Scanner is dead :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
My pro-106 is well....dead. Let me go back a few years...well back to 2011. I had my scanner with brand new rechargeable batteries in it on my night stand. I woke up in the middle of the night and I was smelling a sulfur smell looked at my scanner and the back case was bulging...bad melted as well as the power port for the scanner. Sent it into radio shack and they repaired it under warranty. Last year around April the day before the tornadoes we got here I tested it in my truck via a car adapter like ive always done..then came inside and plugged it up onto my dc adaper for it...worked just great. Brought it back inside and put it by my tv. Next morning went to plug it into the wall...it didnt want to cut on anymore on dc power. You could hear it try to come on with a slight speaker pop but no display. I put batteries in it...worked just fine. A few weeks ago I was using it and it stopped picking up any frequencies...no squelch for any frequencies and it was in constant scan mode. I tried the weather band...no squelch no signal.. The only audio I can get is from the beep when I press a key. I pulled the back case off and found what looks like a crappy (RF?) board..it looks like its been heated up..like maybe radio shack didnt replace it when they took it in. Point of this post being, is asking if anyone knows someone in the jackson area who could take a look at it and see whats wrong. I dont want to spend a lot of money to repair it and I also dont see a point in getting another one since im saving up for the new BCD436HP. I attached a picture of the RF board. Thanks guys/gals! I feel naked without it :(

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 326

byndhlptom

Scanner dead?

Don't see anything that unusual in pic. What are you seeing that you think implies heat damage?

Usually the power control stuff is on the main pcb, not the RF one.

I would be suspicious of a shorted battery or a charge control circuit problem before looking at the RF.

$.02

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
Ok. I honestly don't know much about electronics. After I took the covers off two pieces of something fell off the circuit board. The reason o though it had heat damage was from the battery contacts being a varnished color vs being a silver color. Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.