Minneapolis PD/Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
What am I doing wrong?
I've got a Pro-197 scanner and Arc500 software and a Discone Ant, I live in Ramsey co and have no problems getting St Paul/Ramsey Co and Washington Co signals. Nothing from Hennepin Co

Distance shouldn't be an issue

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, I've got Hennepin East loaded and all Mpls groups. I'm fairly new to this, so i"m not totally sure what I'm doing yet!

Which tower are you trying to receive them on?
Are you getting any signal from the control channel?

johnmoe1

Minneapolis police are not (frequently) on Hennepin East.

See Talkgroups/Site *. Find the talkgroup you want and then hover over a green square to see which site you need to hear it. Minneapolis Police requires a Minneapolis site.

* I am not trying to repeatedly promote this web page of mine, but it seems useful again.

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll try Hennepin West, that might be the problem

Minneapolis police are not (frequently) on Hennepin East.

See Talkgroups/Site *. Find the talkgroup you want and then hover over a green square to see which site you need to hear it. Minneapolis Police requires a Minneapolis site.

* I am not trying to repeatedly promote this web page of mine, but it seems useful again.

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
Ok I got it, I entered Hennepin instead of Ramsey where it
asks for Co. I've got MPLS now
Thanks for the help

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The majority of the Minneapolis Fire and Police transmissions occur on the Minneapolis N - S sub-system (aka 1-009). This should not be confused with the Minneapolis City Center sub-system, which is for state agencies and EMS.

Upon occasion, I'll get a Minneapolis police or fire unit to come in on a Hennepin site.

When I'm up in Minneapolis, I'll have the following sites programmed in my scanner: Hennepin East, Hennepin West, Minneapolis City Center, Minneapolis N-S, Anoka, Dakota and Ramsey.

That's so I can receive the things I'm interested in: Minneapolis police, state patrol, all fire departments and Hennepin EMS. I also have the state interoperability talkgroups and all of the Tactical channels.

I seem to be hearing everything I'm interested in.

I see you are relatively new to this forum, so I'm presuming that you are fairly new to scanning. Modern scanners do have a major learning curve when it comes to programming. Complicating that is the Minnesota ARMER system. While it is a very robust system and was well thought out, it is a learning curve in its own right.

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!!
Not new to scanning but very new to the trunk-ed system scanning, I'm back in after about 20 years and everything is new again...lol! There's a lot to get my head around again

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know just "how deep" you will be going with your scanning. If you are also interested in listening to suburban area fire departments, they use conventional channels for tone and voice paging of firefighters. The actual fireground communications take place on the 800 system.

My suggestion to you is to program those sites I previously mentioned, along with the Washington County site, since you are in St. Paul.

Most everyone here started out knowing very little on both scanners and the radio system itself. So don't be shy about asking other questions as they come up. Many folks up there are quite experienced with the radio system and can be very helpful.

rodb457

Premium Subscriber
I plan on learning as much as I have to have fun with it and get past the beginner stage. The last scanner I used before this one just needed a Bearcat scanner freq guide..lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.