• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola apx 7000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2shw

I have one of these radios, and the radio is nice, rather expensive but i cant get the radio to detect in the cps. i reformatted a computer just for this purpose, its running windows xp, 32 bit, the computer recognizes it as a modem, and i can ping the modem. but beyond the thing is useless, what am i doing wrong or what am i missing? the help is desperately needed, and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

XTS3000

Install the USB drivers, and the CPS will communicate with the radio

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I found that USB 1.1 can be a little bit of a problem. You may need to use 2.0 if it is an older machine.

rc50won

Premium Subscriber
Previous replies are correct. You do not have the drivers loaded. The APX radios use IP addressing so they appear as a networked device. If you have a firewall you will have to grant permission for this device.

1. Install CPS. It will install the drivers.
2. Attach cable to computer, radio to cable, turn radio on. The first time yo do this the computer will prompt with New Hardware Found-so tell it to automatically install the drivers. Wait for the for the Device Ready to Use Message.
3. Launch CPS. Make sure under Device/Communication Method, USB is selected.
4. Click Read a radio-USB. Wait a bit it takes some time before it finishes and verifies the codeplug.

Latest CPS is R04.00.01

If you have programmed Motorola radios before then your in for an awakening. If you haven't programmed Motorola radios before then your in for a rude awakening.

Marshall

jim202

I have one of these radios, and the radio is nice, rather expensive but i cant get the radio to detect in the cps. i reformatted a computer just for this purpose, its running windows xp, 32 bit, the computer recognizes it as a modem, and i can ping the modem. but beyond the thing is useless, what am i doing wrong or what am i missing? the help is desperately needed, and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If you were watching when the program was trying to install, it come up with a notice that your computer would need 2 Megs of RAM to run.

Not all USB ports on a computer have full support for the connection. You might want to try a different port.

Make sure your connections at the radio are clean and secure.

Jim

kc2shw

apx problem

i have done both of what was explained, could it be that version 2 cps which is the one that i am using is no good. or could it be like the johnson, where even if you have the software if it is not the right version you cant do anything. i am familiar with programming, i do it all the time, and am quite proficient at it, but this apx thing is a whole new ball game of pain in the neck.

kc2shw

If you were watching when the program was trying to install, it come up with a notice that your computer would need 2 Megs of RAM to run.

Not all USB ports on a computer have full support for the connection. You might want to try a different port.

Make sure your connections at the radio are clean and secure.

Jim

I just finished messing with the computer again, and i have un installed the cps, and the tuner, even went as far as went into the registry and killed the key, removed the instance of the radio from the hardware device manager, and reinstalled everything fresh after a restart. no matter what i do here, the radio will not come up in cps, i need help big time.

kc2shw

apx problem

funny maybe not frustrating definitely yes. i went today and tried on another machine running windows 7, and something else came up stating that it was installing the drivers, and again, no communication. there is not a programming mode that the radio has to be put into right? you know like the cope 4 sabers where you have to hold the 3 buttons and power on then read, anything like maybe?

USB issues

I just tried to program my new APX this PM. I found that my pc was set to block unsigned drivers. Once I set my system to warn (or Allow, whatever you wish) I rebooted the system. Then I connected the radio, and went into the device manager and found where it was listed (in network devices I think). I selected the radio properties and selected update driver. This time the driver installed after I clicked the allow unsigned driver button. Boom! Instant gratification! Now to figure out where they moved everything to.

It was rather decieving that my pc never even asked me if I wanted to install the unsigned driver, it just did not do it. Oh yea, I am running XP SP3.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've got to disable my wifi connection before the cps will talk to my apx.

Latest version of apx cps is 4.00.02.

kc2shw

I just tried to program my new APX this PM. I found that my pc was set to block unsigned drivers. Once I set my system to warn (or Allow, whatever you wish) I rebooted the system. Then I connected the radio, and went into the device manager and found where it was listed (in network devices I think). I selected the radio properties and selected update driver. This time the driver installed after I clicked the allow unsigned driver button. Boom! Instant gratification! Now to figure out where they moved everything to.

that works out great but one question, i have never seen that area where you can change that setting. where is that at, if you can tell the general location, i can find the rest, that might be what i need to do here, thanks for the info so far and its a lead in the right direction.

Nate22

APX Programming

I program APX radios for a major police department, I agree with the posts so far, however the latest software vesion is 5.0. The latest software version is a big improvement over the previous versions. Also if you are programming trunking systems you must have an advanced system key (a hardware device, usually a USB device) that only the Master System Key holder for that particular radio system can create) Also Motorola APX software is not compatible with Windows XP 64 bit. Stay with XP 32 bit or move up to Windows 7.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
There is a flashcode option for APX to allow legacy system keys to work with that radio.

johnoconnor98

Premium Subscriber
I program APX radios for a major police department, I agree with the posts so far, however the latest software vesion is 5.0. The latest software version is a big improvement over the previous versions. Also if you are programming trunking systems you must have an advanced system key (a hardware device, usually a USB device) that only the Master System Key holder for that particular radio system can create) Also Motorola APX software is not compatible with Windows XP 64 bit. Stay with XP 32 bit or move up to Windows 7.

Nate, can I pick you brain? I just started editing a codeplug for a local FD and I'm frustrated already.

Can you have multiple sections open at the same time like the XTL/XTS cps? I like to view teh Zone/Channel while I am editing the personality/TALKGROUPS so I can see the changes live. And also see which changes need to be made. Same with Scan lists/systems/

Which brings up #2, can you re-sort the items? Like in the XTS cps you can right-click thten say "MOVE TO" a row?

This APX CPS seems like 2 steps backwards!

ultima

7.0 is a much better improvement from previous versions. I used the migration tool to convert a XTS5000 to APEX 7000 with some tweeking it seems to be going well. One thing I can't get the multi key to work. I used a KVL + same code as the XTS5000 but no luck - anybody have a hit or clue why it didn't work ?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Depending on the KVL mode, you probably need to enable or disable PID key management.

ultima

After I enabled it and now I get Unknown Error! check target algorithm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.