old systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

Since I do not live in Mississippi and I only pass through 2 times a year. A lot of counties are on MSWIN. my question is, if a county had their own system and moved over, should I delete their old system or keep scanning them ? Jerry Strahan

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
OK now that brings up this:

Some counties are simulcasting on VHF/UHF and MSWIN.... Some have fully transitioned to the MSWIN.. Counties that had an TRS, have turned them into MSWIN sites, or are doing so,.... For more info, we need to know which counties your needing updates on.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Kind of difficult in advance to know for travelers but my rule of thumb is; if official vehicles, especially newer ones, still have non 700 MHz antennae on them, keep the former frequencies programmed. Mine are in secondary banks normally turned off except for the MHP three low band dispatch channels and statewide commons. Those are in main banks.

For travel states, the rule is; If FCC licenses are still being renewed for other than super system frequencies, program them. (Tennessee Highway Patrol & TEMA just renewed all theirs.)

My trust (I assume most agencies as well) in a huge, gee whiz, big bang, magnificent, talk from one end of the state to the other and beyond, radio system, is not on level with the promises and hype from manufactures and fed/state leaders. Their lives do not depend on them.

For that reason, the agencies that still maintain their own alternate communications systems will most certainly press those frequencies into service again when the big bang blows. Be prepared in advance.

Another of my scanning oddities is to program super system frequencies as conventional in separate banks, often by travel counties. If that’s not enough, a 700 MHz input search range is included in main bank(s) in an effort not to miss anything happening in my immediate vicinity. This is also very useful for event scanning.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Jones is now MSWIN fully, converted one site of the old TRS, offlined others. SO is clear, but all other LEA's are encrypted. Rankin fully converted its TRS into an MSWIN simulcast site. So far everyone is clear. Smith is simulcasting the SO (also Raleigh PD) on MSWIN, Fire and DPW's are still conventional. The Jones Moto TRS is gone, the Rankin Moto TRS is gone.

cajunjerry

Thanks both of you. Just trying to get the best listening on my trip to Florida. We have lost the ability to monitor some systems, but with uniden and whistler, we are making a comeback.

cajunjerry

Milf sorry but I couldn't find your post on Vicksburg again. Are you saying that they will go to mswin.system or stay with their own? I am home from my trip but plan to go again in October? I also bought a new scanner the bcd996p2

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Milf sorry but I couldn't find your post on Vicksburg again. Are you saying that they will go to mswin.system or stay with their own? I am home from my trip but plan to go again in October? I also bought a new scanner the bcd996p2

The entire Warren County system is about to upgrade to become an MSWIN site, like Forrest, Rankin, Lee etc have done.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Until the transition is completed you should put it in your pattern. They hope to have it done by the end of this year/first of next. But there could be delays. Once it is transitioned the freqs should be the same, but it will be an MSWIN site, and have an MSWIN SysID and site numbering. Warren County/Vicksburg will also have an whole new set of TG's once they flip over. With all the other sites in the area, they may only convert the actual City of Vicksburg site, and offline the Warren County sites. We will have more info in the coming months.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
ALL Hinds Public Safety is going MSWIN. JPD, JFD, SO, EOC, AMR will have access though they also have a new 3 site DMR conventional being installed now. The Hinds TRS is being converted to an MSWIN simulcast. Licenses should be popping out soon. Only JDPW and JATRAN will be unsure as they use the new Jackson P25 Harris system. Dumbest move City of Jackson City Council ever approved that was. It is pointless and they should have just converted it over into the Hinds TRS since its going MSWIN anyway LOL.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes for primary ops they will be on an 3 site DMR conventional system. They as pretty much all EMS in the state will have full access to MSWIN MED COM, and possibly even local County/City TG's for interop. And they also will simulcast dispatch for Hinds on the MSWIN since they already have Hinds TRS radios, and TG's, which will be transferred to MSWIN when the flip happens.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes AMR will have main ops on the new 3 site DMR system, but have full access to MSWIN MED COM TG's.. As well as access to the Hinds TG's since they already are on the Hinds TRS and the TG's will be flipped over when Hinds switches. I believe they will still be simulcasting like they do now on the conventional and TRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.