KC-135T tracked

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I've been getting tracking (via VRS) of many KC-135's, mostly (R)efuelers, as in my area most of the AFB's are bases for these jets. Once in awhile I get a KC-135T - wikipedia tells me these are upgraded Q's (better engines). However, the Q's & now T's are(were?) used to refuel the SR-71 with JP7. Last I knew, the SR-71 were retired. So it got me wondering - why am I seeing these in the airspace above me? I thought maybe JP7 is being used by new aircraft, maybe the 22 Raptor or the B-2... Then I thought maybe the T designation was for Trainer? Then I did more searching & another possibility I found was that the T might be a RC-135 for reconnaissance, maybe a typo or something by VRS? For all my searching, all I got was more questions... Anyone know what the story is with these T's?

joeuser

The Wretched
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_KC-135_Stratotanker Most of the info is here, newer engines CFM-56 same as the 737-300 with a few exceptions. The KC-135T is a retrofitted KC-135Q. The F-22 and B-2 use JP-8 .

Ah hah! I didn't read the General Upgrades section! It says: "The KC-135Q variant was modified to carry JP-7 fuel necessary for the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, segregating the JP-7 from the KC-135's own fuel supply (the body tanks carrying JP-7, and the wing tanks carrying JP-4 or JP-8). The tanker also had special fuel systems for moving the different fuels between different tanks.[5] When the KC-135Q model received the CFM-56 engines, it was redesignated the KC-135T model, which was capable of separating the main body tanks from the wing tanks where the KC-135 draws its engine fuel. The only external difference between a KC-135R and a KC-135T is the presence of a clear window on the underside of the empennage of the KC-135T where a remote controlled searchlight is mounted. It also has two ground refueling ports, located in each rear wheel well so ground crews can fuel both the body tanks and wing tanks separately. "

I still wish the SR-71's were on active duty!

Thank you sir!

P.S. I've been running VRS for a few days straight now, I'll give it a few more & post another plotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.