How do you guys get all the database info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

I was wondering how you guys get all this radio info? Do you just ask??

Thanks

n5ims

There are times that an agency will submit their information, but this is rather rare. There are a few industry folks on here that submit (mostly with permission) the information for the radios that they work on. Mostly it's somebody that lives in city A that scans around and identifies an agency and submits that information (if they're sure) or creates a post in the forums so others in that area can confirm what they hear (if they're not sure). Once that information is confirmed to be correct it's submitted to the database.

How can somebody be sure if they just listen you ask (yes, I read your mind!)? Lots of ways actually. If you're listening to a frequency (say 123.456 MHz) that dispatches an ambulance to an address across the street and shortly afterwards an ambulance shows up there, you can be pretty sure that that frequency handles the ambulance dispatches for your area. You can walk down the street and see that the name on the ambulance is "You slice 'em, we transport 'em" and can be sure enough to submit the entry that 123.456 MHz is used in MyTown to dispatch "You slice 'em, we transport 'em" Ambulance Service.

If folks all over do this as they identify what they hear, you'll end up with a large and reliable database like the one here.

troymail

Silent Key
Most of the information comes from us (scanner) users -- using the SEARCH functions of our scanners.

Search and find CONVENTIONAL frequencies -- monitoring and determining who the users are (police dispatch, fire dispatch, etc.).

Search and find TRUNKED system control channel frequencies -- then either use a program like Pro96Com (free!) and/or program the control channel frequency the look for new trunked system talkgroups.... followed by the same as above - try to determine who the user of each talkgroup is.

Most importantly of course - is to take the time to submit the finds to Radio Reference -- so everyone else can use the information.

Use that SEARCH functionality!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Lucky Listener

Most of the information comes from us (scanner) users -- using the SEARCH functions of our scanners.

Search and find CONVENTIONAL frequencies -- monitoring and determining who the users are (police dispatch, fire dispatch, etc.).

Search and find TRUNKED system control channel frequencies -- then either use a program like Pro96Com (free!) and/or program the control channel frequency the look for new trunked system talkgroups.... followed by the same as above - try to determine who the user of each talkgroup is.

Most importantly of course - is to take the time to submit the finds to Radio Reference -- so everyone else can use the information.

Use that SEARCH functionality!

While browsing through RR forum, I ran across this thread. Yes, I've often wondered how listeners obtain detailed fleet map information, etc. for statewide P25 or MOT trunking systems.

Here in Texas, I know that some of the information comes from a "professional radio fairy" who will remain unknown. I won't elaborate on this; however, another route of obtaining information for some smaller systems might come from where Waco, Texas obtained their information specific to the Waco P25 system, the Freedom of Information Act.

Initially, when I heard Waco was going to be installing a Phase II P25 system, I "outed" the local PD on their Facebook page asking if they were going to encrypt emergency radio traffic like nearby Fort Worth, Texas.

The Waco PD Public Information officer quickly responded by saying something like, "don't put the cart before the horse, give us a chance." He indicated that they wanted the public to hear the funny, scary, exciting & difficult things they had to contend with on a daily basis. He further stated that obviously some channels will be encrypted, but only for the more sensitive channels like Narcotics & SWAT. The bottom line, he wanted to instill trust, not distrust between citizen & emergency responders.

He invited me to send him a message. He gave me his work phone & asked me to send an email. Consequently, he gave me the exact wording that the local television news crew used to obtain the particulars of the system through the Freedom of Information Act. I submitted such, but later found out the aforementioned press submitted the necessary information to the RR DB.

So, some agencies are more forthcoming than others.

I must admit, the statewide P25 in Minnesota & the documentation of such in RR DB is absolutely phenomenal. From what I understand, some of the listeners have meetings & share information with one another. I envy such cooperation since I know of none in my immediate area.

Last edited:

Our county submitted all our information so that in a disaster responder that have programmable radio could have their radio program before arriving. Also our Homeland Security District have mobile programmable repeater they can deploy with this information. And when one of our dept. changes radio dealers we just refer them to this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.