Best indoor 800mhz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle16

Whats the Best indoor 800mhz antenna for the sw metro? im using a pro 96
i live in carver county and id like to pick up anoka county.
any ideas would be appreciated

also if i got a yagi antenna would i need to power it some how?

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Best Indoor 800 Mhz Antenna

How far do you live from the tower that you want to monitor? Also, do you want to monitor ALL traffic on the Anoka County sub-system or are there just certain talkgroups you want to hear? You could check one of the other sites to see if any Anoka County traffic is carried on it. For example, possibly some Anoka County traffic is carried on an adjacent sub-system.

As far as straight up yagi, inside from Carver County to Anoka County, I think that is a long shot. A regular yagi requires no power, but an amplifier would require electrical power.

turtle16

id i need a yagi antenna with an amplifier right? aiming at a hennapin tower?

bear780ks

I like the R.S. 800 antenna i just wished it was produced with a SMA finding a Good SMA that brings in the 800 really well can be a little daunting at times to find i did however find two at Scanner Master that i wouldn't Mind getting but for the Past few weeks they have been out of stock.!

The models numbers are as followed: 15-541014 & 14-541098 :cool:

JASII

Memory Capacity

Before you buy another antenna, can you get the Hennepin sub-system now with what you already have?

JASII

Memory Capacity

Before you buy another antenna, can you get the Hennepin sub-system now with what you already have? Try Hennepin West and Hennepin East and then report back here with your results. That will help shape some further suggestions.

Update: Is that East or West?

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to hear Anoka County's main dispatch TGs on Hennepin East and West most of the time. Car to car/Tac TGs probably not so much. I think your chances of getting any kind of decent signal in from Anoka in Carver County are pretty slim, even with a good antenna. Maybe if you get one way up on a tower, but even then it would probably be iffy at best.

Where exactly in Carver County are you? Carver County covers a large area, if we can get a better idea of your location it would certainly help.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity

I concur with Raven95150. Since it sounds like you are mainly interested in ARMER and want an indoor antenna, you could even consider a commercial single band 800 mHz gain antenna and a magnetic mount. That way you can put the mount on a metal filing cabinet and it will serve as a ground plain for the antenna. A 5 db gain antenna that is tuned for 800 mHz can improve your reception quite a bit. Probably enough to get Hennepin East and/or Hennepin West and at least get the main talkgroungs from Anoka County Central Communications.

Laird B8065 Antenna, 806-866 MHz, 5db Gain

turtle16

Before you buy another antenna, can you get the Hennepin sub-system now with what you already have? Try Hennepin West and Hennepin East and then report back here with your results. That will help shape some further suggestions.

Update: Is that East or West?
east is a bit better a 56%

turtle16

You should be able to hear Anoka County's main dispatch TGs on Hennepin East and West most of the time. Car to car/Tac TGs probably not so much. I think your chances of getting any kind of decent signal in from Anoka in Carver County are pretty slim, even with a good antenna. Maybe if you get one way up on a tower, but even then it would probably be iffy at best.

Where exactly in Carver County are you? Carver County covers a large area, if we can get a better idea of your location it would certainly help.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

im in chanhassen

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
If youre going to pull in anoka county off the actual anoka count towers, which you'll need to do if you want to hear more than the main dispatch talk groups, youre likely going to need a yagi fairly high up outside. Thats a pretty far distance for that signal to go.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Best Indoor 800mhz Antenna

Are you using the Radio Shack PRO-96 for ARMER monitoring? If so, what is the firmware that is loaded on the device? The PRO-96 has (or at least had) some serious challenges decoding the Minnesota ARMER System.

Here is a quote: ".....reception of a Simulcast Project25 CQPSK multisite system is horrible, and nearly unusable....." That is what the Minnesota ARMER System is, so if you can post what firmware you are using we can go from there.

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/1721-pro-96-cqpsk-unsatisfactory.html

PRO-96 FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Radio Shack PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner Product Reviews

turtle16

Are you using the Radio Shack PRO-96 for ARMER monitoring? If so, what is the firmware that is loaded on the device? The PRO-96 has (or at least had) some serious challenges decoding the Minnesota ARMER System.

Here is a quote: ".....reception of a Simulcast Project25 CQPSK multisite system is horrible, and nearly unusable....." That is what the Minnesota ARMER System is, so if you can post what firmware you are using we can go from there.

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/1721-pro-96-cqpsk-unsatisfactory.html

PRO-96 FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Radio Shack PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner Product Reviews
yes i am monitoring ARMER and
DSP version U1.4 issued 02-20-2007

JASII

Memory Capacity
Best Indoor 800mhz Antenna

By any chance do you know any other hobbyists in your area that have either a newer Radio Shack/GRE or a Uniden scanner? It would be nice if you could have them try listening at your location to see how it compares to your unit. I would hate to think that you get soured on the hobby because of the problems with the PRO96.

turtle16

By any chance do you know any other hobbyists in your area that have either a newer Radio Shack/GRE or a Uniden scanner? It would be nice if you could have them try listening at your location to see how it compares to your unit. I would hate to think that you get soured on the hobby because of the problems with the PRO96.

i know someone with a pro 106 is that one any better?

JASII

Memory Capacity

I do seem to recall that PRO106 users have reported better results on ARMER, but don't go by what I think, have them stop by your house and do a side by side comparison. Have them both listening on the same talkgroups at the same time and then decide. I think there might even be a YouTube video or two that covers some of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.