K9WG (ex AFA5CY)

CalebATC

No, it is not difficult to get involved however I do believe there is an age requirement. Check out: Military Affilate Radio System If you have any other questions let me know.

73 de K9WG (ex AFA5CY)

I just looked at the Air Force, there was no age requirement. The Navy did have a "check all that apply" and one was listed as 18, so not sure if that was a requirement or just to see.

I should be getting a new HF rig sometime in the middle of January, or towards February, along with a tuner and a new mic. I will have to look into joining a little more than I just did.

Thanks again for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.