Is triple one seven five dead??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslo

Just turned on the eqpt for the first time in a couple months and over the last few days the activity on 11.175 has been minimal to say the least.
Thanks,
Jslo
Central Tx

R75
CR1
JRC NRD 545
AR8600
AR8200 x2
AR1000
Par Endfedz
66ft Skywire
Diamond 3000 Discone

jslo

Cool. That's good to hear. I'll trouble shoot my antenna connections next.

Ty

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Keep in mind that just like any HF signal, signal propagation is going to be a factor in whether you hear something or not. So while checking your antenna connections is always a good idea, propagation just may not have been favorable to central Texas in the last couple of days.

It can and does happen that way...Mike

D

DaveNF2G

There are only two transmitter sites left, so good reception might be less frequent nowadays. Also, there has been a lot of geomagnetic activity and a few storms.

Token

There are only two transmitter sites left, so good reception might be less frequent nowadays. Also, there has been a lot of geomagnetic activity and a few storms.

What do you base this comment on? I have not heard of a reduction from the 13 sites that have been active for the last few years.

I am not sure the system could support the traffic it is required to carry with only 2 sites, I would think the IO, Europe, US, and Pacific at the very least would be required.

(edit) It did not click before, but reading this again I may have an idea where this concept comes from. Last year there was a shift in responsibilities. The ANCS and the GFNCS started shifting some responsibilities, so that the eventual goal was a more evenly distributed work load. However, although there are two major Control Stations with a more evenly split work load the number of remote stations remained the same.

The establishment of split CS's came about after 2001.

Each CS is capable of complete control of all nodes in the network.

T!

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Some of the "experts" on Facebook's military comms group have made that statement several times. One is supposed to be Andrews and the other might be McClellan, but I don't recall for certain. Ask Alan Stern or one of those guys.

Token

Some of the "experts" on Facebook's military comms group have made that statement several times. One is supposed to be Andrews and the other might be McClellan, but I don't recall for certain. Ask Alan Stern or one of those guys.

To the best of my knowledge, all 13 transmitter locations world wide are still in use.

I know that I have recently received HFGCS transmission on remotes that could have only come from Yokota and Croughton (when you receive transmissions on 4 MHz during mid day for the receiver you can pretty closely define the region of the source). Based on local receptions and looking at bearings as well as at the depth / number / timing of echos I can say with relative certainty that I have heard Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Andrews, and Offutt in the past week. I strongly suspect I have heard other stations also, but I have less quantifiable support of that.

In 2014 a directive went out to restructure the system somewhat, designating two Control Stations (there have been two control stations for the last several years) and balancing the load of responsibility between those two (that is the new part). The ANCS (Andrews Network Control Station) is at Andrews, the GFNCS (Grand Forks Network Control Station) is at Grand Forks AFB in ND. Whichever of these has control of the network is designated the MNCS (Master Network Control Station). Any NCS can use / access / control any or all of the 13 transmitter locations.

The directive further defined when and how the MNCS would take charge of the network, including a defined schedule for regular alternation of the MCNS duties even if neither are in HAZCON. This was a significant departure from historic operation.

I can only speculate that this order was misunderstood or interpreted by some in the listening community, and that has resulted in a few people thinking HF-GCS has reduced operations.

T!

D

DaveNF2G

Thanks for the clarification. Two control points makes a lot more sense than two transmit sites.

Token

Just turned on the eqpt for the first time in a couple months and over the last few days the activity on 11.175 has been minimal to say the least.

There has been a real reduction of HF-GCS activity over the last couple of weeks, the last week particularly. At a guess this activity slowdown has been caused by the end of the federal fiscal year.

The way operational units function, particularly with regards to funding for training, is not all that different from a household. In a very general way, each unit is given a training allowance, or training budget, for the year. This budget pays for things like fuel and materials cost in support of training events. Yes, military units have to pay for things like fuel, even if the funds just get transferred from one military organization to another. They are supposed to try and make that budget last all year long. Ideally they run out of training money on September 30, the last day of the fiscal year. They then receive new funding on October 1. In a perversity of government spending you want to spend all of your training funds, with none left over to send back to the general fund. The reasoning here is that if you build a habit of operating significantly under budget each year, then next year when you submit your proposed annual training budget you stand a real chance of someone remembering that for the last few years you operated under your proposed budget, and they might give you a smaller budget than you submit for.

Regardless, units typically try to be conservative in training spending for the first portion of the year. This is particularly true when operating under a continuing resolution and before the annual budget is signed. This means that near mid-year they start to get a good picture of what the rest of the year will look like financially.

Exercises and training cost money. Increased operational tempo means increased consumables cost and increased wear and tear, causing higher materials cost in repairs. So often training picks up about mid-year. And then training slows down near the end of the fiscal year as units start to run very close to the end of their budget.

As I said, there has been a noticeable reduction in HF-GCS activity for the last week+. I suspect, but don’t know for sure, this is caused by the end of the fiscal year. Now that a CR is in place there may be some pickup in activity, but I would not expect real increase until the military budget is passed for the year, tentatively Dec 11.

T!

AD227529

Thanks for posting this. I monitor 11.175 MHz regularly, and I too have been curious as to the reduction in activity in the past two months. For most of the year, I could tune to this frequency any time during daylight hours and hear some transmissions (at least once an hour) but the past few months the frequency has been mostly silent. I never considered that it was due to the budget year, but that makes perfect sense.

airforceflyr

Thanks for posting this. I monitor 11.175 MHz regularly, and I too have been curious as to the reduction in activity in the past two months. For most of the year, I could tune to this frequency any time during daylight hours and hear some transmissions (at least once an hour) but the past few months the frequency has been mostly silent. I never considered that it was due to the budget year, but that makes perfect sense.
Having heard hundreds of unresponsive 'MAINSAIL' calls over the years I don't blame the aircrews for migrating to MARS or just forgoing HF completely.

That being said, the pri and alternative control stations have reverted (post SAC Era) back to daily changing AFKAI - 1 callsigns.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I'm glad this was brought up. I was wondering the same thing about lack of recent activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.