Logging ADS-B/Mode S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

I'm interested in how you guys (like Larry) are logging aircraft seen by your receiver. Do you mind helping a guy out? I am running a Pi 3 with dump1090-mutability_1.15dev.

Airboss

Silent Key
Actually a lot depends of the software you are using, what it is logging/storing and if you are feeding another site what they can provide back to you.

I'm feeding my raw data 24/7 via a dedicated server (Military Air planes with Mode-S ADS-B). That let's me take it back out (which are the logs you see) or look at what I have feed at any day of the day. I also feed via the Planeplotter software (PlanePlotter from COAA) to Pinkfroot's Planefinder website. That gives me access to a lot more.

I can also access my data local since I am using a Kinetic Aviation SBS-1 and its BaseStation software (Home | Kinetic Avionic Products).

So in a nutshell your answer depends on what software you are using, who you are feeding (if anyone) and what information is available off your ADS-B/Mode-S raw data.

I wrote an introductory article on all this for the March 2016 issue of The Spectrum Monitor e-zine that should be available for individual purchase on their website at The Spectrum Monitor. I highly recommend those interested in getting into ADS-B/Mode-S monitoring check out the rtl-sdr.com - RTL-SDR (RTL2832U) and software defined radio news and projects. Also featuring Airspy, HackRF, FCD, SDRplay and more. website. Looks of good info and you don't have to spend your children inheritance to get into this aspect of the hobby.

Hope that helps

Chief Larry

car2back

Thanks for the reply Larry! I think I had a short chat with you the other day via email. I tried at one time to feed Military Air planes with Mode-S ADS-B and had some trouble getting it running on the pi, I think I'll give it a shot again. I'm also using Joe Prochazka's ADSB receiver SD image and it has some limited functionality logging flights locally using SQL, It just isn't exactly what I'd like it to be (...yet, he's got a great project going).

P.S. Thanks for the links.

Airboss

Silent Key
Several years ago when I first got into Mode-S monitoring I was fortunate that my best friend the late Jack Nesmith was already feeding Albert's Live-Mode-S site. Between Albert and Jack I managed to step through the maze quite well. Albert has some forums up on his site and someone may be able to Elmer you through the process if they are already feeding using your setup. Worth a shot.

Chief

car2back

Larry,

Got the Albert's software running on the pi today, looking forward to using his site!

btw, still seeing that "Hex Hole" ADFB2C at KTUL.. it transmitting an altitude of 80k feet, but at this moment I am receiving it's signal at -2.8dbFS... thinking about building a 3 element 109mhz yagi and trying to narrow down which aircraft at the OKANG base is transmitting it ;)

Airboss

Silent Key
I look forward to seeing some Tulsa action on the site for sure and congrads on getting it working. Great place to feed for sure.

As for ADFB2C most the hex codes I have received around it are a mystery as well. The last US civilian aircraft hex code is ADF7C7 which would relate to aircraft registration N99999. Past that I have some ground and Mode-S call test codes and your Tulsa hex code is in the middle of that bunch. Some of these codes are for ground units at selected airports for sure. Others, well I just don't know. My guess is that this area of US hex codes are assigned for civilian use since my first known US military hex code starts at ADFC00.

Those mystery codes between the end of the civ aircraft block and the beginning of the known DoD aircraft block are

ADF7ED
ADF8C1 Reporting FL900
ADF97F
ADF991 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADF992 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADF993 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADF994 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFA21
ADFA39
ADFA69
ADFABD Reporting FL800
ADFB2C Your TUL hex code reporting FL800
ADFBDD (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFBDE (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFBDF (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFBE0 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFBF4 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)
ADFBF5 (Grnd Unit with Test 1234 in call block)

Just wondering out loud (as I often do) since some of these things do not appear to be moving, I wonder if some of these hex codes are for static high altitude balloons. I'm not saying that there aren't any fed/gov hex codes in this ADF7C8-ADFBFF block, I just haven't found any yet that I can confirm.

Good hunting de Larry

car2back

I just can't imagine ADFB2C actually being at FL800 with how strong I am receiving it... that said, I am like 300 yards from the FAA control tower & antenna farm, might it likely be emanating from there?

P.S.- I sent an FOIA request to the FAA asking for any information pertaining to ground radar or transponder equipment testing at KTUL on this date that is transmitting the ICAO 24-bit address "adfb2c" and altitude 80000 feet :)

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Interesting. Why would a ground based radar have a Mode-S hex address?

Am I missing something here?

Chief

Some radar stations transmit TIS-B which advises ADS-B equipped aircraft traffic reports. I would assume since it's transmitting, like aircraft, it would need it's own identifier.

Several ground stations across the US use the same identifier as well.

freqhopping

It's normal for ground transmitters to show random altitudes. The ones I receive from Dulles will often show altitudes that are jumping all over the places. I'm currently receiving two, showing no altitude.

Airboss

Silent Key
Some radar stations transmit TIS-B which advises ADS-B equipped aircraft traffic reports. I would assume since it's transmitting, like aircraft, it would need it's own identifier.

Several ground stations across the US use the same identifier as well.

When I first researched TIS-B that wasn't quite my take on it. The way I understand TIS-B (Traffic Information Service Broadcast) in the aircraft it lets you will see traffic on your display that is in addition to the ADS-B traffic. TIS-B traffic is transponder traffic that is being read by a terminal radar, and then relayed to an aircraft via the GBT / ADS-B data link. The aircraft may receive intermittent TIS-B target of itself, typically when maneuvering (e.g., climbing turn) - due to radar not tracking as quickly as ADS-B. TIS-B only sees transponder equipped aircraft. No-transponder = no TIS-B target. I haven't observed enough civilian traffic here north of KATL to really tell what I should see with a TIS-B target. Guess it is something I should pay more attention to but I'm really busy with the mil/gov side of things. ;-)

Thanks for the thoughts and I will look into that in more detail.

Airboss

Silent Key
It's normal for ground transmitters to show random altitudes. The ones I receive from Dulles will often show altitudes that are jumping all over the places. I'm currently receiving two, showing no altitude.

Tis true. Like I said, I think for the most part that the ADF7C8-ADFBFF block is probably civilian and I would bet on ground stations, but can't rule out something else here that flies.

Chief

kma371

QRT
When I first researched TIS-B that wasn't quite my take on it. The way I understand TIS-B (Traffic Information Service Broadcast) in the aircraft it lets you will see traffic on your display that is in addition to the ADS-B traffic. TIS-B traffic is transponder traffic that is being read by a terminal radar, and then relayed to an aircraft via the GBT / ADS-B data link. The aircraft may receive intermittent TIS-B target of itself, typically when maneuvering (e.g., climbing turn) - due to radar not tracking as quickly as ADS-B. TIS-B only sees transponder equipped aircraft. No-transponder = no TIS-B target. I haven't observed enough civilian traffic here north of KATL to really tell what I should see with a TIS-B target. Guess it is something I should pay more attention to but I'm really busy with the mil/gov side of things. ;-)

Thanks for the thoughts and I will look into that in more detail.

TIS-B transmissions on ADS-b receivers don't seem to be common unless close to airports. An ADS-B station near me can get it and I cant. He's about 1-2 miles closer than me to the airport. My other remote station is about 1 mile from another airport and I get TIS-B plots all day long.

Airboss

Silent Key
TIS-B transmissions on ADS-b receivers don't seem to be common unless close to airports. An ADS-B station near me can get it and I cant. He's about 1-2 miles closer than me to the airport. My other remote station is about 1 mile from another airport and I get TIS-B plots all day long.

Do you have some examples of the hex codes that you see that can be related directly to TIS-B transmissions?

kma371

QRT
Do you have some examples of the hex codes that you see that can be related directly to TIS-B transmissions?

TIS-B plots are generally the ones in lower case letters in Planeplotter software.

Now if your asking what HEX codes belong to the ground transmitters those are the TEST1234 ones. Currently, I am seeing ADF992 and ADF994 at my location.

Airboss

Silent Key
TIS-B plots are generally the ones in lower case letters in Planeplotter software.

Now if your asking what HEX codes belong to the ground transmitters those are the TEST1234 ones. Currently, I am seeing ADF992 and ADF994 at my location.

Gotcha. Thanks for the follow up and now I know what to look for the next time I'm at KATL.

Chief

BM82557

Ground transmitters ADF994 and ADFBE0 TEST1234 are on the air 7 by 24 in my area. The coordinates point to KDCA -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.