New Scanner Help, Which one, What else do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smullen73

Premium Subscriber
I could use some help with a new Scanner, if someone has time...

I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to Scanners or the technology... A year or so ago, I picked up a Uniden BC125AT downloaded the Uniden Software, punched in a bunch of info from here, bumbled around for a few hours and was scanning..

I really enjoyed it but it came up missing and I never replaced it...

Now, I hear all the Analog frequencies in my area went dark for the new systems and I'm wanting to get another...

I feel I had pretty good luck with the Uniden before so I'm looking at them again...

The two units I'm looking at are the BCD396XT and the BCD325P2...

The questions I have are

1. Will those work with both the old Analog systems and the new Digital trunking, P2, etc.. etc..???
I would like to be able to monitor activities in my area (St. Louis-North County 63137) and when I'm down at my Cabin/Hole in the wall, the the areas from Fredericktown to Bonneterre... I'm not sure if they have switched to the newer gear yet.

2 What am I really getting with the BCD325P2 that I don't get with the BCD396XT for the extra cost???

***ETA*** After more reading/confusion, I may need the BCD325P2
I was looking at St. Louis Area Trunked Emergency Radio - SLATER (P25) Trunking System, St Louis Metro Area, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies and it mentions ""SLATER - Project 25 Phase II" which I don't think the cheaper one supports.... Or I'm way confused... Someone Straighten me out... :) Is there another Unit I should be looking at???

3. Software to Program it???
Looks like Uniden doesn't offer downloadable software for these like they did with the older one I had. So now I need to purchase a software called ARC-XT Pro to program them. Is that correct?

Also I need a USB cable too, seems they don't come with that now either...

Anything else I would need?

Thanks for any help... I'm reading and learning, but some of this stuff is like a another language too me...

Last edited:

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok welcome aboard,

ok with the uniden 396xt new in the box. it comes with the USB cable to hook to the computer. As far as the software, you can look on in the scanner programming software fourm and get a link for a copy of FREESCAN .

This software with help you program the scanner.

Ok the MO HP is still on P25, not yet in the P2 verison of the P25. Also all the Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS is still Analog.

All the Frequencies etc for the St Francois and Madison County area is listed in the Database here on the site.

I will be glad to help you.

smullen73

Premium Subscriber
Alright don't know if I should have or not, but I went ahead and ordered a BCD325P2 and the USB cable... Supposedly, the aftermarket one works better than the cable that comes with it...

I went with the 325P2 vs the BCD396XT as I figured I should invest in the one that had the newer Protocols so hopefully it lasts longer and not be outdated as fast...

Hopefully, its here by middle of the week... Once I get it, I'll look it over and see if I can figure it out myself and if not I'll post back here with results???

Status
Not open for further replies.