RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum

Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Minnesota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 7:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Dakota County Encryption

My apologies for the poor crop, but i figured that I would leave this here... Please be mindful of the Forum rules against posting negative comments regarding the increasing use of encryption due to the prevalence of streaming audio services.
A: No. Drive your hybrid down to the store and get a real computer.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2017, 6:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Looks like they want an encrypted TG like a car-car, admin, tac, etc like other agencies here in the metro have done. I don't think it would be their main dispatch ones. Their right on about streaming of their comms, streaming and monitoring apps are going to kill our hobby. Who knows in a couple of years down the road as radios are replaced with new ones that come with encryption already installed, more enc will start to show up on ARMER. Streaming and more models of scanners available that can receive ARMER, agencies are more concerned and want to implement encryption. It's not time to cry wolf but times are a changing so be prepared for it one day stuff goes silent.
Old 03-10-2017, 8:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just an FYI Eagan PD just got APX6000's and they have been deployed. Not sure if they have encrypted talkgroups in them but I will get my hands on one of them in the coming weeks and find out. (I am a Police Explorer for Eagan.)
Old 03-20-2017, 5:01 PM

I would like to see documentation of all these "incidents" that the law enforcement thinks they need "to hide" due to smartphone rebroadcasting.
Old 03-24-2017, 2:55 AM

I think it was last summer they were chasing someone near Hibbing and after going in the ditch and running they had a pretty good perimeter. After a while one of the guys said, "maybe we should go encrypted in case he's listening" or something like that.

Every once in a while I would hear something but mostly quiet. I don't know, smoke signals?
Sponsored links