Chill 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Looking at my audio files and found, 4/2/2015 - 4:32 PM - 255.400 MHz
Chill 42, saying he was 40 miles East of Southern Ontario.
Steve

nyair1

Looking at my audio files and found, 4/2/2015 - 4:32 PM - 255.400 MHz
Chill 42, saying he was 40 miles East of Southern Ontario.
Steve

B52's. They have been through the area a few times in the past weeks either going to the range at Ft Drum or the Adirondack Airspace. I think one set when overseas also.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
B52's. They have been through the area a few times in the past weeks either going to the range at Ft Drum or the Adirondack Airspace. I think one set when overseas also.

Again thank for the info Chris, Don't call the cops on me but this is one of your frequencies you posted awhile back.
Steve

nyair1

255.400 is a Flight Service Station. You will hear aircraft getting wx reports or other flight info. That's a freq used across the country.

D

DaveNF2G

255.4 is commonly referred to as METRO ('MEE-tro") and, as others have noted, is used mainly to relay weather information.

autovon

Ø
255.4 is commonly referred to as METRO ('MEE-tro") and, as others have noted, is used mainly to relay weather information.

I'm splitting hairs here, but 255.4 is not METRO. It is indeed a FSS nationwide freq. 255.4 and the associated VHF freqs are all run by Lockheed Martin nowadays. If you were going through a Green Bay FSS node, the aircraft will call GREEN BAY RADIO as an example. Can do more than just get weather, but like you stated, that's what it is used for a lot of the time.

The METRO frequencies are tied to the weather shops at particular military bases and just about all on UHF. If the aircraft wanted to talk to the weather briefer at Tinker AFB, they'd call TINKER METRO on whatever the UHF freq is there.

D

DaveNF2G

OK, but I've heard a/c instructed to "come up on METRO" and then appear on 255.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.