BCD436hp Military air

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabec

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I have been thinking about getting the Uniden BCD436hp has anyone used this radio to listen to military air yet? If so I would like to know how well it does.

Thanks
Fred
Chicago, IL

N8IAA

Save yourself a ton of money and get the 125AT. It has 500 frequency slots, and you could get three and still have money left over:lol: If you need to have digital, get a 396XT.

I see too many problems setting up Favorites Lists with the QK's, etc..
HTH,
Larry

aprswatcher

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Larry, if you strictly want to listen to aviation both military and civilian buy
the Uniden BC125AT they run about $140. I have one and it is easy to use and has a very good receiver.
Plus as Larry mentioned you will save lots of money!!!

73, Rex

storm777

Premium Subscriber
Fred, I just picked up a BC125AT on Friday for MilAir & ARTCC and so far I'm pleased. It has good sound quality and with the Radio Shack 320-006 telescoping antenna, I'm happy with the results from my apartment.

Another option if you are leaning towards a base model would be the BCT15x. I've read a lot of good things about it in these forums when it comes to MilAir monitoring.

shabec

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

I do listen mainly to Military and aircraft, but I do like to have something to listen to P25 stuff also. Base comms and so on. I was wishing this is the all in one radio for me.

Thanks all,

Fred

TedRHayes

I use my BCD436HP for MILAIR (and many other things) here in SW Ohio. It performs very well; probably about the same on MILAIR and civilian VHF aircraft traffic as my BC125AT. It does help to use an external antenna (both at home and when I use it mobile). I can pickup comms from aircraft operating in the MOAs in Southern Ohio, some from the Atterbury Range in Indiana. Of course range is greatly a function of AC altitude.

So if you need the additional capabilities of the 436, you might find it worth it.

N8IAA

I do listen mainly to Military and aircraft, but I do like to have something to listen to P25 stuff also. Base comms and so on. I was wishing this is the all in one radio for me.

Thanks all,

Fred

Fred, the 396XT would be the radio to go with. It does quite well on VHF/UHF air, and P-25.
Larry

nyair1

Anyone have experience using the base model 536hp with a external antenna for milair use?? Not sure if the radio specs are the same as the handheld model? I listen to public safety stuff at night and a few have made the switch to P25. I was looking at the 996 XT but I'm wondering if it would be better to get the newer 536? I wonder if the new generation ones may be able to be upgraded with new features in the future? My main target is milair during the daytime so I don't want to give performance on those bands. Thanks

TedRHayes

The 125AT is a good radio, just remember if your trying to listen to milair in the 137-150 MHz range, you can only listen in FM mode.

My favorite milair handheld is the PRO-164

I haven't had the 436 long enough to give an answer to your question, but check out this blog, he is a big tire milair listener:

My Take on the BCD436HP « KF4LMT's Radio Shack

You can only search 137-150 MHz range on the BC125AT in FM, but you can program channels in that range as AM.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
The 436 and 536 are excellent in the Milair range (using an external antenna of course). Having the replay option comes in handy when a mush mouth pilot needs to be heard 10 times before figuring out what they said. While the speaker is okay on the 536, I do use external speakers on both radios to obtain better audio. The favorite lists makes it a breeze to have the scanners set up for home use, and also for the road.

nyair1

The 436 and 536 are excellent in the Milair range (using an external antenna of course). Having the replay option comes in handy when a mush mouth pilot needs to be heard 10 times before figuring out what they said. While the speaker is okay on the 536, I do use external speakers on both radios to obtain better audio. The favorite lists makes it a breeze to have the scanners set up for home use, and also for the road.

I downloaded the manual online to check out all the features. Can you still setup your own scan lists of freqs that you program like a bc15x or 996xt? I was a little confused on the instruction manual! Lol! I'm not interested in have to scan through all kinds of stuff that the radio will download itself. I'm only interested if I can put in my own lists. Thanks

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Yes, you can setup the scanner just like a bc15x and 996xt. The preloaded database data is there if you want it and is not the only way to have the radio function. I actually have mine programed like my 780's and 785's for mil air. Search ranges and "banks." I utilize the favorite function somewhat like the V-Scanner function on my Pro106/197.

nyair1

Yes, you can setup the scanner just like a bc15x and 996xt. The preloaded database data is there if you want it and is not the only way to have the radio function. I actually have mine programed like my 780's and 785's for mil air. Search ranges and "banks." I utilize the favorite function somewhat like the V-Scanner function on my Pro106/197.

OK that sounds good. Thanks for the info. I try to set all my radios up the same that way I know what each bank or group has in it so I can just listen to certain things. I'm still learning how some things work on the 15x! That was a whole learning experience in itself! Lol

Hooligan

If you get a 436/536 & plan to use it for military aviation searching, keep in-mind that the brain trust at
uniden, despite being informed of the issue a couple years ago with the 396XT/996XT line, & claiming that they listen to their users, still haven't fixed their military aviation service search to reflect the proper, well-known characteristics used by military aviation in that spectrum.

TedRHayes

If you get a 436/536 & plan to use it for military aviation searching, keep in-mind that the brain trust at
uniden, despite being informed of the issue a couple years ago with the 396XT/996XT line, & claiming that they listen to their users, still haven't fixed their military aviation service search to reflect the proper, well-known characteristics used by military aviation in that spectrum.

Since the 436/536 do not have a "Service" search per se, then it won't be a problem! You can, however, set up costume searches just about any way you like.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
What exactly are you referring to? 25 kHz search step?

ra7850

Chris

Did you ever get either of the 436 or 536 HP radios? Im trying to make a good MilAir favorties list and wondered if you've tried this?

I downloaded the manual online to check out all the features. Can you still setup your own scan lists of freqs that you program like a bc15x or 996xt? I was a little confused on the instruction manual! Lol! I'm not interested in have to scan through all kinds of stuff that the radio will download itself. I'm only interested if I can put in my own lists. Thanks

Robert

nyair1

Did you ever get either of the 436 or 536 HP radios? Im trying to make a good MilAir favorties list and wondered if you've tried this?

Robert

I haven't I ended up getting a 396xt handheld for my truck and I haven't decided what to get for a base yet. I may end up getting the 996 II that just came out. Its more like the 15x's that I have. I don't really care for the internet and WiFi on the 536.

Status
Not open for further replies.