MHP TROOP F and TUPELO LEE county scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Pro-106 will receive P25 Phase I traffic on MSWIN, which is what MHP is now using. It is not capable of P25 Phase II, but this isn't really a problem right now due to the limited use of Phase II on MSWIN.

Lee County is still using their analog SmartZone system, along with a few analog conventional frequencies. However they are planning on joining MSWIN within the next couple of years, and when that happens, they will likely be P25 Phase II from the start. Unless you need to hear MHP right now, I would wait a few months to see if Uniden releases a Phase II scanner. You could also try to find a used GRE PSR-800, which is currently the only scanner that supports Phase II, but unfortunately is no longer in production.

Thank you very much for the info. Well now im looking for a scanner the guy sold the one I was gonna buy so if you know of a good used digital scanner let me know thanks.

bama9999

I have the Pro197, which is the base/mobile version of the Pro106, and it does a super job of picking up MHP, here in Itawamba county. I get New Albany and Starkville MHP all the time, and Greenwood and Batesville MHP most of the time. There is also other digital traffic that you can receive as well as MHP, such as MS Forestry, etc...

As always, Avery gives very good info, especially regarding any possible upcoming releases of any new Uniden scanners, since as he stated, Lee county will probably be phase II.

ok thanks for the great advice . Is there any where close to Pontotoc or tupelo to buy a used digital scanner I know we have the classifieds on here but only trying to find something local so if any one on here has a used digital scanner they would like to sale let me know.

bama9999

I don't know of any local places that sell used scanners, other than maybe a pawn shop. I wish there was a good local radio store that carried new and used scanners, etc... Most of the people that I know that listen to the scanner around here are still using older analog only radios.

10-4 Thanks yes that's what I have is several analog scanners myself just wanting to get into the digital scanners just wanting a used one thanks for everybody's input thanks.

KE5TLF

Doubtful
The T series' sensitivity is pretty lackluster at best.
There isn't a MSWIN site in Lee County and won't be until the LC TRS is converted to MSWIN.(if/when that happens is anyone's guess) Of course the sites in the adjacent counties aren't too far away, but you still want the "hottest" possible receiver, that can pull in as many sites as possible.

Of course we have no way of knowing yet, but if I had to guess if/when Lee County converts fully to MSWIN it will be the Saltillo site only that is converted, since it will be a nice "filler site" up north, and the Tupelo site will be dismantled, or possibly kept around for backup for a while. (Public safety types always like backups and having both systems in their radios would be easy)

The only "future proof" option right now is the PSR800. Though almost certainly what Uniden announces in November will be a new P25 Phase 2 capable model.

The GRE based 106/197/500/600's are great on the 700/800 bands, but obviously not TDMA capable. A side benefit of those would be after it's pretty much rendered useless for MSWIN, you could still easily use it for control channel decoding if nothing else. (they can be very hit and miss on VHF/400Mhz so don't plan on being too happy using it for those bands)

The XT series Unidens are the next best choice, and are the best all around choice for all bands, and could also be easily used for MSWIN CC decoding, but have some major issues with CC decoding on M36 systems.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Doubtful
The T series' sensitivity is pretty lackluster at best.
There isn't a MSWIN site in Lee County and won't be until the LC TRS is converted to MSWIN.(if/when that happens is anyone's guess) Of course the sites in the adjacent counties aren't too far away, but you still want the "hottest" possible receiver, that can pull in as many sites as possible.

Interesting. I knew the T series had some challenges, but I didn't know this was one of them. Are they really that much less sensitive than the XT series?

I believe the OP is in Pontotoc City, so the Thaxton MSWIN site is close by. The current Tupelo site for the Lee County TRS isn't a great distance away either, and it's over relatively flat terrain. Assuming the Tupelo site is converted to MSWIN, it shouldn't take a great antenna setup to be able to receive it.

Of course we have no way of knowing yet, but if I had to guess if/when Lee County converts fully to MSWIN it will be the Saltillo site only that is converted, since it will be a nice "filler site" up north, and the Tupelo site will be dismantled, or possibly kept around for backup for a while. (Public safety types always like backups and having both systems in their radios would be easy)

I'm not doubting you, but why do you suspect this? The last I heard, Lee County was wanting to build more sites, in addition to converting their current sites. If they only converted the Saltillo site, then I imagine portable coverage would be pretty terrible in the downtown Tupelo area, and the southern end of the county.

what about f troop will it pick up that cause they are using mswin now in Pontotoc county where I live.

Yes, although according to KE5TLF the older T series scanners don't have the best sensitivity. I have no experience with them.

KE5TLF

Yes they really are that much less sensitive.
Right now, both on RS 800MHz ducks, outside! in my yard (in Escatawpa)
396T Low on Vancleave and barely picks up Fountainbleau if I hold it just right
396XT Vancleave, Foutainbleau, and Benndale(low but steady) AND Lucedale if I hold it just right.

Inside - 396T nothing. XT Vancleave and FB(barely) only (in all fairness I have a metal roof which likely doesn't help but the comparison should still be valid)

To get the most out of MSWIN you need a good radio and antenna combo that will allow you to reliably receive the most sites possible.

As far as the conversion goes, I'm mainly just going by what is actually happening in Jones County. Conversion of the Saltillo site(along with what's already there) would provide pretty good saturation of the area in general, but you are probably right about in building coverage so yeah both sites may likely be converted taking that into account now. We already know Ridgeland had that very problem so you're probably spot on with that.

Last edited:
i bought a pro-106

Thanks for all the input I bought a pro-106 now I could use some help programing anything I can listen to in Pontotoc, ms the only thing that I know of is MHP . can I just input the frequencies and and start scanning or is it harder than that. I have been scanning for years but I brand new to the digital side of scanning. can I listen to anything on the mswin if I input the frequencies or is it more difficult. thanks for all your help.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If you have the programming cable, drivers etc, and dl the free version of ARC500, I can have you a custom made file ready to load in a day or so. Just tell me which counties/municipalities, and state agencies you want to try to hear. Oh did I mention, FREE???!!!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK so basically ALL of North MS, and the SW TN stuff.... Will do, should have it for you by Monday as thats my day off. :)

KE5TLF

or just do it the easy way
TUNE
Type in CC freq + ENT(er)
See that the CC is actually being received. (Top line "T", signal bars, bottom line of display showing SYS ID, WACN, SITE ID, etc.)
F3 (Stor) (a TG: Wildcard is automatically created as well)
SCAN

F3(Stor) to store TG's as they appear.
After a bit of accumulating things that way download it into whichever programming software you prefer and TAG things and assign them to scanlists as you see fit. Upload, wash, rinse, repeat....

There is no CC rotation under "normal" circumstances on MSWIN sites so all you need is the primary CC as marked in the DB.

The same is likely not the same on M36 systems, such as Lee County, so you'll want whatever primary and alternate CC's are indicated at the very least.

Other than system type, there is little to no difference in programming a digital or analog Motorola TRS.

The above process only really works when actively receiving a CC, but only takes about 2 minutes, so doing it "on the fly" as you travel shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Making some notes, or having access to the DB via a mobile device should make it pretty painless until you get more familiar with things.

question

I have a question to be able to pick up f troop do I need to enter every tower frequencies for each county that f troop covers to be able to pick them up . like Pontotoc has 2 towers listed in and I entered the frequencies and it pick up some traffic but I don't know if I did it the right way. Thanks milf any thing you could get me I would greatly appreciate it and yes all of north ms both analog and digital for them all countys if that is possible. the traffic I did hear last night was clear so I cant wait to find more to listen to. can I listen to the mdot up this way to.

Status
Not open for further replies.