RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 8:48 PM

Default BPR40 Programming Problems

Hello,
I have two computers, XP and Win 7 64-bit both did no success. My main concern is the cable, some said that the same cable that programs the Motorola CP200 will do the programming to BPR40 while others said no, or cannot. But I will try again on my XP computer. Thank you

Bert
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 7:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

YOU CANNOT PROGRAM THE BPR WITH A CP CABLE. I program all day long. Use the right cable for the right job.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:44 PM

Thanks everybody that answered to my thread, it is worthwhile to do a research for anything that you do not know. I came to the conclusion that BPR40 uses a different programming cable, cables for CP200 and others will not work.

Bert
Old 09-20-2013, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've been forced to program those little..."radios" (I use the term loosely and consider them to be an embarrassment to the Motorola name) for over six years. By now I should know which cable they use and what works and what doesn't.

It's really nice that you finally came to the conclusion that experienced professionals have been telling you for two pages now.
Old 09-20-2013, 7:02 PM

Thank you Elroy for all kind words.

Bert
Sponsored links

Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I agree Elroy. Some would do better to by those little camping radios. How many filters have you gone through to narrowband those little crap nuggets?
Old 09-21-2013, 6:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hundreds. Literally hundreds. Possibly more than a thousand.

They NEVER meet reasonable sensitivity specs (often being a good 10 db deaf compared to even an HYT/Hytera radio) and power output is all over the place.

Worst of all, WTF is Motorola doing selling a radio in 2013 that actually requires you to use diddle sticks to adjust it? That went out of style in the 80s.

Incidentally, I find that both wideband and narrowband filters are affected by the corrosion problem, not just the narrowband filters. I usually replace both at once. Since the filters run in series in narrowband mode, if the wideband filter is bad, and the narrowband filter is good, the result will still be crap.

I strongly discourage people from buying BPR40s.

I was against HYT/Hytera radios until I got some across the bench. I'd take any HYT radio over a BPR40, any day of the week. The HYTs meet GOOD specs and have very good audio quality.
Old 09-21-2013, 7:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElroyJetson View Post
Hundreds. Literally hundreds. Possibly more than a thousand.

They NEVER meet reasonable sensitivity specs (often being a good 10 db deaf compared to even an HYT/Hytera radio) and power output is all over the place.

Worst of all, WTF is Motorola doing selling a radio in 2013 that actually requires you to use diddle sticks to adjust it? That went out of style in the 80s.

Incidentally, I find that both wideband and narrowband filters are affected by the corrosion problem, not just the narrowband filters. I usually replace both at once. Since the filters run in series in narrowband mode, if the wideband filter is bad, and the narrowband filter is good, the result will still be crap.

I strongly discourage people from buying BPR40s.

I was against HYT/Hytera radios until I got some across the bench. I'd take any HYT radio over a BPR40, any day of the week. The HYTs meet GOOD specs and have very good audio quality.
Elroy interesting comments. We have about 20 bpr 40 radios and they are all slowly dieing generally due to a deaf receiver or low transmit power. We are very easy on radios. Our wonderful dealer just keeps saying how great these little gems are and how they are one of the best selling motorola radios. They then happily offer to repair them for over half of the price of a new radio. When we complain they recommend the cp200 which is almost double the cost.

Needless to say we are switching vendors and moving to a vertex standard evg 534 radio that has three time the warranty, operates in analog and digital, and can be had for the same price of the cp200.

We know we are taking a risk on a relatively new product, but we mainly want to get away from the bpr40 and that crummy dealer and not break the bank.

Last edited by Kf4mnc; 09-21-2013 at 7:19 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 9:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FYI, the parts cost on the two filters that need replacing is about 6 dollars for the pair. That's cost to the customer, not dealer cost.

It takes half an hour to change out both filters if you haven't done it before.

With experience, maybe 15 minutes.

You DO have to be careful not to accidentally knock any surface mounted components off the board or displace them as some are very close to the pins that have to be desoldered to get the old filter out.

FAIR cost to replace both filters should be half an hour's labor and 6 dollars parts.

Any more than that and you're being ripped off.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I agree, the CP200 is replacing the BagOne's. I have a few customers asking me to fix and service them, I push the CP's. Ill even take the commission hit just so i dont have to deal with BPRs anymore.
Old 11-23-2013, 3:10 AM

Steve,
I have a mod # AZH84RCC8AA3, 16 ch, UHF, and need programming instructions DETAILED, & easy enough for a simpleton to do...
I have the cable and the "driver" cd coming, & the guy who sold it to me on ebay said the cd WOULD allow me to get the frequencies off of my 1st (programmed) radio, and then I could program my other (new) PRB40...
Could it be the "programming" IS on the CD even though it was advertised as "without"?
Thanks guys for any assistance you can offer...
Alyssa
Old 11-23-2013, 7:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If the model number of the two radios is not IDENTICAL, then you can not just read from one and write to the other. In that case you would have to remake your file.

The BPR40 software is about as simple as it gets. I do not believe that you need it laid out for you in detail. It's only slightly more complicated than brushing your teeth or combing your hair.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALYBLUEYZ View Post
I have a mod # AZH84RCC8AA3, 16 ch, UHF, and need programming instructions DETAILED, & easy enough for a simpleton to do...
I have the cable and the "driver" cd coming, & the guy who sold it to me on ebay said the cd WOULD allow me to get the frequencies off of my 1st (programmed) radio, and then I could program my other (new) PRB40...
Could it be the "programming" IS on the CD even though it was advertised as "without"?
If the CD that comes with the cable is about 3.25" in diameter then it only contains drivers for the USB. You will need the CPS to program the radio. Please read over this thread from the beginning as it contains information about properly obtaining the CPS.

FWIW, if you only need to program the radio one time, then taking it to a shop and paying the programming fee is a much more economical solution. Typical programming fees should run about $30 for a conventional radio. Since the CPS is currently $265 from Motorola, paying to have it programmed makes much more sense.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Sorry guys, I didn't know HOW to ask questions on the subject board, (or what ever its called) as I'm new to this.
I think its a good idea as well to pay for the programming... LOTS CHEAPER!
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1jbe View Post
I can tell you how to program them..BUT STOP ASKING FOR SOFTWARE.
ok how do i do it is there a free program i need
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2014, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramey View Post
ok how do i do it is there a free program i need
Read this entire thread again.

Then read the sticky at the top of the Motorola forum page regarding software (linked here so you can easily find it if "top of the page" is unclear to you):

Are you looking for free programming software?

There is no free software for programming the BPR40/Mag One radios. It is $265 from Motorola plus you need the proper cable to connect the radio to your computer. And, as we've pointed out again and again, programming radios properly takes time and experience to learn how to do. There is a steep learning curve in part because the software is not particularly intuitive or user friendly. As previously recommended, take it to a Motorola shop and for about $30 they'll set it up for you correctly. Be prepared to show an FCC license or letter of authorization for any Part 90 frequencies that you want programmed. Same for most other frequencies.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Software

Nice thing about Vertex Standard, all software (clone editor, soft copy service manuals, & firmware updates) are free.
businessonline.vertexstandard.com
Resource Center>Resource Center>Technical Information