Chain Of Lake Fire And Rescue District

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am just wondering if anybody else here saw the segment on KMSP about Chain Of Lake Fire And Rescue District? Holy smokes do they have a mess up there. I didn't see it on the KMSP site yet, but I would imagine they will post it soon. By any chance does anybody here live in that area?

Chain of Lakes Fire & Rescue District

KMSP Search Results

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they definitely have some improvement to do, but I don't think a 10 minute response time is horrible for a small volunteer fire department like this. You are talking about people that have to drop whatever they are doing when they get paged, drive to the fire station, get all of their gear on, and get in the fire truck and respond to the scene. It's not like they have people sitting at the station ready to go on a moments notice.

People also need to realize that firefighters don't just show up and rush into a burning building. Safety is top priority, not saving the building. Unless it's a rescue situation, most departments don't allow any crews to enter the building until there is water supply established and at least one more crew on scene and ready for RIT.

Also sounds like they need some better mutual aid protocol so there isn't any question about which department(s) they call when they need help. They should also have neighboring departments paged out automatically when they have a report of a structure fire. Even the larger departments here in the metro area do that. They can always cancel them if they are not needed.

Buildings sometimes burn to the ground even here in the cities where there are usually multiple crews on scene within just a few minutes of call time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes they do have a mess. This basically started because the town ships received a bill that was calculated wrong, and a few township leaders convinced all the other chairmen that the city is trying to screw the townships And that they can do this themselves and should go and start there own fire dept. What people dont realize is majority of the people in the townships didnt want this to happen they had no say so. Just because they are trained and certified doesnt mean they know how to do it all. The very first call they had at Cold Spring Granite someone got injured and they had no gauze. Even people with out training know better than that. The segment on fox 9 happened because someone from the townships requested it. Also to address there second fire. Cold Spring FD was ready and left there fire hall nearly the same time chain of lakes, and arrived only a few moments after chain of lakes, they are wearing there pagers wide open, when chain of lakes has anything more than a medical they go to the hall because they know that chain of lakes will ask for them. Also the it started as a dryer fire and the lady in the home actually had a fire ext in the room of the fire and basically putt it out till the fire ext ran out then called 911 so the fire was very confined.
This is a complete joke.

Also to Raven 9510 RFD has that system when there is a structure fire a neighboring dept is automatically paged. Not wait until they get to the hall then page them that makes no sense.

sfd119

It all boils down to money, and lately, most townships acrossed MN & WI are getting very greedy because they are losing money elsewhere.

If Richmond was so concerned on wanting them to succeed because "their family members are in the township too", why don't they offer the shadowing program for free?

I see a lot of fault on both sides, but in the end, the shed still burned to the ground.

It was not the fire dept decision it was the citys. And the townships wanted to do this all alone. Why should Richmond fire dept take time out of there day to help a dept that never should have started in the first place if you lived in the area you would know. Almost everyone in the area wants Richmond to serve the area It isnt good for any one of them. Also if the city would have said do it for free they still probably would have declined it. It is over looked, Richmond had there reason for setting the bill and that was really not that high of priced they would be helping the department along if they wanted the shadowing they have to pay. Also this was supposedly started by just money the townships have to now pay more than they did before and the home owners ins WILL go up. Im not saying that if Richmond would take over again that every house every building and every accident would have a great out come, but they have way more experience, and have been serving the area forever and the fire halls are very close to each other it makes no sense to mess with an already established system that worked very well. And it has nothing to do with the shed. What happens when there is a car accident none of these people have ever extricated someone from a car under real circumstances. Will the use the same excuse like oh it was a first time experience and it will get better over time. There is so much hate on this new dept the people they are serving dont want it either!

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unfortunately, I think between this and the story about Foley considering using private security to police their city, I really think some cities and townships are taking for granted the value of experience. Thinking that GSSC can police the City Of Foley was foolhardy. Similarly, using a a brand new fire departrment that has training, but essentially zero experience was a mistake.

people that are for these types of changes obviously dont realize the risk, or simply dont care and if thats the case they shouldnt be the ones in this type of work. Its very hard to watch this type of thing happen in your community, its all about first response, its key to any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.