RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM

Default HT1250 Programming Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkassell View Post
...I started at motorola.com, and you'd think they only sell phones and baby monitors - no link for radios, etc. If they want users to use legitimate, licensed software, you'd think they'd make it easier to find....

That is because Motorola sold their handset division. Motorola.com (owned by Google) is the handset side. Motorolasolutions.com is their 2-way radio side...

Honestly, and I am not trying to be a dick, but Motorolasolutions could care less about individuals wanting to buy their software... The little amount of money they make off guys like you is minuscule compared to the money made off of governments (local, state, federal)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
That link (https://businessonline.motorolasolut...om/default.asp) got me to a page to create an account - if that doesn't work, I'll try calling ( hate the endless phone systems, so trying to go through the web first ). Thanks for the info! Boy, they make it hard to give them money for overpriced software - I started at motorola.com, and you'd think they only sell phones and baby monitors - no link for radios, etc. If they want users to use legitimate, licensed software, you'd think they'd make it easier to find....
Here's the link to the login page https://www.motorolasolutionscollective.com/login

FWIW, the link that Mike gave you also takes me to the login page.

If you don't have an account with MOL, then you need to create one anyway.
Old 01-23-2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
That is because Motorola sold their handset division. Motorola.com (owned by Google) is the handset side. Motorolasolutions.com is their 2-way radio side...

Honestly, and I am not trying to be a dick, but Motorolasolutions could care less about individuals wanting to buy their software... The little amount of money they make off guys like you is minuscule compared to the money made off of governments (local, state, federal)

I get that, but if they don't care about the miniscule amount of money fire departments like mine contribute, why not make it easy? If I call and get bounced around, they will have to pay people to deal with me. Why not make it easy to find, the fire department will send $$, and Motorola doesn't have to pay an employee to deal with me, and I don't have to waste time.

Part of the FD's motivation for updating the radios stems from a recent communications failure at a fire involving mutual aid, which luckily did not lead to loss of life. I'm sure Motorola doesn't want their name mentioned as a contributing factor in any future tragedy, so why not make it accessible to those of us who need the equipment ( even for those who aren't emergency responders ), and skip the bad PR and ill will? All I'm looking for is a way to keep our gear updated, without sending it out and waiting for it to come back, and the FD is willing to pay for the equipment to do so. Our FD may only spend a few thousand dollars every few years on communications equipment, not enough to be on Motorola's radar by a long shot, but I bet if another company comes out with reliable and affordable equipment that's easy to work with, municipalities like mine would leave Motorola like rats off a sinking ship, and that would cost them millions. Just my humble opinion, sorry to rant ( getting frustrated that this quick task the chief asked me to take care of is turning into a project... ). Deep breath.

Anyway, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction - it's greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2014, 4:23 PM

Default HT1250 Programming Questions

Quote:
I get that, but if they don't care about the miniscule amount of money fire departments like mine contribute, why not make it easy? If I call and get bounced around, they will have to pay people to deal with me. Why not make it easy to find, the fire department will send $$, and Motorola doesn't have to pay an employee to deal with me, and I don't have to waste time.

Part of the FD's motivation for updating the radios stems from a recent communications failure at a fire involving mutual aid, which luckily did not lead to loss of life. I'm sure Motorola doesn't want their name mentioned as a contributing factor in any future tragedy, so why not make it accessible to those of us who need the equipment ( even for those who aren't emergency responders ), and skip the bad PR and ill will? All I'm looking for is a way to keep our gear updated, without sending it out and waiting for it to come back, and the FD is willing to pay for the equipment to do so. Our FD may only spend a few thousand dollars every few years on communications equipment, not enough to be on Motorola's radar by a long shot, but I bet if another company comes out with reliable and affordable equipment that's easy to work with, municipalities like mine would leave Motorola like rats off a sinking ship, and that would cost them millions. Just my humble opinion, sorry to rant ( getting frustrated that this quick task the chief asked me to take care of is turning into a project... ). Deep breath.

Anyway, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction - it's greatly appreciated.

There is reliable, and affordable equipment out there besides Motorola... Kenwood, and Vertex make decent gear for a very decent price, some of it is considerably better quality than the HT-1250 as well. Heck the analog IS rated VX927 I use occasionally, provided to me by one of my clients, is a MUCH better radio than the HT-1250 by a long shot IMHO. And hold 512 channels in 32 zones.

I read a saying probably on this board: you won't pay more but can find better than Motorola.