The President's football

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
So it has a few papers in it and weighs 45 pounds..? How many Toughbooks are in there, for real?

Voyager

So it has a few papers in it and weighs 45 pounds..? How many Toughbooks are in there, for real?

Are you forgetting the two books mentioned? Also what kind of construction would you put that in? I would hope lead lined to prevent X-ray or EMP in case there are electronics in there they 'forgot' to mention.

And the antenna is likely for a tracking device, but could be for communications as well. After all, wouldn't you want to know where that item is at all times - if nothing more than to know that the guy with it was still within the specified range?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

The actual weight is a secret. I'm sure it weighs less than 10 pounds with today's tech, maybe back in the 80's it was 45 pounds easy.

Voyager

I dunno. If there is one thing you can count on, it's paper over electrons. Electrons are too easily disturbed. Also, it's been proven you can almost always find something in a paper manual faster than on a PDF or some other electronic format. And speed would be a huge factor here. It's also dam**d hard to hack into paper (another major concern, I'm sure). Remember - this thing goes into foreign countries with who-knows-what surveillance tech.

Again, paper - lead lining. Bullet-proof, Nuke proof. The thing has to be indestructible (except from within perhaps?)

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I dunno. If there is one thing you can count on, it's paper over electrons. Electrons are too easily disturbed. Also, it's been proven you can almost always find something in a paper manual faster than on a PDF or some other electronic format. And speed would be a huge factor here. It's also dam**d hard to hack into paper (another major concern, I'm sure). Remember - this thing goes into foreign countries with who-knows-what surveillance tech.

Again, paper - lead lining. Bullet-proof, Nuke proof. The thing has to be indestructible (except from within perhaps?)

What? You can't make a tactical decision with a pad of paper. He needs to be able to get a hold of the pentagon ASAP for nuclear launch.

More than likely he'd get back in Air Force One and have a conference first...if anything.

Voyager

Read the article. That's exactly what they described. I'm just saying the protocol likely hasn't changed. All he needs is what they described. Attack scenarios, verification codes, and hardened bunker sites. All quite easily done on hack-proof paper.

Maybe add the tracking and secure comms to the case, and there ya go.

I certainly hope they aren't keeping the codes on an iPad or something.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I love technology ... when it works. No device can be absolutely secure and 100% reliable. One would assume that DOD is applying the KISS principal, but in this day and age that may be a reach. I have a Mil-Spec Toughbook; it is robust, but still a 98% reliable electronic device.

In the movies they like to make the Football an electronic gizmo with flashy lights that accepts bio-metrics from amputated fingers in the back of a speeding car, directly connected to launch silos and submarines. But I always wondered what always-reliable-super-secure-works-worldwide infrastructure the gizmo was connecting to after an EMP takes out all networks. Hollywood can cop out on that aspect. I don't think "If the network is compromised drive to the nearest Starbucks and get on their Wi-Fi" is part of the launch protocol. Yes, all possible, but no electronic device is really secure enough.

There is a lot to be said for authenticated voice and words on paper (I'd suggest waterproof Tyvek). Exactly two hand-written copies (no printer or copier artifacts) of the launch code, with a dozen lines of gibberish data. The NCA knows what line to send and the receiver has that one underlined. No boot delay, unhackable and crash proof. You can communicate orders via Morse code and reboot a pencil with a pocket knife if necessary.

One would hope that NCA would have a little heads-up that things are going downhill so the pertinent details and likely scenarios can be kept handy, and the rest kept secure.

Last edited:

PACNWDude

Anybody ever see a military technical manual? 3 ring binder, often times 3 inches thick, some pages placed into plastic page holders, black and red hash marked borders on certain high priority pages.

No iPads, Android tablets. Motorola handheld radio, and probably the same GPS wristband tracker POTUS wears thrown in there.

These have been seen and discussed for years. Only that radio gets upgraded in time. Used to be a Motorola Astro Saber, now an APX series handheld.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
That's a custom leather case surrounding a custom built zero-halliburton case. It is made of a special material, and it does not open like you'd think it would.

I personally believe the PES contains, in addition to the launch menu (currently looks like a denny's menu with pictures) and codes for activating the Emergency Alert System, and verification codes, a communications device. The portable clipped to the bag is a red herring. That's guaranteed to be a WHCA tactical radio.

I bet it was like an old Motorola lunchbox. Something tube fed and analog and robust as hell, that either links via AF1 or the ROADRUNNER, or maybe via HF ALE.

Just a guess on that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.