Rebanding Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

westgateblvd

Hi. First post here. I just bought a Radio Shack Pro 96 off ebay. I had a scanner before, but it was a Pro 50. Every thing has changed almost in St. Louis County. It is now digital. This is the first scanner with alot more items on it than the pro 50. I have the frequencies for St. Louis County. I live in Duluth. I pressed program. Put in the frequency numbers, and pressed enter. The read the manual, but can't understand much of it.
The screen says that it wants to know the Bank, Channel, and it says ( M000...D.+FM I can't figure out any of it. When I put in the number and pressed enter. I tried scan. Nothing. I called Radio Shack. They said the unit is to old, and I need a triple trunking unit. All I know is that this is digital, and has trunking which I don't know what it is. Is there a book out there "For Dummies" on the pro 96?? Can someone help me with this problem?? I just want to hear the police calls again.. Thanks..

westgateblvd

I did. I called Radio Shack again just now. They told me that with the new system that has been installed I need triple trunking. I belive this is only dual trunking. I guess I should re post it on ebay..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
I did. I called Radio Shack again just now. They told me that with the new system that has been installed I need triple trunking. I belive this is only dual trunking. I guess I should re post it on ebay..

The Pro-96 will work for St. Louis County. I currently have my 96 running a Minneapolis Fire Feed. Look it up on Broadcasify under Hennepin County. Anyways, I would go to RS and buy your self the programming software. Install it on your computer, and I can make you a program for St. Louis County. I can then email it to you and you can install it on your computer, then to your Scanner.

Let me know if this helps any.

~Ryan

Last edited:

westgateblvd

Our radio shack wouldn't do anything for me. They told me with the new system that is running in Duluth I wouldn't be able to get it without a triple trunking unit. I relisted it on ebay. What I need is a radio shack 164.

westgateblvd

I guess my big question is.. What would be a good one for me.. I don't want to spend a lot on a scanner. My Wife and I just seem to listen to the Police calls, and snow plows in the winter to see where they are. What Radio Shack said I need is a Digital Triple Trunking scanner. I have been looking a a bunch of different ones. There is a Pro 164, and some others I know nothing about. Has to be easy to program though. I don't care if it is refurbished either.. Thanks

Tahoe1970

Premium Subscriber
Pro-96 & Triple Trunking

"Triple trunking" is a Radio Shack term that may have different meanings for different radios (see this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...hack-triple-trunking-meaning-has-changed.html).
Many older Radio Shack scanners are labeled as "triple trunking" but they will NOT be able to pick up digital transmissions without hardware modifications and additional equipment.

Traditionally it meant that the radio could track Motorola Analog, EDACS, and LTR trunked systems and "dual trunking scanners" only picked up 2 types. This is true for the Pro-96 as it does not track LTR trunked systems. Looking in the database for your area, the only LTR trunking system is for business stuff and an EMS helos.

I do not have experience trunking an 800 mHz P25 system but I do know that in order to open up the 96 for 800 mHz rebanded freqs, your best bet is Win96 or ARC 96 programming software. I personally use Win96 but as I mentioned, I don't monitor any of these particular types of systems.
Both programs have free trials which you may try to see if they will work with your system.

All of the new digital scanners (assuming you still want a handheld model) are likely being sold for more than you will sell your 96 for. If it's not too late to stop the sale, I would consider trying the software route to see if you can make that work.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Pro 96

Take the Pro-96 off of Ebay, It WILL work for Duluth. The Pro-164 will NOT work.

westgateblvd

I tried to download win96, and screwed over my computer by adding different browsers. After cleaning up the computer. It wouldn't open unless I ran chrome. I already have a bid of $175. I am going to sell it on ebay. I would like to know what I should look for in another handheld scanner. I already know that it will cost me more. I would just like to know what brands, and price range I will be lookin at. Thanks

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Good Scanners

I tried to download win96, and screwed over my computer by adding different browsers. After cleaning up the computer. It wouldn't open unless I ran chrome. I already have a bid of $175. I am going to sell it on ebay. I would like to know what I should look for in another handheld scanner. I already know that it will cost me more. I would just like to know what brands, and price range I will be lookin at. Thanks

The one I would suggest would be either the Radio Shack Pro 106:

RadioShack PRO-106 Police Scanner Radio

Or the Uniden BCD396XT:

Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT Police Scanner Radio

Both are great Scanners. The Uniden has a lot more features, but since you seem to be a beginner at the 800 MHz P25, I would suggest the Radio Shack Pro-106. Its more user friendly. Again, If you do purchase the Pro-106, Id buy the Programming software that RS sells. Download it onto your computer, I can make you a file for St Louis Co, and Duluth and send it to you..

Let me know.

westgateblvd

Thanks. I was going to sell a few parts at back to the 50's, but now I will be selling to help pay for another scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Pro 106 vs BCD396xt

I don't think the uniden has a "lot" more features, and for someone already having trouble with a Pro 96, the menu and organization of banks in the Pro 106 is much easier to understand. I have both in addition to the GRE 800 and Pro 18. My experience goes back to the first 4 crystal RS scanner, and the uniden is the most confusing to inexperienced users.

westgateblvd

Boy that pro 106 is over $400. I can't afford that. I am just a janitor at a hospital.
Is there a good discount place, or a place that has refurbished units that anyone knows of??

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Scanner

I don't think the uniden has a "lot" more features, and for someone already having trouble with a Pro 96, the menu and organization of banks in the Pro 106 is much easier to understand. I have both in addition to the GRE 800 and Pro 18. My experience goes back to the first 4 crystal RS scanner, and the uniden is the most confusing to inexperienced users.

Yes, I would agree, I was just telling him what he wanted to know. At this point rule out the Uniden and go with the RS.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider

stmills

The pro96 will do ARMER just fine, cancel the eBay listing, keep the 96, use it for a while and see what other features mean the most to you. I bought a used 96 for my first scanner to cover ARMER, it did great for me. I sold it because I got a good offer and wanted a smaller scanner- the Uniden 396t.

westgateblvd

I found a pro 106 on ebay that is at $207. right now. I may bid $250., and hope for the best. My 96 is st $177.50 right now with 5 days left.

Status
Not open for further replies.