RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 9:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The PM400 requires a jumper in the programming cable that the CDM/Maxtrac and ETC does not. I have made many of the cables and I know one goes to pin 3 of the RJ-45 and I think the other MIGHT go to pin 1. I will look in the AM and Post an update concerning this.......I have programmed at least 1000 of these in an entire state so I know this is the problem if you have the right PM400 software! In fact I have added a small switch to the cable to switch the jumper in and out so i can use the same cable.....I have a cable about 50ft long that I use on bulldozers on the top of truck beds!
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2012, 3:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
That is what I said. The Pro series (which is) for the CDM's won't work on the the CM/PM radios.
Sorry Steve, I totally misread your post!
Old 04-24-2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYQ1952 View Post
The PM400 requires a jumper in the programming cable that the CDM/Maxtrac and ETC does not. I have made many of the cables and I know one goes to pin 3 of the RJ-45 and I think the other MIGHT go to pin 1. I will look in the AM and Post an update concerning this.......I have programmed at least 1000 of these in an entire state so I know this is the problem if you have the right PM400 software! In fact I have added a small switch to the cable to switch the jumper in and out so i can use the same cable.....I have a cable about 50ft long that I use on bulldozers on the top of truck beds!
Jumpering Pins 1 and 3 is correct for the CM's & the PM's. I spent a very frantic night reading through old posts on batlabs to find the info. Finally found it in a post that was about 5 years old.

Neat trick with the long cables. I did the same here so I could use the Pro Series off an old XP desk top machine in the shop and still reach cars and trucks out in the service bay. (That was before the latest release, of course.)

Cheers!
Old 04-24-2012, 9:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes pin 1 and 3 tied together will allow a CDM/Maxtrac cable to program a PM400! Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Talking Pm400

OK THANKS sorry im new here i bought a new cable i will c what happens
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Smile Motorola pm400

I FIGURED IT OUT IT COST ME OVER $200.00 THOUGH I ENDED UP BUYING THE DISK FROM MOTOROLA R05.16 and the radio is a TKU (OCT OF 2009) MODEL AND THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED A ADAPTER TO PROGRAM IT BUT MY CABLE TURNED OUT TO BE OK ..
Old 05-06-2012, 7:14 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Talking Motorola pm400 programming

Hey guys i got it working i needed a newer version of the software which i got from motorola online . Radio turned out to be a 2009 model got it working but only gos to 470 not able to stretch it at all. Aftermarket cable works well (seperate from cdm)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM

So I'm left wondering... can you program both a CDM1250 and a PM400 using the same RKN4081C cable?
Old 06-29-2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird727 View Post
So I'm left wondering... can you program both a CDM1250 and a PM400 using the same RKN4081C cable?
Re-read the thread arefully. Here are the highlights.
  • The answer to your question is NO!
  • Pins 1 & 3 must be jumpered together to program the CM & PM radios.
  • If there is no voltage (+9.3vdc) applied to Pin 3, the CM or PM will not go into programming mode.
  • They are not jumpered in the stock RKN4081C.
  • Either the cable must be modified or an adapter built or purchased to use on the CM/PM radios.

I don't think I missed anything.
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2012, 7:24 AM

Thanks. I looked over the thread again and I think what I'm taking away is that you CAN use the ribless OEM RKN4081C cable to program a PM400 provided that you have the FKN8096B adapter. Did I get that right?
Old 06-29-2012, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird727 View Post
Thanks. I looked over the thread again and I think what I'm taking away is that you CAN use the ribless OEM RKN4081C cable to program a PM400 provided that you have the FKN8096B adapter. Did I get that right?
You are correct. That is exactly what Motorola wants you to do.

Or you can build an adapter for yourself for a lot less money. It is what I did. I had an RJ45 wall socket lying around, and a CAT-5 cable that was damaged. Jumper 1 & 3 and pass the other 6 straight through. Voila! Homebrew FKN8096B for pennies.

Still need the RKN4081 C, though.
Old 06-29-2012, 5:21 PM

Have always used the RKN4081 and FKN8096 flash adapter for programming PM400,CM200 and CM300.
The software license (RVN4191) runs $199 for 3 years subscription.