I got my pager to program. I ended up using a usb to ttl cable from super droid robots.com. Here is the link to the cable I used:
USB to TTL 72in Serial Converter Cable
I cut the ttl adapter off the end leaving just standard wires
I just attached the green, yellow, and black wires to pins from a radio shack connector. Here is the connector:
25-Position Male Crimp D-Sub Connector - RadioShack.com
I tested multiple times until I got it to work. I used device manager to change my baud rate to 1200. I run windows 7 64 bit and windows automatically installed the drivers for the cable. I changed the usb delay in the program to 5 seconds and I still couldn't get it to work.
I then went back into device manager and clicked "advanced" and changed two things:
1. USB transfer size. I changed both to 1024
2. Lowered bm options to 10
PHOTO Attached of the advanced settings.
I then tried again and got it to work.
Once It worked I started to build it into an old charger stand. Because I was given a charger that was bad I didn't need to make it function as a charger and a programmer. Since I didn't need that option I removed the board from it. I then took a large channel lock and removed the plastic pin holders from the charger. (twist and pull). This is tough to explain, but I ended up making the holes flush with the rest of the pager (as viewed from the inside of it). I took my 3 wires with pins and placed them through the proper holes. I put my pager in (which then pushed the 3 pins back down a bit) and tested. It worked. Once I knew that my method worked, I took the pager back out, pushed the pins back in. Put the pager back in (pushing the pins slightly back out) and held everything in place. I then Hot glued the wires into place. I will attach a photo of the hot glued pins also. Once the first (minimal) layer of glue dried i tested one more time. Still worked so I then proceeded to fill the inside with hot glue so that no tension would be put on my wires.
There is only one minor issue that I have with my design. Because the pins are no longer spring loaded like the stock ones, I sometimes have to push the pager down slightly while reading it or writing to it. This could be solved my placing a dime on either side of the pins (underneath the pager) when you go to hot glue the pins. This would make the pager sit slightly higher and therefore make the pins go slightly higher up also.
I spend many hours of frustration on this project. Now that I have made it work I hope that my write up will help others! If you have questions please ask I will do my best to help.
Summary of my setup:
Usb to TTL cable
Charger that no longer functioned
Pins from a radio shack MALE d sub connector
Windows 7 64 bit
NOTE: I am running this program "as an administrator". Don't know if it makes a difference or not. I DIDN"T make it run in compatibility mode though!