RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum

Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Minnesota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 2:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Uniden Squelch Settings

Just curious what you guys use for your squelch levels on your Uniden scanners. I have been fighting with mine because it keeps dropping the signal and I am missing out on important updates. Up until this point I have tried setting this squelch on every level from 1-15 and at no point was I satisfied with the quality. Until I turned it to Zero and now I am not getting any drops and it seems to be working like a champ.

From what I understand squelch is a built in part of the system, so why would I be receiving the signal better without it. Also how do you set the squelch on the ARMER system as I have read the Do-it-yourself deals and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Thank you for your time,
James
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWayzata View Post
Just curious what you guys use for your squelch levels on your Uniden scanners. I have been fighting with mine because it keeps dropping the signal and I am missing out on important updates. Up until this point I have tried setting this squelch on every level from 1-15 and at no point was I satisfied with the quality. Until I turned it to Zero and now I am not getting any drops and it seems to be working like a champ.

Thank you for your time,
James
Well I did have my squelch on my BCT15X turned up all the way to 19. But UPMan tells me bad things can happen when the squelch is turned up like I had mine.

Here's his quote: Having squelch turned up all the way typically results in "bad things." (Like lots of audio dropouts, completely missed comms, poor control channel handoffs, etc.) Squelch should be set "at threshold."

So now I have it turned down to 10. I'll try that for today and maybe try going lower tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Threshold is usually around 3 or 4.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The proper way to set squelch is to tune to a conventional frequency without PL, DCS, or NAC or communications. Turn the squelch until you begin to hear the constant hiss from the radio and then back it back the other way just until the hiss stops. Then leave it there. You can't do this while monitoring a trunked system

Mike

Providing ADS-B data from NW Ohio for http://www.flightradar24.com
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Mid-MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Set it for 2 - most sensitive without it locking up on an analog frequency. When adjusting it on a digital system the squelch has no effect as far as locking up the scanner with the hiss.
Although if " all " the analog frequencies you programmed have the PL, DPL tones, you can go all the way to zero.

Last edited by Ronaldski; 05-24-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2013, 9:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
Set it for 2 - most sensitive without it locking up on an analog frequency. When adjusting it on a digital system the squelch has no effect as far as locking up the scanner with the hiss.
Although if " all " the analog frequencies you programmed have the PL, DPL tones, you can go all the way to zero.
I learned something from your post. Makes sense that someone could turn their squelch down to zero if all the correct tones are programmed in.

Thanks again for your insight.....
Old 05-24-2013, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
According to UPMan's post about the squelch and simulcast systems, he states that having the squelch at zero will slow scanning of conventional channels, as the scanner stops on each channel to check PL, even if there is no carrier.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Mid-MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

By far unless the signal is on the cusp of either barely breaking squelch or just barely not breaking squelch is where squelch settings really come into play. At that point setting squelch real low would allow the audio through on those marginally weak signals.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM

MY two cents On my 996XT I have it at 2 and works fine.Had it at zero and had some slight problems now it is great. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored links