RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum

Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Minnesota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 8:59 PM

yup user: scanner pass: time!
just trying to keep the bots out
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2018, 9:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago View Post
yup user: scanner pass: time!
just trying to keep the bots out

Got it thanks- cool site.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I second that...What a cool site!
Old 06-09-2018, 9:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Update- Hennepin County PSAP dispatched law enforcement agencies continue the move to full encryption- at this time most car to car Talkgroups for LE have switched to full encryption. The transition has been accelerated by the County and is expected to be completed ahead of initial plans.
Scott County is expected to start the transition shortly- they expect the switch to all Encrypted LE Talkgroups to take a couple of years. This year they plan to active the encrypted replacement Talkgroups and they will be tied to the unencrypted Talkgroups until all radios are updated then all unencrypted will be shut down.
Dakota County- most likely will be following similar direction- has stated a plan to move to encrypted radios as 1st generation ARMER radios are replaced .
Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is not a positive trend for a number of reasons
Old 06-10-2018, 5:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Unless things have changed at the state level (which is very possible) it was my understanding that the state wouldn't allow main dispatch channels and certain blocks of statewide interop channels to be encrypted? That's a bummer for the recreational listener.
Old 06-10-2018, 7:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The interop channels are clear only or encrypted only by the radio board - as for encrypted law enforcement mains - this has moved through the board without much discussion.
I was more amazed at the ease the purchase of new radios went through many Hennepin County city councils without a question being raised about the need for encryption.
Old 06-11-2018, 8:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

With the blue lives matter mentality and the blind support for the police many have lately it really isn't surprising it went unchallenged.
Old 06-12-2018, 1:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Its a matter or perspective. Setting spike strips up the road from a pursuit and having the car turn off before sucks. The scanner feeds are becoming more of a hindrance to operations; there are many documented examples. Which is probably why elected officials are not challenging the purchase. Additionally, the cost of encryption is much reduced when it is purchased with new radios. With many agencies cycling out 10 year old XTS radios the time is right.

The feeds are doing a great job of selling encryption.
Old 06-15-2018, 2:58 PM

Add Anoka County be Feb-March 2019 timeline. Individual cities that have their own PSAP's (Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, etc) first than countywide PSAP's next and so on. I don't care what anyone says, steaming has and will continue to not help our hobby PERIOD!. Forget spending big bucks on the new Uniden or Whistler that are set to help deal with LSM, I can monitor the R2D2 sound just fine with my first generation PRO-96 so if everything is encrypted no need for that. I will bet you by this time next year, quite a bit of ARMER talkgroups will be encrypted. No more new scanner purchases for me as I am just going to use what I have and if one breaks then well it's not getting replaced.

We should keep a sticky of confirmed agencies actively running encryption and not a rumored list on who will be. Well hopefully Metro Mobility stays in the clear after all so anyone in the Metro that purchases the new Uniden SDS100 can hear them loud and clear. We knew this was coming people as it's much less expensive now since replacement radios are ENC capable right out of the box to implement encryption. New dispatch consoles are now able to do ADP a weak cipher (but never the less privacy), plus the normal flavors of AES of course. It has been said streaming has killed our hobby an that may or may not be the sole reason but it gives the public safety agencies that do go encrypted an officer safety line or they have had this motivation to so from the start.

I don't buy that this would stop corruption and limit transparency in let's say a law enforcement agency. There is no law that states that anyone should have the right to monitor their communication systems. It's like people think driving is a right, nope it's a privilege. If the cops want to cover something up they will without the need of any radio system so it will take some investigative work and lot's of MN Data Practices Act or FOIA requests to uncover any wrong doing. Sure encryption has it's place like for TAC, Car2Car, admin TG's, etc but at least the main dispatch talkgroups are harmless. If calls can't or shouldn't be aired then there is the squad MDC, smart phones or just a plain telephone call to radio. So enjoy what we have now because someday it's going to be like the dinosaurs, extinct.
Old 06-15-2018, 4:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Accurate.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM

I for one do not agree that it's okay for our government to encrypt their activities. Nor do I think it's anything even comparable to someones right to drive.
Old 11-30-2018, 8:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago View Post
forgot to mention my new little thing: http://scan.lex.mn:8001 check it out i am highlighting encrypted calls in the log with red colored font ;-) user scanner pass time!
my avg says your site is infected!
Old 11-30-2018, 8:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs989 View Post
Add Anoka County be Feb-March 2019 timeline. Individual cities that have their own PSAP's (Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, etc) first than countywide PSAP's next and so on. I don't care what anyone says, steaming has and will continue to not help our hobby PERIOD!. Forget spending big bucks on the new Uniden or Whistler that are set to help deal with LSM, I can monitor the R2D2 sound just fine with my first generation PRO-96 so if everything is encrypted no need for that. I will bet you by this time next year, quite a bit of ARMER talkgroups will be encrypted. No more new scanner purchases for me as I am just going to use what I have and if one breaks then well it's not getting replaced.

We should keep a sticky of confirmed agencies actively running encryption and not a rumored list on who will be. Well hopefully Metro Mobility stays in the clear after all so anyone in the Metro that purchases the new Uniden SDS100 can hear them loud and clear. We knew this was coming people as it's much less expensive now since replacement radios are ENC capable right out of the box to implement encryption. New dispatch consoles are now able to do ADP a weak cipher (but never the less privacy), plus the normal flavors of AES of course. It has been said streaming has killed our hobby an that may or may not be the sole reason but it gives the public safety agencies that do go encrypted an officer safety line or they have had this motivation to so from the start.

I don't buy that this would stop corruption and limit transparency in let's say a law enforcement agency. There is no law that states that anyone should have the right to monitor their communication systems. It's like people think driving is a right, nope it's a privilege. If the cops want to cover something up they will without the need of any radio system so it will take some investigative work and lot's of MN Data Practices Act or FOIA requests to uncover any wrong doing. Sure encryption has it's place like for TAC, Car2Car, admin TG's, etc but at least the main dispatch talkgroups are harmless. If calls can't or shouldn't be aired then there is the squad MDC, smart phones or just a plain telephone call to radio. So enjoy what we have now because someday it's going to be like the dinosaurs, extinct.
make's sense to me, i work with the Anoka county radio shop doing the DF'ing and when i heard about the 800 coming i was sad, but then there was so much confusion that i new it would come one day. and your right dispatch left open i think would do more good than enc'd. i ve herd about times where cop's yell for help and someone hearing it came to help both police and medical. i think thatif theres a key to the enc in time some will show up. just my opion .
73's
Old 12-06-2018, 8:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I noticed in the past month or so that the Scott County Jail had been encrypted. I usually kept them locked out anyways as it was fairly active but most of the talk seemed to be deputies calling out cell door numbers that they wanted the control room to unlock, inmate totals, where the diabetic meal trays are and so on, it was boring and took away from things more important to monitor.

Sorry to hear that things are moving that direction. I've been looking at getting a better scanner that deals with simulcast better but now that I saw this I might not waste the money.
Old 12-10-2018, 1:42 AM

Rogers fire just purchased new encrypted radios. How would this work with fire pagers? will only Tac channels be encrypted and the main not encrypted for the pagers?
Old 12-10-2018, 7:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked9372 View Post
Rogers fire just purchased new encrypted radios. How would this work with fire pagers? will only Tac channels be encrypted and the main not encrypted for the pagers?

At this time the big push is for encrypted Law Enforcement channels. Rogers Police Car to Car is encrypted now so if a fire officer wanted to talk to pd on Car to Car they would need to have an encrypted radio.
There are some encrypted STAC and ME Tac channels that fire may use too.