MBI Traffic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the following MBI Frequeny, including tone, set-up and get a lot of traffic. A large percent appears to be Traffic Stops - 10 28 and 29 but they also handle domestic and other type calls. I have identified some as being in George County Some out of Baldwin County Alabama and others seem to be out of Harrision County.

Shouldn't the Tone setting stop the Alabama traffic at least?

Radio Reference.com
155.19000 KA5810 RM 123.0 PL MBI Repeater Net FM

ARC250 listing
Frequency, Tag, trunk, delay, record, beep, Tone, L/O, Attenuate, Mode, Step
155.1900, MBI Repeater, Off, 2, On, Off, 123.0, Off, Off, FM, 5.0

Scanner: BC796D

Thanks
hm

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Most MBI is over other freqs.... or on thier NextHells, at least untill the new MS State TRS is set up..... Most of the traffic on .1900 seems to be from ducting....

nexus

I occasionally hear traffic on the frequency used by MBI but its not very active for me here in the biloxi area. Mustang, just because you put in the tone used by MBI doesn't mean other agencies in other areas won't be using the same tone.

There was a fire department on the coast that was on the same frequency AND PL tone as a public works department 4 cities away, and they interfered all of the time. Finally the fire department got a new fcc license and changed frequencies. Like Milf said, you might be picking up another agency through ducting.

Ducting is an atmospheric condition by which cold air and warm air come in contact with eachother, trapping VHF/UHF RF energy and causes that energy to sort of SURF along the pathway of that ducting. Usually the ducting is only a few hundred feet off the ground and the signals can travel several hundred miles away. One day you could be listening to distant stations in Texas or North Carolina or Georgia as if they were down the road. These conditions are best at dawn or dusk, as ground and air tempatures begin to change.

hft

Same story in the Hattiesburg area, I hear the Alabama departments on the MBN
frequency much more than I hear any MBN traffic. I assume that they are using their
cell phones or some other frequencies for their primary communications
hft

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
According to Lt. Wilson, MBI- Jackson HQ: MBI primarily runs ops tthrough iether local nets, Nextel, or co shares MBN's stuff when not using the simplex MBI freq at each MHP substation. FUTURE NOTE! On the upcomming 700 TRS, ALL MBI, MBN ops will be full time digital and encrypted except for local interop.

Last edited by a moderator:

danw5211

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, another system to monito. And No One can talk to them except on interop. IF they have interop. I guess Katrina didn't get the message across.

Folks in Perry County and Pearl River counties seem to thave the best systems right now.
VHF High band Repeaters. I can hear Pearl River's North Tower in Laurel at night.

And I've seen a Perry County fireman talk to another fireman from Hwy 98 and Old Hwy 11, near the MHP tower. On a 5 watt handheld. Sure beat the 4 watt MTX8000 I had on.

You mentioned ducting, above. Lamar County seems to have an awful problem with the 'ducting' on their SMR site. Some nights you can hear the 'skip' better than you can hear the locals. You would think that Motorola or someone could design a squelch that would defeat the other agancies. I thought that was what the 90 mile rule was about. To keep 'skip' out of the other systems.

Mobile County,AL and Lafayette, LA eat Lamar County's SMR up at times.

My brother works for the MBI and my father and my other brother works as State Troopers for the MHP. I have been in MHP Dispatch Substation in Meridian, MS and please be adv that MHP nor MBI handle domestic calls. unless their assisting their local sheriff's or police department.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Correct none of the State LEA's MHP, MBN, MBI, work domestic cases unless they have been called in to assist, or the State Crime Lab (MBI's playground) is needed... The only other time that a State Agency... MHP , is asked for help on local stuff like that is if the helo or the SWAT/ERT is needed. I am moving back to MS guys, so can get local info updated personally on some stuff, but still am asking for all the help that can be offered. Be safe out there guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.