RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum

Minnesota Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Minnesota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 8:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default SDS-100

Just ordered mine from ZipScanners. Itís so very cool that theyíre a locally based company. Once it arrives, I know some trouble spots Iíll be hitting in Saint Paul, Minneapolis, and in Dakota County to test. Iím happy to take requests for other LSM trouble spots in the metro and report back. Iíd also be happy to demo the unit at a local gathering. I havenít been able to attend one yet, as I work Sunday evenings, but if thereís interest Iíd be open to other times. Either way, Iíll keep the forum updated on how it does with ARMER.
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2018, 9:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Awesome, I didn't realize they were available to order yet. I just ordered one from them too. Looks like the estimated ship date is June 11th.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Metro Skywarn #7344
Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 AM

Default SDS-100

SDS-100 production models are arriving to consumers this week.

Also, in case anybody here missed it, Whistler has announced their intent to produce LSM capable scanners, both a portable and a base/mobile version.

Also, SDRplay introduces the RSPduo with dual independent tuners.

There will be some interesting new equipment available this year.

https://forums.radioreference.com/un...pressions.html

https://whistlergroup.com/blogs/news...pable-scanners

https://forums.radioreference.com/so...es-rspduo.html

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdrplay-rele...called-rspduo/
Old 06-05-2018, 3:45 PM

Default SDS-100

Well, that didn't take long!

https://www.ebay.com/i/Uniden-SDS100...vEr&rmvSB=true
Old 06-05-2018, 3:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
Looks like its coming from an eBay retailer and not an individual. If it was from an individual you know the price would be higher.
Vintage:PRO-25,Sony Air-8
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2018, 3:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Can anyone report how the SDS100 performs on the ARMER system?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The short answer is very, very well. I can't say it never garbles or misses a transmission, but so far the testing I've done has yielded very positive results on the Minneapolis CC, Minneapolis N/S, Hennepin East, Ramsey, Dakota, Goodhue, and Rice sites.

I've tested it in the 436hp's "dead zones," including Highway 52 and Cedar Ave in Dakota County, and 50th and France in Edina. It receives nearly perfectly in those places. My first ride with the SDS was great-on and off deafness on the 436 while the SDS was consistently chatty up and down 52 from St. Paul to Zumbrota and back.

My apartment is a strange place evidently. My G5 has struggled a bit to decode on a number of sites, but my XTS500s have never seemed to have an issue. The SDS does well overall, but misses some transmissions and comes late to others. Average RSSI seems to be around -100dbm, fluctuating between -116 and -80, depending on where I am in the apartment.

I seem to be able to pick up 2-3 more sites in the apartment than the 436 can, although side by side the 436 has caught some transmissions on the stronger towers that the SDS has missed. I'm investigating further.

I've heard a few garbled transmissions when the RSSI has been around -45dbm, and seen the digital error count rise up to 45 or so.

I do wonder how attributable the few instances of garbled/missed audio are to RF interference. There's a cell tower at Cretin and Lincoln in St. Paul that deafens both G5 and SDS100, while the XTS is completely unphased.

BTW, this is all with RadioShack 800mhz BNC antenna with the adapter. I ran an all-band antenna mag mounted to the car, and heard much more transmission garbling, and found that it completely lost the signal just like my 436 loves to do. Switching back to the RS antenna inside the car fixed that issue. I tried a Laird Phantom 800 mhz antenna yesterday on the same mag mount, and it performance was comparable to the RS antenna-overall good.

I'm going to keep testing and posting.
Old 06-12-2018, 2:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Excellent info. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2018, 8:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I can add that the SDS100 is working very well on Anoka County simulcast and Hennepin systems so far after first day of use here. On par with Unication G4 side by side. Both using stock antennas. No garbled transmissions thus far.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default ARMER in SW Minnesota

I can hit the Beaver Creek and Kanaranzi - Ellsworth towers and so far I'm very impressed with it's performance. I live in Sioux Falls, SD so it's a stretch reception wise but I'm very happy.
Old 06-14-2018, 9:07 PM

Sounds great on the Duluth Simulcast system as well with stock antenna.