RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 4:57 PM

Default QuickCall II and Weather Alert

I had this nice idea with one of my HAM Motorolas, but I dobut it can be done. But here it goes:

If QuickCallII can detect tones and start beeping like a pager. Is it possible to get QuickCall to recognize the 1050 Hz tone sent on a weather alert. The closest possible match to that is 1063.2 and when comparing the tones - they barely sound different.

Can this be done. I have channel 12 set to a Weather Alert channel.

Would this minor tone offset make much of a difference.
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I know of several public safety agencies that had their Motorola Alert Monitors set to respond to NWS tone alerts. They ordered a single tone decoder for the receiver, then had the factory custom tune it to 1050 Hz. Likewise, the receiver was crystalled to either 162.400, 162.475, and 162.550 MHz. When the NWS would activate their alert tone, these receivers would trigger; thus, allowing the dispatcher to hear the watch/warning message.

73s

Ron
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM

You probably wont get it to alert on a tone that is 13 Hz away. You can be a couple hertz off, but thats probably too much.

What radio are you talking about? The maxtrac, for example, lets you enter tones that are not part of the QuickCall II list. I just tried it and the closest it lets me enter is 1050.2. That would definately work.

Good luck
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 AM

I have done it successfully on several Maxtracs, Maratracs, and HT1205 portables.

I have had it work well on Minitor IIIs and IVs, but have yet to try it on a Minitor V.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM

It's for an older series line of radio - the Motorola MT1000 from the Genesis series. Unfortunatley, you cannot program special tones into it. So, I guess it won't quite work. I'll just have to swap to the WX Channel when it looks like severe weather is approaching.
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2008, 5:27 AM
Troublemaker
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

You can program any tones you like into an MT1000, they don't need to be from any recognized plan.

From the RSS main screen:

F4 (CHANGE/CREATE/VIEW radio codeplug data)

F3 (QUICK CALL II table), then under QUICK CALL II CODE #1, manually enter 1050.0 for both the A and B tones, then enable the GROUP CALL option

F10 to save/exit

F6 (PER CHANNEL: Frequency and Channel Option), scroll to channel 12, tab down to Rx SQUELCH (CS/PL/QC) and change it to QC (1) (A)1050.0 (B)1050.0

F10 to save/exit

FYI, the radio MUST be on that channel to alert, and the toggle switch on top has to be in either PL/QC or carrier (monitor) mode for it to alert. It will not alert in scan mode, nor will it "silently" listen to that frequency if you're on another channel or scanning other channels. So basically, to have it act like an alert receiver without having to actually monitor the channel, you need to set the radio to Channel 12, then flip the toggle to the far left position (PL/QC mode).

If you want a professional grade, solid, reliable WX monitor, you're probably better off picking up a pager set to the local WX frequency with 1050.0 installed. G&G Communications sells used Director II's on the WX frequency of your choice with the 1050.0 tone filter installed. They go for $89.95 with a standard charger or $109.95 with an amplified charger. Just note that the Director II series does not have a monitor function, aside from manually holding the squelch/reset button down to listen. It will only open to monitor after it alerts, but will remain on monitor until you either reset it, turn it off, or the battery dies.

http://www.iinc.com/ggcomm/pager.html
Old 10-06-2008, 9:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will this trick work on a Saber 3 or an ASTRO 3? I hope I hope.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehelmet1202 View Post
I have done it successfully on several Maxtracs, Maratracs, and HT1205 portables.

I have had it work well on Minitor IIIs and IVs, but have yet to try it on a Minitor V.
Hey whitehelmet,
I tried messaging you but it didn't work. I hope you are still monitoring this thread. How did you setup the maxtrac to alert on the weather 1050hz tone?

thanks
ve5ps @ rocketmail . com