Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Just in case any of my fellow Minnesota hobbyists missed this, Uniden will have the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 available in a couple of weeks. I think the big draw for most people of this over the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT is that the P2 will decode APCO P25 Phase II. As some people know, there is NO Phase II on the Minnesota ARMER system currently. I think the real question for someone in the market for a base/mobile scanner is how well the P2 sounds compared to the Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP or the older Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT.

There has been no announcement of a Uniden Bearcat BCD396P2 yet. Time will tell is something like that materializes.

Oriley

Geezz, I should have read this first. I just ordered a BCD996XT from RS for $367 for my brother, I'd imagine this one will cost a bit more?

SCPD

QRT
TDMA

Well since there are no phase 2 talkgroups on ARMER at the present time it's hard to test. I guess save up and when phase 2 starts happening buy the one that most Minnesota listeners report sounds the best. I would consider buying 2 different models for flexibility. TDMA is still a ways off so save up, if your looking at a new scanner then get a phase 2 compatible one anyway. ARMER like most P25 simulcast systems can have tough reception issues, it's the nature of the beast.

JT-112

There's no unencrypted phase II traffic on Starcom21, so don't make the trip...

WRT the new Uniden, they're either showing an amazing amount of cluelessness or they have a rampant disregard for their customers, as they haven't modified the receiver for simulcast/LSM reception. They've know about this issue for, what, 5 years and they've just ignored it.

Yes, I know, some people get lucky and they don't have problems where they live, but many are not lucky and certainly mobile users are always out of luck.

(Before someone blathers on about Minnesota's mobile law - don't bother, save your keystrokes for something actually important)

Also, Phase II is not an inevitability for ARMER. Mobiles, handhelds and infrastructure all need to be upgraded at significant cost, and the gain is slightly reduced audio quality. ARMER is surrounded by rural or even desolate areas with extremely low spectrum usage, so there's really no need to go to Phase II. Heck, AMRER doesn't really touch 700MHz at all, that would be a much more logical next step.

Phase II is more for the east coast and much larger metropolitan areas than the cities.

Voyager

On the redesign, this is largely a 996XT with an upgraded VOCODER and USB programming (or maybe a built-in serial converter?). It might also have an upgraded CPU.

I would not be surprised it it did not include a massive redesign compared to the XT with respect to the base functions. Even the HP-2 does not have the NFM filter they added to the x36 series, as it was based largely on the HP-1. While I don't know, I suspect the 996P2 won't have the NFM filter either (for the same reasons I cited in this paragraph).

When you think about it, it wouldn't be good for Uniden's low-tier digital scanner to outperform it's mid and high tier models, would it?

SCPD

QRT
There's no unencrypted phase II traffic on Starcom21, so don't make the trip...

WRT the new Uniden, they're either showing an amazing amount of cluelessness or they have a rampant disregard for their customers, as they haven't modified the receiver for simulcast/LSM reception. They've know about this issue for, what, 5 years and they've just ignored it.

Yes, I know, some people get lucky and they don't have problems where they live, but many are not lucky and certainly mobile users are always out of luck.

(Before someone blathers on about Minnesota's mobile law - don't bother, save your keystrokes for something actually important)

Also, Phase II is not an inevitability for ARMER. Mobiles, handhelds and infrastructure all need to be upgraded at significant cost, and the gain is slightly reduced audio quality. ARMER is surrounded by rural or even desolate areas with extremely low spectrum usage, so there's really no need to go to Phase II. Heck, AMRER doesn't really touch 700MHz at all, that would be a much more logical next step.

Phase II is more for the east coast and much larger metropolitan areas than the cities.

At some point we will see Phase 2 in the Metro area. 700MHz is not the answer.

shadcall

There's no unencrypted phase II traffic on Starcom21, so don't make the trip..

That's not quite true. According to the database there are some suburban departments using Phase II that are not encrypted. In addition to that the database show a number of fire departments using Phase II that are not encrypted. If you are serious about making a trip I would post in the Illinois forum where you will get accurate information.

JT-112

That's not quite true. According to the database there are some suburban departments using Phase II that are not encrypted. In addition to that the database show a number of fire departments using Phase II that are not encrypted. If you are serious about making a trip I would post in the Illinois forum where you will get accurate information.

It was true when I posted it. It has become untrue in the last 2-3 weeks.

I'm in the area frequently, I listen to it frequently as well. I'm not posting from 3 states away (the way some people tend to).

SCPD

QRT
It was true when I posted it. It has become untrue in the last 2-3 weeks.

I'm in the area frequently, I listen to it frequently as well. I'm not posting from 3 states away (the way some people tend to).

He asked the closest area that would maybe have some Phase 2 traffic. Per the database there is on Starcom-21 and that's the closest one to Minnesota. So why don't you just leave the Minnesota forums if you have nothing constructive to say and go post from 3 states away.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
For my preference on this I think I'd wait till we actually go to phase 2 and then buy a used one cheaper rather than spending the money on the super new thing that we have no use for. For now I'd buy a used phase 1 compatable one and sell that when we go to 2.

chas0039

For my preference on this I think I'd wait till we actually go to phase 2 and then buy a used one cheaper rather than spending the money on the super new thing that we have no use for. For now I'd buy a used phase 1 compatible one and sell that when we go to 2.

The only problem there is that the Uniden BCD325P2 can be had for under $340 while the BCD396XT is just $30 cheaper. Maybe a closeout RS model might make sense, but the reports I have seen on the 325 would certainly justify the small extra cost.

I would agree but for the fact that I just don't see any Phase I scanners less then $300.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Used ones can be had for around $250 on ebay. It is encouraging how the cost of the digital scanners seems to be coming down though.,

Status
Not open for further replies.