RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Missouri Radio Discussion Forum

Missouri Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Missouri.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So lets say you lived in Kirksville. Would you be able to hear Troop A talkgroups?
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0rpj View Post
are the radio's assigned by subsets? Ie. radio 10100001 is DNR Ranger 18, 1010002 is ranger 19 and 10200001 is trooper 1 from troop c?
Good question as we could at least use that and have a general idea of the users if they are assigned like that. I've not tried mapping any RID's on MOSWIN yet simply because there are hardly any users on the towers I can get. Today I only saw talkgroup 1. It was two techs doing some testing but I did not even look at the RID's. They were coming in over the Imperial tower.
Oh yeah, I used the Pro-96 and the table you made to hear those conversations! My 996XT was also running with Proscan and it logged the chatter but I had its volume down.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0fmg View Post
So lets say you lived in Kirksville. Would you be able to hear Troop A talkgroups?
You will only hear them if a radio on the Troop A talkgroup is affiliated with one of the sites you yourself can actually get a signal from. In your example, you may hear some Troop A traffic but only if a Troop A user is in your area and then they will most likely come up on the TG called the travel talkgroup for Troop A.
You don't want a trooper in Troop A keying up every repeater across the entire state. Each radio will affiliate with the strongest site it can hear unless it is denied association with that site. That info is broadcast by the control channel so the system knows what repeater(s) to key up to reach the users that may be out of their home area.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok I see what you're saying. I'm sorry I'm still fairly new to trunking. I'm getting Pro-197 or the Grecom version of that the PSR-600? I believe. On my analog conventional radio I can hear 3 control channels buzzing away with data. So if I programmed all the frequencies from those sites would I hear the traffic going over all 3 of the sites? Sorry if I'm bugging anyone I'm just new to this still.
Old 02-07-2013, 2:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Ok I see what you're saying. I'm sorry I'm still fairly new to trunking. I'm getting Pro-197 or the Grecom version of that the PSR-600? I believe. On my analog conventional radio I can hear 3 control channels buzzing away with data. So if I programmed all the frequencies from those sites would I hear the traffic going over all 3 of the sites? Sorry if I'm bugging anyone I'm just new to this still.
No problem, we were all new at one time and I am still learning after about 40 years of scanning!

If the three control channels are actually control channels (match up with the frequency lists under the MOSWIN sites near you), then yes, you can put them in and catch the traffic from all three sites.
There are also control channel decoding programs like Unitrunker and Pro96com that will work with the models you listed. Those are a lot of fun watching what is going on with a site plus they will show you all the site activity in realtime including the radio ID's and talkgroups as they use the system. You can learn a lot about a site or system using either of those applications.

For the models you listed, I would put each control channel into a separate bank or whatever GRE calls them.
I'm not positive but I think the GRE model you listed will only scan the strongest of the sites if you place all three control channels into the same bank. I think you can link the talkgroups to all three banks though so you don't need to use space by duplicating the talkgroup info.
There are plenty of people on here that will be glad to help you out as you have questions. Today's digital trunked systems and the digital scanners are a whole new thing. If you have been scanning with a regular scanner for years, a digital scanner may throw you for a loop for a while until you get the hang of it. Programming software does make programming those models way easier than by hand but I've always agreed with many others that one should learn how to program by hand as you may not always have a computer available.
I don't think there is any free programming software for the GRE models or Radio Shack clones. Plus to use software to download directly from this site, you must be a premium member which you are already so that part is covered!
When you get the new radio and have questions, post them in the appropriate Radio Shack or GRE forum for general programming or use type questions, if it is about a particular system such as MOSWIN, then you may get a better response by posting your question in the state forum that the system is in.

You might pull a few hairs out learning the new digital scanner but in the end, it's worth it!
Sponsored links
Old 02-07-2013, 3:14 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I appreciate the information and the continued support in learning this system. This will be a learning experience for us here in MO in the years to come to know this system and have it logged in the RR database. As for the control channels I was hearing I did pull from what is on the database. I'm located in central Pettis County and I can here Pipertown-154.7325 Aullville 170.600 High Point 169.675 Odessa 169.6625. It's a toss up between Pipertown and Odessa being the strongest, as far as signal strength goes! I am just waiting on my tax return which is expected to be here in the next 24 hours so I can get my hands on one of these digital gems. I will be back on here soon discussing my findings and experiences like a kid opening a present on Christmas! Thanks again folks!
Old 02-09-2013, 3:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Pettis County Ambulance District on MOSWIN

Currently in Pettis County, EMS services are contracted out through a American Paramedical Services Inc. In April 2012 voters passed a half cent sales tax that created the Pettis County Ambulance District. There are talks that the PCAD will go to MOSWIN whenever they get up and running which could be late 2013 or 2014. Also there are talks of Pettis County Sheriff using a talk group for long distance prisoner transfers which would be very useful. None of this is confirmed but I do know PCAD was going to open bids and ideas up for a Communications system.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default radio shack tables

We've updated the tables spreadsheet with new sites. If your using a radio shack scanner that needs tables this form will be handy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&output=html
Old 02-09-2013, 9:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0rpj View Post
We've updated the tables spreadsheet with new sites. If your using a radio shack scanner that needs tables this form will be handy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&output=html
Good Job!
And if I'm reading the table correctly, Only lines 4,5 and 7 are known to be needed so far correct?
That is good news for those with the limited table size like the Pro-96 and 2096. It has room for 6 lines of custom table entries so there is still room to spare if a site does pop up that needs more lines.
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Currently in Pettis County, EMS services are contracted out through a American Paramedical Services Inc. In April 2012 voters passed a half cent sales tax that created the Pettis County Ambulance District. There are talks that the PCAD will go to MOSWIN whenever they get up and running which could be late 2013 or 2014. Also there are talks of Pettis County Sheriff using a talk group for long distance prisoner transfers which would be very useful. None of this is confirmed but I do know PCAD was going to open bids and ideas up for a Communications system.
I would imagine the TG for prisoner transfers long distances would be on Pettis County Travel, which would be 29702, but I could be wrong! I have a feeling more and more agencies will go to MOSWIN.

Scanners Include: Uniden BCD996T & Uniden BCD396XT
Old 02-09-2013, 6:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scannerowner View Post
I would imagine the TG for prisoner transfers long distances would be on Pettis County Travel, which would be 29702, but I could be wrong! I have a feeling more and more agencies will go to MOSWIN.
The idea has been thrown around quite a bit already. It makes economical sense because if something happened to one of the sites it would be on the state's dime not the municipality or county.

I have a question about these tables. I've been able to understand all the basics of trunking just these tables seem a bit tough to comprehend. Is there a resource here on RR that explains them in further detail?
Old 02-09-2013, 6:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Good evening from St Francois,

I received this off the Lawrenceton tower the following group ID # 68. The radio traffic sound like a PD or SO. unit calling Poplar Bluff. It was too quick to confirm the Id Last night.

I will continue monitor MOSWIN off the Lawrenceton tower since is the nearest to St Francois county.

David F AC0RV
Skywarn # M187201
Old 02-09-2013, 6:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

for the tables question you can always google "radio shack trunking tables" but more or less in a nutshell, some radio shack scanners wont properly track VHF/UHF trunking systems without a table to tell the scanner what freqency to track to when the control channel assigns a voice channel. the tables we posted allow those scanners to know what voice frequency to go to.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I couldn't wait so I got the Pro-197 from the local Shack. I programmed MOSWIN as p25 Auto and left the tables default. I haven't heard anything. Am I not doing it right? I did put in the site CC's I could hear along with their assigned frequencies.
Old 02-13-2013, 1:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I couldn't wait so I got the Pro-197 from the local Shack. I programmed MOSWIN as p25 Auto and left the tables default. I haven't heard anything. Am I not doing it right? I did put in the site CC's I could hear along with their assigned frequencies.
As the 197 is scanning the MOSWIN site you put in, do you see a upper case T flashing in the upper left corner of the display?
That indicates it is getting a signal from the control channel.
If you see the T blinking, then there is likely no traffic on the system.
It's been two days now since I've heard a peep from two of the sites I can get. I even log them so I can tell if anyone talked while I was at work but no new log entries.
There is not a lot of activity on MOSWIN sites yet but you will hear some testing every so often if nothing else. It will pickup with time as users join the system.
It was stated the the highway patrol may not even start using the system until sometime in 2014!
I bet it will be sooner though but only they know.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2013, 1:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I see! Well thank you for the heads up and yes the T is blinking so now its the waiting game! I can do that with this scanner. It's got all kinds of bells and whistles!
Old 02-15-2013, 2:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I just got a Pro 197 and am trying to learn trunking programming... so far for MOSWIN... my question is i know i need to put in the control freq (red) and alternate (blue), do i also need to put in the frequencies in black print also for each system?... I've programmed lots of conventional radios and scanners, but this is my first work with learning the new systems going in...
Old 02-15-2013, 6:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

From my experience so far program it as p25 auto and yes put the frequencies in black in as well. As far I know you don't have to put them in a certain order. I heard technicians talking about a low band simulcast test but I never heard anything after that. Also leave it on wildcard. There is also a link to this page to program custom tables for the sites you can hear. I'd recommend putting those in as well.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Encryption on Interop talkgroup 10311 today

I heard two users talking today on the Imperial tower.
They were on one of the Interop talkgroups. TG 10311.

They went to encrypted mode as soon as they established comms with each other. Not sure they were not just radio techs on the system and maybe discussing system info not meant to be heard by everyone but I found it interesting that they were using secure mode on an Interop talkgroup. Kind of defeats the purpose of an interop talkgroup I think!
Unless that's the plan, establish comms and then switch to secure mode if all the users needing to communicate have radios capable of secure mode.
Right now they are talking again but on the Weldon Spring tower and only one user is secure, the other is in the clear.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok guys and gals I am getting a hit on 20905 Which is near the DNR Park Rangers set of talk groups. The RIDs I have gotten thus far is i10104230 and i14222.

Which is off the Lawrence tower.

Also I am reading Troop E Bluff and Bluff and surround troop E areas excellent thus far.

I am running session on the PRO96COMM log as I am typing and will keeping going until I am wake in the morning to check it then.

David F AC0RV
Skywarn # M187201
Closed Thread

Tags
moswin, sticky