RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 9:53 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Default Astro Spectra Control Head

Is there a way to change an Astro Spectra control head from W5 to W7 and be able to program all the buttons on the W7?
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG4WHM View Post
Is there a way to change an Astro Spectra control head from W5 to W7 and be able to program all the buttons on the W7?
While I think its possible to swap the heads, I dont think all the buttons will be functional. I have never swapped the two personally, but from what I have read on batlabs, I dont think all the functions will be compatible. I could be mistaken, its been a while since I last read the articles. Try to locate the articles on batlabs while your awaiting more RR responses.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 PM

I think ( but I may be wrong ) but the buttons should work on the W7 head as long as they are set up the same way ( in RSS or CPS ), but if a button on the W7 doesn't "exisist" on the W5 its not going to work. Why not just take it in & have it set up for the W7 head? Just curious........
Old 02-26-2009, 4:01 AM

There is no legit way to swap heads on Astro spectras like there is on XTL5k's. However, there is an underground method to change from W5 to W7 head on an Astro Spectra and have full functionality of the W7. It is a hack that requires specific software/equipment. a few minutes of searching on batlabs will give you the details.
Old 02-27-2009, 9:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have the the ability to force a W7 codeplug with the features in it that you need, it can be changed.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka8ypy View Post
If you have the the ability to force a W7 codeplug with the features in it that you need, it can be changed.
Can I do this with the regular CPS or do I need the Lab software?
I did find a UHF (R band) W7 codeplug from codeplugssupersite. The codeplugs do have different flashcodes does this matter?

The information for my radio is
model number D04RKF9PW5ANSP01 and flashcode 000001-002000-5

The information for the codeplug I downloaded
model number D04RKH9PW7ANSP01 flashcode 100001-000000-7
Old 03-01-2009, 6:49 PM

You need LAB, run in pure DOS...NOT a window. You will need an unpacked S-record IIRC.

Your flash is a basic as it gets, so pretty much anything you force into the radio will upgrade your features.(the one you have shown will add P25 digital)

be sure you have the right firmware in the radio to handle the flash.

and you will smoke the tuning values in the radio, so write them down beforehand.

If your going to attempt it, its worth some quality time searching and reading on the batboard, all the info is there.

Last edited by immelmen; 03-01-2009 at 6:57 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 9:03 PM

I have astro lab 3.04 but if says it for astro portables. It won't read the codeplug i download. Anybody have a way around this?
Old 03-04-2009, 7:24 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
I have astro lab 3.04 but if says it for astro portables. It won't read the codeplug i download. Anybody have a way around this?
You aren't reading or writing the codeplug; you aren't doing anything with the codeplug because it will not change things. To me it sounds like you're very close to bricking your radio.

You need an s-record file, not a codeplug, from a radio that has the features you want. Do not unpack! If none of this makes sense go over to Batlabs and READ, then read some more. What immelmen says is right, follow his recommendations.
Please follow the forum rules and contact a moderator directly, not via a thread.
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2009, 2:49 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you are moving a bit too fast so I'll just add this real quick. Before you do ANYthing else with lab, read the S-record *with no un-pack* from your radio as is and save it to a disk and put it away as a backup.

Understand, if the LAB your using is Astro LAB, it is too old to even know what IMBE is. So, what your attempting to do is literally smash the binary data you rip from one radio into another....make a backup first.

Last edited by immelmen; 03-05-2009 at 3:00 AM..