moving to Barry county form dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmxpro822

hey guys any interesting stuff to listen to.. i have a pro197 that will pick up all the pubilc safety right?

sphipps

That's only about 40 miles from me. What area are you moving to... up around Monett, Cassville, or down around the lake?

Your PRO-197 will do a fine job all around that area. Most everything in the county is still on conventional freqs. MOSWIN is starting to make a good presence in that area with active testing going on. The radioreference database freqs supplied here are accurate for that area.

There's quite a few ham operators around the Monett / Aurora area and they have a club (Ozark Amateur Radio Society or OARS) with regular meetings. They could probably give you some good specific info on monitoring that area.

You might be able to hear Springfield's trunking system down that way... especially with a rooftop antenna. That entire area considers Springfield to be the "big" local city. Springfield is still using Motorola analog trunking. It's a very nice system with lots of activity and will keep you well entertained. There's a great feed of it online if you want to take a listen.

You'll enjoy Barry county. You're less than an hour from Springfield and basically at the back door of Table Rock Lake. My company does lots of business down that way.

Last edited:

bmxpro822

im moveing to Monett.. Do you no what troop there and do you no any gov stuff like fbl dea thanks for the help.

sphipps

The MSHP that covers that area is Troop D based out of Springfield. I have heard little HP traffic around extreme SW Missouri over the years and many of the HP freqs listed in the database seem to be really old. One of the main purposes of MOSWIN is to enhance HP communications... so once it gets going hopefully we'll start hearing something. It's not suppose to be encrypted... at least for now. It might already be going in Barry County... I'm not sure. I know MOSWIN hasn't really progressed here around Joplin / Jasper County.

I don't listen to much FBI or DEA... so really have no idea what's out there. The Springfield system has talkgroups for local and county DEA stuff.

If you'll be moving up around Monett then you should be able to monitor Springfield's system without too much trouble. I usually start receiving Springfield around Mt. Vernon... about 25 miles due west of town... with my handheld scanners in the car. Not sure if you'll need a rooftop antenna down in Monett or not.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
DFW Withdrawal

im moveing to Monett.. Do you no what troop there and do you no any gov stuff like fbl dea thanks for the help.

Well, sorry to see you leaving DFW. Hope the scanning is interesting. But, I don't know if your area will come close to the traffic in Dallas.

When I moved to Waco from the Richmond/Rosenberg area, I found myself missing Houston's active scanning.

Springfield is pretty interesting to monitor, particularly the frequencies associated with I44.

DEA in Dallas is a favorite of mine. Recently, I heard they migrated to P25 there.

The Missouri Hypo's have used low band for quite some time. They also run a great deal of VASCAR on IH44. Well, the used to, but it has been about one year since I drove through the area.

But, like the gentleman said, they are working on a large P25 system there.

Staying in Texas.

kinsey6

Someone else here too - in Joplin

I just ran across this post and thought I'd let you guys know someone else is here who's just getting in to scanning. Well, I have a Pro-34, Pro-96, Pro-97 (and just got a Uniden BCD396XT), but I've never really had them programmed right and they haven't picked up anything really interesting, so I still consider myself a beginner. I hear a lot of the local Jasper/Newton county Sheriff traffic and cows that have gotten out at night, and can pick up Neosho and sometimes Carthage on a good handheld antenna (not the stock type -- the type that's longer and more flexible thant the stock antenna and has a long wire wrapped around it), but what I really want to do now is get these things programmed right and put up a decent outdoor antenna and HOPE it'll pick up Springfield. Joplin PD & FD uses the newer digital system and that's why I got the BCD396XT, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to program it yet. I've been researching antennas and am working on that project at the moment. So any advice on a good omnidirectional antenna would be appreciated. I'm going to mount it 10-15 feet above the roof line so it'll be about 28 to 33 feet up. If it doesn't pick up Springfield then my next idea is to put up a directional yagi and point it at Spfd and hope that'll work. I've heard opinions from others saying I should be able to get it and others who say to give it up it's too far away (I'm in Joplin). I also need to get a copy of Scancat software too so I can program my Pro-96 and Pro-97. Anyway I just thought I'd let you all know there's someone else out here who's into scanning, albeit a definite beginner.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Infrequent Route: I44

I just ran across this post and thought I'd let you guys know someone else is here who's just getting in to scanning. Well, I have a Pro-34, Pro-96, Pro-97 (and just got a Uniden BCD396XT), but I've never really had them programmed right and they haven't picked up anything really interesting, so I still consider myself a beginner. I hear a lot of the local Jasper/Newton county Sheriff traffic and cows that have gotten out at night, and can pick up Neosho and sometimes Carthage on a good handheld antenna (not the stock type -- the type that's longer and more flexible thant the stock antenna and has a long wire wrapped around it), but what I really want to do now is get these things programmed right and put up a decent outdoor antenna and HOPE it'll pick up Springfield. Joplin PD & FD uses the newer digital system and that's why I got the BCD396XT, but I just got it and haven't had a chance to program it yet. I've been researching antennas and am working on that project at the moment. So any advice on a good omnidirectional antenna would be appreciated. I'm going to mount it 10-15 feet above the roof line so it'll be about 28 to 33 feet up. If it doesn't pick up Springfield then my next idea is to put up a directional yagi and point it at Spfd and hope that'll work. I've heard opinions from others saying I should be able to get it and others who say to give it up it's too far away (I'm in Joplin). I also need to get a copy of Scancat software too so I can program my Pro-96 and Pro-97. Anyway I just thought I'd let you all know there's someone else out here who's into scanning, albeit a definite beginner.

I cannot recall if I had any luck intercepting Joplin's P25 system on my GRE PSR 500. According to the RR DB, there have been no changes made since roughly 2012.

I've not read any feedback about monitoring this system. I used to have difficulty hearing them since I believe they were once using EDACS/ProVoice, but I could be wrong.

Now, it shows Phase I P25.

Surprisingly, there are not as many "E" talk groups as I expected. I would love to hear from someone in Joplin who has monitored this system on either a Uniden or GRE digital scanner.

You might need to load MOSWIN to hear Newton So since they have a TG there. It might be a patch, but I am rather unfamiliar with that area.

JRsTheMAN

Welcome to the area bmx, I live near Jenkin's and wife works in Monett at JHA. Monett PD and Fire all are staying with their VHF system. Barry County is soon to go to APCO25. Highway patrol is a mixture between the new APCO 25 and their low band. Weather nets during severe weather is on 146.970. Give me a hollar if you need more advice.

sphipps

Surprisingly, there are not as many "E" talk groups as I expected. I would love to hear from someone in Joplin who has monitored this system on either a Uniden or GRE digital scanner.

I'm in Joplin and have been monitoring it since 2010 using a PRO-106 up until a few months ago when I sold it (bad move)... and currently monitoring it via a RTL-SDR dongle setup. Here's what I've observed. I may be wrong about something, so feel free to correct me. I'd like to learn more about this too.

I think Joplin has been P25 ever since their changeover from Motorola Type II Smartnet around 2008.

All Joplin police dispatch traffic is encrypted. I have not heard police dispatch in years. Still lots of good listening on this system less police and worth buying a digital scanner to monitor.

Most Joplin police patrol traffic is encrypted, but now and then you'll hear a patrol unit in the clear announcing something routine... like a car stop or status check. All 28/29 traffic is encrypted.

Most Joplin fire traffic is clear.

All medic, hospital, college, and mutual aid traffic is clear.

I am hearing less and less of Jasper County Sheriff on VHF... especially units on the west side of the county. I heard the west side was switching over to the Joplin system... but haven't heard or seen an id for them yet. I'm not sure what's going on.

I don't think MOSWIN has progressed to Joplin. I believe extreme SW MO was suppose to be one of the last areas to be implemented.

I've worked up a fairly elaborate spreadsheet that covers Springfield, Joplin, Tulsa, SW MO, SE KS including KSICS out of West Mineral, NE OK including OKWIN out of Miami and Vinita, and NW AR including AWIN out of Fayetteville. It includes all of the conventional and trunked frequencies along with talkgroups. It is how I had my PRO-106 programmed when I owned it. If anyone would like a copy, feel free to PM me with your email address.

Last edited:

sphipps

I've heard opinions from others saying I should be able to get it and others who say to give it up it's too far away (I'm in Joplin).

Good hearing from you and welcome!

I say give it a go and see if it works. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. I think the directional yagi with a preamp would be your best bet and I'd go that route first. It might still be a long shot... but having that kind of setup would be well worth owning regardless.

Joplin has an amateur radio club that meets twice a month downtown. Might be worth going and asking around. There's some good knowledgeable folks there. They also hold an awesome hamfest in August.

I'm mostly a Radio Shack / GRE fan and if you had one of their digital models I could get you going immediately. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the Uniden digitals... but will probably be buying a 396xt or HomePatrol within the next few months.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
RR DB Joplin, MO

I'm in Joplin and have been monitoring it since 2010 using a PRO-106 up until a few months ago when I sold it (bad move)... and currently monitoring it via a RTL-SDR dongle setup. Here's what I've observed. I may be wrong about something, so feel free to correct me. I'd like to learn more about this too.

I think Joplin has been P25 ever since their changeover from Motorola Type II Smartnet around 2008.

All Joplin police dispatch traffic is encrypted. I have not heard police dispatch in years. Still lots of good listening on this system less police and worth buying a digital scanner to monitor.

Most Joplin police patrol traffic is encrypted, but now and then you'll hear a patrol unit in the clear announcing something routine... like a car stop or status check. All 28/29 traffic is encrypted.

Most Joplin fire traffic is clear.

All medic, hospital, college, and mutual aid traffic is clear.

I am hearing less and less of Jasper County Sheriff on VHF... especially units on the west side of the county. I heard the west side was switching over to the Joplin system... but haven't heard or seen an id for them yet. I'm not sure what's going on.

I don't think MOSWIN has progressed to Joplin. I believe extreme SW MO was suppose to be one of the last areas to be implemented.

I've worked up a fairly elaborate spreadsheet that covers Springfield, Joplin, Tulsa, SW MO, SE KS including KSICS out of West Mineral, NE OK including OKWIN out of Miami and Vinita, and NW AR including AWIN out of Fayetteville. It includes all of the conventional and trunked frequencies along with talkgroups. It is how I had my PRO-106 programmed when I owned it. If anyone would like a copy, feel free to PM me with your email address.

Yes, this is completely consistent with what I've experienced driving through on IH44, hardly any clear traffic for Joplin PD. There are a lot of "D" modes listed for Joplin PD. Now, it looks like SWAT, Drug Units, & C2C are listed as "D" not "E." I find that unusual. If these are indeed encrypted, I hope someone makes a submission for changing the RR DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.