RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Missouri Radio Discussion Forum

Missouri Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Missouri.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Hollister / Taney CO Reception Problems

I travel to Branson frequently, and have recently purchased a home in Hollister.

I have a BCD325P2 - And have all the P25 Trunked frequencies inputed to my scanner relevant to Taney CO's P25 Public Safety trunked system, part of the state-wide system

Currently I am staying at the Chateau On the River Hotel (Located in Hollister) - far western Taney CO

I have a Radio Shack 800MHZ antenna, as well as a Wilson All Band antenna, and --several others- I have tried....

When I program Taney County (As part of Missouri's P25 Statewide Public Safety Trunked system
(With 161.8750 as the control channel) I am having extensive difficulty with receiving this P25 system

(i.e. Taney CO Sherrif, Hollister Dispatch, and Troop D (All for Taney CO)

When I program Taney CO with my 325P2, I first select the system (P25) then I select "Standard Trunk". - the two options are "Standard Trunk"
and "One-Freq Trunk"

I then input the frequencies for Taney CO's P25 System (Part of the Missouri Statewide Public Safety P25 Trunked System) and after using several antennas, I am continually having extensive difficulty monitoring this system (once again -- in the west part of Taney CO and can't monitor anything.

For example, tonight, as previously mentioned, I am staying at the Chateau On the Lake Hotel in Hollister, and although the scanner is displaying up to four bars, I am unable to monitor --anything--

(i.e. The TG might be displayed, but no voice reception is heard.

Is this usual for this specific area Taney CO, or am I failing to program the system correctly...I have never had any problems monitoring P25 systems with my BCD325P2 before...

If anyone is familiar with Taney's P25 system, and would be kind enough to help me, I would sincerely appreciate feedback as to what I might be doing incorrectly......

Last edited by drkatzjr; 04-17-2017 at 12:53 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2017, 7:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkatzjr View Post
I travel to Branson frequently, and have recently purchased a home in Hollister.

I have a BCD325P2 - And have all the P25 Trunked frequencies inputed to my scanner relevant to Taney CO's P25 Public Safety trunked system, part of the state-wide system

It is not Taney Countys system. It is MOSWIN, Taney County is merely a user.

Have you programmed in surrounding sites also?

Have they gone to all Moswin?
Old 04-18-2017, 2:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes. My main reception issue is with Taney on the MOSWIN

It could be simply the hotel that I'm staying at which is the Château on the Lake,
If you are for familiar with where that is located

When I am mobile, closer to the city, I have no problems

But I certainly do where I am right now…
Old 04-19-2017, 9:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

When you say you have trouble with reception do you get anything? Double check the control channel(s) too. And as I believe someone else suggested program the surrounding counties for MOSWIN, that should help.

I remember some issues receiving MOSWIN signals in the Branson area last year when my wife and I were down there. I am sure the big hills and valleys don't help.

Good luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Request a room move to a higher floor.
Old 04-21-2017, 2:34 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz86 View Post
Request a room move to a higher floor.
LOL. Wise advice.

But seriously, has anyone else experienced reception issues in Taney CO (especially the more -rural- areas)
on MOSWIN

I have programmed nearby counties as well. I have a BCD325P2

I have tried --multiple-- mobile antennas for my 325

In my home, should I try a discone antenna when at home? I will be living in Hollister

Any help / feedback would be appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 9:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've never had any reception issues when using my XTS5000 other than in obvious spots. Can't say about a scanner though, never tried.

Branson does have a lot of RFI in the city and then all the hills make for some interesting propagation.
Old Today, 7:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As I stated before I have had reception problems in Taney Co and areas nearby but I can not say there was a specific reason for the problems. Most monitoring was done in and near Branson. Keep trying, you might find a way to get better reception.