NYC Area Military Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Does anyone have a list of good/strong signal military frequencies that can be monitored using a stock antenna on a BCD436 handheld in the NYC/northern NJ area? I have scanned the 200-300 MHz band, and it just seems dead. However, it's a wide area to search, so I could be missing something. Thanks so much. Feel free to post here or PM me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's far from dead - as looking in the New England Milcom loggings (in this forum - even tho NY isn't considered to be New England...) would show. However you're not going to hear much on a stock antenna - indoors. Time for a better antenna - discone and the like.

Then I would test my setup by trying to hear the ZNY frequencies we have in the database that are physically closest to you. That ARTCC site is listed here...

New York (ZNY) Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'd be careful about going too big...too big and the handheld is going to start getting overloaded

Mike

Analogrules

Yeah, unfortunately since I live in a small apartment, outdoor antennas for me are totally out of the question. But, thanks anyway for the information. According to the link you provided, none of those sites are close to me either which probably explains why I never pick anything up aside from newark airport frequencies.

jaymatt1978

I tell you folks I have better luck in Southern New Jeresy than Northern NJ. Don't know jif it's because I'M closer to more military bases or what. Northern NJ isn't that active in the milair range. I ev en have all the UHF ATCC frequencies for ZNY and not a peep

Haley

N2ZGE, if you wanted ,you could swap out the HH antenna for something like a Diamond RH77CA antenna, lots of people swear by it for mil-air. I have one, and it does work very well. They make 2 versions, BNC connector, or SMA. They work well for several bands, you can pick them up for about $25-30 at most places. I know Universal Radio has them on line. Mike

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
OK you have come to the right place. :) I use this indoor amplified antenna that uses 2 AA batteries for Mil-Air reception.
Keep looking on eBay (Discontinued at Radio Shack). One will show up pretty often. Works great on any band- you have to experiment with the length that you extend the radials depending on what frequency you are trying to monitor. I also use it on my portable Digital TV and get loads of stations.
Part number 15-1607
Enjoy, Bob

Radio Shack Amplified VHF UFH FM Portable Antenna Model 15 1607 Nice Cond | eBay

RadioShack.com

Status
Not open for further replies.