311.000 & 323.800 simulcasting-quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

So i imagine everyone reading this has heard HUNTRESS et al on 364.200, amongst others, doing broadcasts with co-ordinates and other such things on a regular basis. It's neat as a first time Mil-Air listener to hear it, my "first" UHF with my BC125 was HUNTRESS on 364.200, but it didn't take long for me to tire of it. I keep 364.2, 311.0, 323.8 etc running cause if your only interest is Mil-Air, things can be kinda slow.

Yesterday, similar type broadcast on 323.8 popped up when i was trying to track something else, locked it out and the broadcast, same voice same sentence, seamlessly transitioned to 311.000. I put Pro668 on 323.8 and got to listen in stereo.

Out of curiosity is this fairly common? I can't say for certain if i have had that happen before, and I have been listening for close to 2 years, intensively. Also, I am assuming this is originating from the same source, a Doomsday plane somewhere, but then again I don't know a whole lot about these messages. Anyone aware of other common multi-cast frequency pairs/sets?

That's all, thanks. :)

autovon

Ø
Likely from a Navy E-6B. Yes, pretty common in some locations. These messages are also sometimes simulcast on HF (HFGCS).

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
How do you ensure all deployed assets receive a broadcast message? By having them monitor a single freq? Not hardly... better to simulcast on as many freqs as possible. Read the accounts of what was heard on HFGCS when the "go" order was given for the first Iraq invasion (which I think are here on RR as well as other places).

spacellamaman

Likely from a Navy E-6B. Yes, pretty common in some locations. These messages are also sometimes simulcast on HF (HFGCS).

Okey dokey I appreciate it. I seem to remember reading simulcast on multiple bands like HF was common, due to obvious reasons, just the first time i have encountered it. do you think it implies a level of importance or simply trying to reach multiple receivers/coverage areas and i happened to be in range for once?

How do you ensure all deployed assets receive a broadcast message? By having them monitor a single freq? Not hardly...

they should monitor all frequencies. at once. like me.

Anyone aware of other common multi-cast VHF/UHF frequency pairs/sets?

Hooligan

323.80 is a USN Strategic Communications Wing ONE "intercom" channel, in use for the past 10 or 15 years now. If you hear an EAM going out on it, it's to ensure other E-6Bs in the air or on alert/training on the ground, plus some other SCW-1 assets pick it up. If you hear the EAM being simulcast on 311.0, 321.0 & HF channels, it's for other forces to copy it.

Often you may hear an EAM or FDM go out on just 323.8, and then shortly afterward, you may hear other assets broadcast the same or a different message out on 311.0, 321.0, & HF. Sometimes you may catch an EAM being broadcast on 311.0/HF & shortly afterward, you hear the same one relayed on 323.8. That's often an E-4B NAOC originating an EAM, and then an E-6B rebroadcasting it on 323.8 to ensure it's teammates caught it.

If you're in the right areas, you can hear this sort of stuff daily on UHF.

spacellamaman

Thank you very much sir, thats more like what I was trying to find out. I really must familiarize myself with the EAMs and FDM as I rarely hear anything that seems to stick out over the others.

Often you may hear an EAM or FDM go out on just 323.8, and then shortly afterward, you may hear other assets broadcast the same or a different message out on 311.0, 321.0, & HF.

this is much more like what i have encountered so far. this summer was my first time to the NC Outer Banks as a MIL capable scanner, and besides being blown away at the non-stop stream of traffic, I heard quite a bit of the call outs giving co-ords, by the same voice/person but switching from one frequency to another.

which BTW since you are clearly well informed on this, while at the OBX, i never heard HUNTRESS on 364.2, but repeatedly on that and some of the other common freqs i heard the same sort of messages by "ANIMOSITY". its not a big deal, but i can find nothing on that callsign, just curious if you knew anything about it. i found the callsign itself humorous and the vocal/tonal qualities of the speakers voice really cracked me up. loonng multi minute Tx's droning on and on with a speech pattern distinct from others I have heard. kind of a cross between "i am the epitomy of my callsign's definition" and/or "i... hate.. doing... this... i... hate... my... job.......This is ANIMOSITY....five...seven....five....six"

Hooligan

It's quibbling/getting into semantics, but FYI, "ANIMOSITY" or "HUNTRESS" would be a callword, while "SALTY DOG 21" or "HEINZ 57" would be examples of callsigns.

I don't know who/what ANIMOSITY is. If you posted verbatim or shared a recording of some of their traffic, I could make an educated guess. HUNTRESS is a well-known, static callword & they use remote communications outlets called NDAGs -- National Defense Air/Ground scattered around their area of responsibility & the ability to access others too. I first heard HUNTRESS back in the early 1980s in Michigan. Especially if you're hearing ANIMOSITY on the 364.20 AICC channel, it could be a newish callword used by an air control & warning facility down at Tyndall AFB Florida, a fixed or mobile RADAR site or ARNG Patriot air defense battery unit in your area, or maybe an airborne early warning & control aircraft (like a USAF E-3 or USN E-2). But because they do tactical stuff, their transmissions should be pretty brief. A lengthy transmission with a monotone, almost bored-sounding speaker sounds more like someone broadcasting an EAM or FDM, which generally aren't heard on 364.20. Especially if the ANIMOSITY callword was just heard one day, but not since, it'd seem like you were hearing an airborne command post aircraft using a tactical callword. HUNTRESS is a 'static' callword because it's used over a relatively lone time (they have other callwords too), whereas the airborne command post aircraft battlestaff use a 'tactical' callword that changes on pre-determined intervals, sometimes their entire flight, sometimes they switch at 0000Z when they move to a new day's communications security procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.