JSTARS 316.500

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Picked up JSTARS E-8 aircraft in communications with a England/English accent pilot around my area. My current setup is my 536HP and a Radio Shack 800mhz BNC antenna. Question, I am going to be setting up DPD Productions MilTenna Omni Antenna for Military air and going to be using LMR400 coax to hook up from antenna to scanner. Am wondering is it worth spending the money and getting a LNA amplifier to boost the signal from the aircrafts above.

pilotman6012

Depends on interference,since most aircraft are up 25,00 to 30,000 or more,amp is usually not needed.Just depends are your area and if you have trees,buildings towers and how high up you get the antenna.I am picking aircraft up over 150 miles away on ground floor in an apartment building with Scantenna 2,no amps,no filters.I am using a splitter for my 3 main aircraft scanners,but i have two backup radios for public safety but do have some aircraft frequencies in those as well,just depends on how busy it gets.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Depends on interference,since most aircraft are up 25,00 to 30,000 or more,amp is usually not needed.Just depends are your area and if you have trees,buildings towers and how high up you get the antenna.I am picking aircraft up over 150 miles away on ground floor in an apartment building with Scantenna 2,no amps,no filters.I am using a splitter for my 3 main aircraft scanners,but i have two backup radios for public safety but do have some aircraft frequencies in those as well,just depends on how busy it gets.

Yeah that is very true. My house is on top of a hill which I can pick up plans flying around near and far. I may not get the amplifier I just wanted to see if buying amplifier will give a better signal when communications are being heard or will I damage my scanner.

Was that in AM or FM mode?
Sorry about that it was in AM mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.