Channel 16 Marine Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Listening to CG on CH 16 tonight talking to sailing vessel in distress off Topsail Island, NC, but only getting CG transmission, not responses from distressed vessel. Also heard Navy Helicopter Pedro trying to help direct vessel to Masonboro Inlet to for safe harbor in intercoastal. Finally no longer in distress but coping with heavy seas iguess.

Why only oneside??. Have Home Patrol2 with mobile antenna on window sill but got better reception on R/S Pro 96 with 12 inch rubber duck but still only one sided. Thinking it is antenna strength?? HP2 has always been slower to pick up transmissions. Any suggestions??
Jack
NTB,NC

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
VHF channel 16 is a simplex channel. Transmit and receive are on the same frequency.
The USCG has their antennas fairly high up, either towers, mountains or buildings, to increase their range.
The sailboat they were talking to has a 25 watt radio feeding into a long coax cable with a 1/2 wave (usually) antenna on top of the mast. No telling how far out to sea they were.
Your radio/antenna being closer to the ground won't hear the sailboat due to it probably being over the "radio horizon" from where you are.

Increasing your antenna height might help.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. Figured it was antenna and sailboat's radio strength. Sounded like they first got grounded abutthen were OK

I willlook into possible roof mount for another antenna.. Thanks again.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Altitude is key. The higher your antenna goes, the farther away your radio horizon gets. VHF will bend over the horizon a tiny bit, but not anything you can rely on unless atmospheric conditions are just right. There isn't anything that will replace having the antenna up as high as you can get it.

Use the highest grade coaxial cable you can afford.
Get the antenna up as high as you can.
Use a high gain VHF antenna if that is what you primarily listen to.

Even getting a used marine VHF antenna up on the peak of your roof will help considerably.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Great info. Thanks. Most of my listening is focused on EMS, Fire and Law Enforcement in the 800 and VIPER frequencies. Since the ocean was so rough this evening I also opened the marine band and pick up the CG.But I can see that height will improve all the monitoring. I will see what I can do to get more elevation. Thanks again.

rapidcharger

A distressed vessel might also be using a low power portable marine radio with rubber antenna. Especially if they have lost power or are in the life boat already. That would make it even more challenging to hear that side of the conversation.

n5ims

Why only oneside??. Have Home Patrol2 with mobile antenna on window sill but got better reception on R/S Pro 96 with 12 inch rubber duck but still only one sided.

Coast Guard ground stations have tall towers as well as remote receivers (also with tall towers) to allow them to pick up ships at sea. This makes it easy for them to hear stations that the typical person at home can't. It may be that they're using a remote on some island to hear the ship in trouble and can't even get it from their normal tall tower station. You can pick up their transmission since it may be sent from multiple towers to help get the message out to other ships in the area that can quickly reach the troubled vessel to assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.