• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra Control Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Is there a way to change an Astro Spectra control head from W5 to W7 and be able to program all the buttons on the W7?

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
Is there a way to change an Astro Spectra control head from W5 to W7 and be able to program all the buttons on the W7?

While I think its possible to swap the heads, I dont think all the buttons will be functional. I have never swapped the two personally, but from what I have read on batlabs, I dont think all the functions will be compatible. I could be mistaken, its been a while since I last read the articles. Try to locate the articles on batlabs while your awaiting more RR responses.

KM4WLV

I think ( but I may be wrong ) but the buttons should work on the W7 head as long as they are set up the same way ( in RSS or CPS ), but if a button on the W7 doesn't "exisist" on the W5 its not going to work. Why not just take it in & have it set up for the W7 head? Just curious........

immelmen

There is no legit way to swap heads on Astro spectras like there is on XTL5k's. However, there is an underground method to change from W5 to W7 head on an Astro Spectra and have full functionality of the W7. It is a hack that requires specific software/equipment. a few minutes of searching on batlabs will give you the details.

ka8ypy

If you have the the ability to force a W7 codeplug with the features in it that you need, it can be changed.

SCPD

QRT
If you have the the ability to force a W7 codeplug with the features in it that you need, it can be changed.

Can I do this with the regular CPS or do I need the Lab software?
I did find a UHF (R band) W7 codeplug from codeplugssupersite. The codeplugs do have different flashcodes does this matter?

The information for my radio is
model number D04RKF9PW5ANSP01 and flashcode 000001-002000-5

The information for the codeplug I downloaded
model number D04RKH9PW7ANSP01 flashcode 100001-000000-7

immelmen

You need LAB, run in pure DOS...NOT a window. You will need an unpacked S-record IIRC.

Your flash is a basic as it gets, so pretty much anything you force into the radio will upgrade your features.(the one you have shown will add P25 digital)

be sure you have the right firmware in the radio to handle the flash.

and you will smoke the tuning values in the radio, so write them down beforehand.

If your going to attempt it, its worth some quality time searching and reading on the batboard, all the info is there.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have astro lab 3.04 but if says it for astro portables. It won't read the codeplug i download. Anybody have a way around this?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I have astro lab 3.04 but if says it for astro portables. It won't read the codeplug i download. Anybody have a way around this?
You aren't reading or writing the codeplug; you aren't doing anything with the codeplug because it will not change things. To me it sounds like you're very close to bricking your radio.

You need an s-record file, not a codeplug, from a radio that has the features you want. Do not unpack! If none of this makes sense go over to Batlabs and READ, then read some more. What immelmen says is right, follow his recommendations.

immelmen

Yeah, you are moving a bit too fast so I'll just add this real quick. Before you do ANYthing else with lab, read the S-record *with no un-pack* from your radio as is and save it to a disk and put it away as a backup.

Understand, if the LAB your using is Astro LAB, it is too old to even know what IMBE is. So, what your attempting to do is literally smash the binary data you rip from one radio into another....make a backup first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.