RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Missouri Radio Discussion Forum

Missouri Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Missouri.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 3:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Unhappy Reception

your not the only one....most of us on here have had reception problems with this system..."simulcast" is the issue...no matter what scanner you have it's the same thing...when I'm mobile it's better....or when it rains.....hope it get's better....but I'm not holding my breath.....to many towers interfering with the signal ....

PRO-106
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My reception at home is great in most of the house, When i am mobile I have a lot of problems with my 396xt

33201 ACO Tac 1 Heard today
Old 12-21-2011, 8:33 AM

In most places around town, with the exception of 64th and I-29, my Pro-197 handles the KCMO system quite well on a mobile setup. I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a 396XT. It will be interesting to see how that one handles the simulcast distortion compared to the GRE/RS models. Apparently the 396 has some setting or feature that allows a user to "tweak" the P25 simulcast settings for better clarity. It will be fun to mess with it over the weekend!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

let us know if that's the case .on the 396x...tweaking would be nice on this system....I might wait and see how yours work before I pull the trigger on the same radio...some one that is a friend of a Radio Tech at KCMO PD....said they are still tweaking there system....

Last edited by KC0CSE; 12-21-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Old 12-21-2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0CSE View Post
let us know if that's the case .on the 396x...tweaking would be nice on this system....I might wait and see how yours work before I pull the trigger on the same radio...some one that is a friend of a Radio Tech at KCMO PD....said they are still tweaking there system....
Will do. I wonder if KC will "recycle" the EDACS frequencies to P25 once everyone is switched over and the old system goes bye-bye? Perhaps that would improve reception in certain areas...
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2011, 7:50 AM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Yes, EDACS will eventually be shut down.

The Plaza site will be the first to go, if not already down.

Some of the EDACS freqs have been rolled into the Fire "Cx" channels for fire ground use.

hh
Old 12-22-2011, 8:15 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

so I'm confused ...when EDAC'S shut's down that will improve the reception of the multicast system?...what does that have to do with the reception?...on the P-25?.....so is that what is responsible for garbled audio..? at time's?...
Old 12-22-2011, 8:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The EDACS system has nothing to do with the P25 system.
There is no way it can affect the audio. The only way to get decent audio from a simulcast P25 system is to
1. be close enought to one of the towers that you don't get the signal from any other towers.
2. use a real radio. The receivers in scanners are cheap consumer grade junk and none of the current ones can properly receive simulcast P25 systems.
3. Be far enough away and in the right direction that you can use a directionall antenna to only recveive one tower.
Old 12-22-2011, 9:01 AM

HH and nd5y, thank you both for your input! Looks like this is something we'll all have to unfortunately just deal with unless the scanner manufacturers develop a firmware revision that corrects the simulcast reception issues (not holding my breath on that btw). It was REALLY bad in the South Downtown area last night.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPD730 View Post
In most places around town, with the exception of 64th and I-29, my Pro-197 handles the KCMO system quite well on a mobile setup. I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered a 396XT. It will be interesting to see how that one handles the simulcast distortion compared to the GRE/RS models. Apparently the 396 has some setting or feature that allows a user to "tweak" the P25 simulcast settings for better clarity. It will be fun to mess with it over the weekend!
I am getting mixed results on my Grecom PSR-600 mobile. What type of mobile antenna are you using?

In regards to tweaking, I have tried various settings, but now I'm wondering how many of my tweaks were offset by their tweaks!
Old 12-22-2011, 6:15 PM
Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Talking

I found that having the right signal input to the scanner results in fine audio being decoded from a simulcast signal.

if it is too strong, it is like pouring water into a funnel it spills over the side cause it cannot flow out the bottom fast enough.

if it is too weak, it is like having a candlelight when you should have sunlight.

it is a fine balancing act to get the right signal and have the radio decode the signal properly.

and while a real radio does work better, they too have the same issues, just not as great.

a lot of it stems from our radio front ends being broad as a big barn door, and the real radio having a closet door for a entry to the P25 decoder. the wider the door the more crap comes in.

if you get the front end narrowed up properly it will work just fine.
and it helps of you dedicate a radio to only the system you want to hear. and put a band pass filter in the front end just for that systems range and ignore the rest.

while we as consumers don't always have this ability, hence we have to play the yagi or use a indoor antenna where possible to find the sweet spot for our reception.

I do think with the right DSP code in the consumer scanner we could do a bit better.

At the TV station I had a 996xt on a outdoor antenna (discone) with a stridesberg 8 way multi-coupler to feed 8 scanners.
We had about 75 ft of 7/8 coax feeding this set up.
It would have full signal bars at the radio and not lock on to the control channel.
I tried external pads and the electronic ATT in the radio still no good receive at all.

Then on a lark I tried a old indian trick, had an identical radio with the same program loaded
and a paper clip in the back for an antenna well Like WOW! .... We had half signal bars and the best reception ever.

It goes to show, you don't need full signal to hear the stuff.

It is a fine balancing act to get it to come in good, it is not a one size fits all solution.

Experiment! I say .........

HH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPD730 View Post
HH and nd5y, thank you both for your input! Looks like this is something we'll all have to unfortunately just deal with unless the scanner manufacturers develop a firmware revision that corrects the simulcast reception issues (not holding my breath on that btw). It was REALLY bad in the South Downtown area last night.
Old 12-22-2011, 6:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Dsp code?

Is it possible to put a DSP code in the 106?...if we knew it of course... Well I just tried the "paper clip" trick....still getting full bars...wow I must be close to the tower ....but take it out with no antenna and no "T" so Im somewhere in between....not sure what to do now..

Last edited by KC0CSE; 12-22-2011 at 6:48 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 7:50 PM

On some really clear nights I can pick up the MARRS System pretty well up here in Clinton County... I've heard with the stock antenna, 3 bars and it was sounding great!! I have even heard the JOCO KS system really clear surprisingly, it's been once though. I just use the stock antenna on the 396XT, and hear quite a bit. Every so often I change out the 996T's antenna and put it on the 396XT and it worked sometimes...

Scanners Include: Uniden BCD996T & Uniden BCD396XT
Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have no luck with JoCo here by liberty, Kansas State system is hit or miss, What Moswin site do you hear in Clinton co?

With the KC system at my house unless i have 5 full bars it doesn't come in well. Its funny how it changes from place to place and different scanners
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0CSE View Post
Is it possible to put a DSP code in the 106?...if we knew it of course...
The DSP code is actually a firmware update that can be obtained through the radio shack website. There are 2 types of firmware updates for the 106/197 models...CPU and DSP. Go here: RadioShack® PRO-106 39,000-Channel Digital Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com. Click on the product support tab and follow the download/installation instructions. They only release DSP updates every so often. CPU's are a bit more frequent.
Sponsored links

Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post
I have no luck with JoCo here by liberty, Kansas State system is hit or miss, What Moswin site do you hear in Clinton co?

With the KC system at my house unless i have 5 full bars it doesn't come in well. Its funny how it changes from place to place and different scanners
I don't hear a MOSWIN Site, waiting til they come online. I do search here and there for them, but no CC Buzz or anything... you guys picking them up in the KC Area by any chance??

Old 12-23-2011, 12:18 AM

What software will I need to program Kansas City into my 396 and my 996?
http://www.indepmo.com
Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Freescann Works great for me and its free

Scannerowner sorry for some reason when you said MARRS I saw MOSWIN lol.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbigcount View Post

Scannerowner sorry for some reason when you said MARRS I saw MOSWIN lol.
No biggie, I saw you posted in MOSWIN as well, good luck with the site close to your farm... I'm not sure which site I pick up with MARRS...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkpair View Post
In looking over the database, I noticed Clay county has an application in to add a repeater on their main frequency.
Kearney police has an application to build a new repeater at hwy 92 & I-35, but not reusing their existing frequency. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to move away from the 155.73.
Platte county is in the order/purchase process to join the KCMO P25 system. Plan a 6-12 month implementation time.

Clay county has opted to go narrow band and won't join the regional system.

Tags